storyboards
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: storyboards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

storyboards

Does anyone have any good books they can recomend regarding storyboarding? Or perhaps a school?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny you should ask! I teach two storyboard classes at CCS in Detroit (www.ccscad.edu) and they're strictly storyboard classes- not intertwined with some Animation or Ad classes; it's a solid 16 weeks of drawing drawing and more drawing.

The two books I highly recommend are:

Setting Up Your Shots
    -by Jeremy Vineyard & illustrated by Jose Cruz
    (a very solid compendium of film/ video techniques)

Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
    -by Steve Katz
    (a great resource for understanding many cinematic moves & techniques and has many famous films' storyboards in this book)

Another book that I would recommend for storytelling would be:
    Graphic Storytelling & Visual Narrative
    -by Will Eisner
    (the dean of comic books tells of his methods which can easily be applied to storyboards)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    storyboard dave- thanks for the reply. Cool, recommended reading, I'm going to order them. Your class sounds like a load of fun. Can you share any of the excercises with me? Feel free to check out my sketchbook and give my narrative art some critiques and pointers. I'm looking for some new perspectives

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbs View Post
    storyboard dave- thanks for the reply. Cool, recommended reading, I'm going to order them. Your class sounds like a load of fun. Can you share any of the excercises with me? Feel free to check out my sketchbook and give my narrative art some critiques and pointers. I'm looking for some new perspectives
    Yeah, I try to keep the class lively. There's generally caffeine flowing freely and a good energy about it because a fair amount of it is done right there, on the spot and has a super tight time element to it.

One early exercise I do has to do with taking a photograph of a person, use it as an underlay and try to draw that person as a multitude of professions, ethnicities, ages, different body types, etc. AND it's got to be done quickly. Using the photograph as your only source of reference you'll have to pull out of your collective memory "what a police officer looks like". The pose is set in the photo- now it's your job to alter that photograph to make it look like someone else.

There's also 15 1/2 more weeks of classwork I toss out to the masses but that's just one exercise. There are also real jobs that I've worked on that I use for the class; I try to explain the parameters of each job, what works, what doesn't, what the client liked/ disliked, etc.- but they all have realistic parameters attached. It's about the practicality of the assignments too.

And I'll skip on over to your sketchbook eventually and give you some thoughts to your art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storyboard Dave- thanks for sharing the excercise, sounds like fun. What's a short amount of time? 5 mins? how many different characters? sounds like 15 and 1/2 weeks of goodies to me.8)
    cool man, it'd be awesome to get your feedback on my work

oh, and I ordered your recommended reading but they haven't arrived yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storyboard Dave- thanks for sharing the excercise, sounds like fun. What's a short amount of time? 5 mins? how many different characters? sounds like 15 and 1/2 weeks of goodies to me.8)
    cool man, it'd be awesome to get your feedback on my work

oh, and I ordered your recommended reading but they haven't arrived yet

For that assignment with drawing from photo reference, it's generally about twelve figures done in less than two hours (less if I gab & lecture too much)- again, without any reference as to what those individual professions look like. Part of it is a drawing assignment and the other part is to challenge your memory of these common people. It's also done with a Sharpie marker too so you have to get mighty confident in your line work- it's also about being able to lay down a confident & accurate line.

I'd like to think that those two books will help. I've found them to be worthwhile and even realized that the folks over in our Advertising program use them to help out their students in visualizing TV commercials.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool deal.

I'm going to challenge myself to do that excercise over the weekend. 12 characters in 2 hours is like 10 mins per.

I'm going to pick the 12 professions first and then do the sketches without reference.

I'll post the results in my sb, feel free to crit them and give me pointers or a new excercise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll post the results in my sb, feel free to crit them and give me pointers or a new excercise
    Consider a crit forwarded already! Go check out your other sketch thread and see if it makes any sense.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.