Sketchbook: Chasing Shapes - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Shapes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is beautiful. Keep up the great work. "Draw or die" I'm at that intersection right now

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. P Show.: thanks. Keep drawing. The draw or die thing is something I got from Marko Djurdjevic. It's a powerful statement.

Being inside just drawing every day is driving me slowly insane... I don't have any irl friends who are into drawing. Anyone who wants to help fight off the loneliness can add me to Skype.

Loomis is great. Everyone is always saying to study Loomis. But how many have really studied it?

Name:  loomis_heads_13.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  112.9 KB Name:  loomis_heads_14.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  93.6 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; October 20th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More.

Name:  loomis_heads_15.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  100.6 KB Name:  loomis_heads_16.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  91.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, studies are coming along. I actually think the best one out of the whole bunch is the guy you did from mind. You know, it has great character.

And bigger studies are a good idea too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaron: thanks man. Just gotta keep on going...

Oh god... today I woke up thinking it was like Thursday, but it's already Saturday. The week went by fast. There aren't enough hours in the day.

Name:  loomis_heads_17.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  98.4 KB Name:  loomis_heads_18.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  109.0 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; October 14th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You, my friend, are destined for great things. Your studies are great. I look forward to seeing many more of your updates

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newman10: thanks for the generous comment. I hope you're right.

I really dropped the ball on these studies... I take one day off and I already notice a drop in skill. Copying drawings should be the most basic thing ever but I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

And yeah, I know, why am I still doing Bargue drawings after all this time? Well, I'm just doing the block-ins to refresh my eye and to help with a cast drawing I started.
    With the Loomis studies I'm focusing mainly on construction and I've noticed that my measuring is getting sloppy. It's often hard to spot the drawing errors. I need to sharpen my eye. I need to learn how to see clearer.
    I've been thinking about accuracy a lot, and I wonder how important it really is. It just doesn't seem humanly possible to get 100% accuracy. Being a huge perfectionist this really bothers me. I mean, should I just settle for say like 90% accuracy; is it okay to be a millimeter off? How the hell can I get more accurate...... bleh.

Name:  loomis_heads_19.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  99.3 KB Name:  loomis_heads_20.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  bargue_block_in_practice_02.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  64.9 KB Name:  animal shapes.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  59.7 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; June 5th, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added a drawing tip

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, first of all - you`re doing great, so stop stressing about it

Second of all, don`t worry about making a perfect copy - Loomis was one, and only Loomis can be Loomis, just like you are nickydraws and only you can be nickydraws. Get it? What is more important here than making a perfect copy is - what have you learned? What piece of information did you pick up? Did you get a bit better at constructing a foot? If so, then you`ve reached your goal.
    I know how much being a perfectionist can take its toll. Let it go. Don`t copy - learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I love your sketchbook. All of the different studies are great (especially the perspective studies). I encouraged to try the same thing. Please keep the sketches and studies coming.

Looking for a mentor
    If you have a moment I would love any tips or critiques that might help me improve my work.

My sketchbook (please leave a critique)

SSG Group
    twilightmoon777
    Streben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm envious of your Loomis studies - all of it is great, as are your figure studies.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PxelSlayer: thanks for stopping by. You're right. Congrats with the job opportunity.
    phatbuddha: thank you.
    MatthewHD: thanks.

More block-in practice. When I finish I overlay them with the original drawings to show the mistakes. There are tons, but my eye isn't sharp enough to spot them during the drawing process. Often times you're just layering mistake on top of mistake. I've tried everything. Using a mirror, putting it upside down, standing back etc. I just can't see.

Name:  bargue_block_in_practice_03.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  82.7 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; June 12th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, more feet blockings! Well, it looks almost perfect to me at least, maybe not the top left one. But after a certain level, you simply wouldn't be able to make it perfect without a deep knowledge of structure and anatomy you know. I mean, afterall, a perfect copy of reality would still be inferior to an almost exact copy of reality but enhanced with knowledge and design, which means the former would be imperfect :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! Accuracy is improved through practice, so no stress. Accuracy, the way I like to see it, is also very helpful tool, it's kinda like a chess game, but not it's really a means to an end. What might help you in the head construction is to vary your sources a little bit. Loomis only tells part of the story and there are many sources out there that will help you with mass conception. It's very helpful to see how varying, seemingly contradicting information corresponds. Wire frame construction doesn't make you better at seeing patches of value, it can help you understand what's wrong when something is "off". People are often held back with the idea that they have to "side" with one theoretical concept, not realizing that most information is culmulative. It's a great strength to be able to solve the same problem from different points of view.

Keep working

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaron: thanks. I agree actually, but the point of copying Bargues is to train your accuracy so I don't think it's the time to be dealing with design or anatomy. Or maybe it is... Because Bargue certainly designed these drawings, by simplifying and so on, and he probably knew his anatomy... Hmm.. Still, the point of my exercises with them was solely accuracy. I just need that skill.

AndreasM: hey Andreas. Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely going to be studying other sources besides Loomis. It's just that, even after all this time, I still haven't got any solid figure construction method down. Out of all the books/methods/authors I enjoy Loomis the most. Just wanna get a starting point so I can begin doing stuff besides drawing from life.
    What did you mean with 'wire frame construction'? And tell me, do you feel like after your training at FAA that your eye is 'sharp'? Do you have less measuring issues?

I know it might look like I'm obsessing over accuracy too much. but it's an important part of drawing. A lot of beginner drawing issues could be solved by just focusing more on accuracy... Some people seem to think that if you draw accurately you're just copying. It's all about striking a balance imo, you need accurate observation and constructional knowledge.

Anyway, let's get this thing back on track...

Name:  loomis_heads_21.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  100.5 KB Name:  loomis_heads_22.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  103.0 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; June 20th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    Gottfried Bammes' drawings are pretty good example on "wire frame" construction. After the time at the FAA, I could definitely see better and felt like I had a better eye for seeing the important specifics. It's become a lot more natural to just draw and rely less on measuring. It takes time for some, less for other.

Getting a solid figure construction method nailed takes time, and for me, it has helped to use as many books and other sources of reference as possible - not in a consecutive manner, but all attacked as a mish-mash goop of information. Loomis's drawings are great, but they are concieved through line, so the forms are implied, not felt. If you search up kChen's demos, you'll find some very diagramatical drawings that clearly helps you set up figures in the shapes of boxes, cones and cylinders. If figure construction is a layer cake, kchen would be the foundation layer, on to which other layers of information is built.

It makes sense. At the bottom, you are dealing with shape, form, proportion, gesture and perspective. The next layer would be added with smaller forms, structure, function and so on. Different books offers different layers of information and it's up to the artist to figure out how to assemble them all.

I'm such a preachy bastard :p

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another MArko fan *draw or die?!?!

Fine progress... but why didn't u take up Burne Hogarths book....? Dont put ur art into these frames... break up those boring forms

-GUS G!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AndreasM: don't worry. I welcome a healthy discussion. Issues like these just keep spinning over and over in my head and it's good to hear what others think.

clanlord: thanks. I love Marko but I'm not a huge fan of Hogarth. What did you mean by frames and breaking up forms?

More Bargue block-in practice. Trying to emulate GCA's curriculum.

Name:  bargue_block_in_practice_04a.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  83.3 KB Name:  bargue_block_in_practice_04.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  92.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for doing the tutorial Nicky!!

Lovely clean lines too!!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some great studies in here man, ,liking the anatomy sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys...

Trying to sketch from mind. How Rubenesque. Can't draw for too long on this old 17 inch monitor without hurting my eyes.

Name:  doodle001.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  79.2 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; November 12th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Nicky,

Don't know if I had talk in Dutch to you, but other people have to read it to. I looked at your drawings and you have good skill (good spatial awareness too) and I see you also are searching for methods that are classic (although I would prefer timeless, because is basic knowledge to me me and not a dogmatic theory)

maybe this book is an eye opener. I have a lot of books and I am always looking for old books because they are writen by people who knew a lot of things that were thrown away. I am studying for art teacher and I am about to teach young children this year at the Gymnasium about this method (always considering criticly what works best)

I am practicing know on glass and though one might think it's cheating at first, it actualy trains your eyes to see relations and bulks first and afterwards you can check by measering (used like shooting at a goal with football training, though you see result on one moment and its gone the second, it comes back in your actual studies). The author says that if you practice a few months, your eyes are trained better then what you can do with measuring. Anyway, a lot to discuss, maar ik hoop dat je er iets mee kunt en ben benieuwd naar je reactie en commentaar, want dit is mooi spul om over te discusseren

http://www.archive.org/stream/drawin...age/2/mode/2up

o yeah, the harold speed book of painting is a good one to!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Laurentiusde_vasseur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your atelier figures are excellent. And so is your loomis studies. Keep at it. =)

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,

just stumbled into this sb, fellow dutchie trying to make it with art.
    At least you've improved massively in the past few years, hot damn!
    If you don't mind me asking: where are you at?
    I just read you're looking for drawing buddies and I know exactly what you mean about sitting at home
    drawing, slowly losing one's mind... maybe we can work something out?
    Drop me a line, in a pm or at my email or something.
    Keep at it, best wishes.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Laurentiusde_vasseur: hello, thanks for commenting! Old books are the best. People weren't afraid of discussing techniques back then. I've built up a nice little library of books and I'm always searching for more. I'll check out that book you've linked. It's cool that you're studying to be an art teacher and actually interested in technique. Wish I had a teacher like that back in high school.
    Immortal Cintiq: thanks!
    Harmageddon: thanks, Harm. I'm in Zuid-Holland. I'll try to catch you online some time.

Nothing exciting. Just getting back to daily Loomis.

Name:  loomis_heads_23.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  124.8 KB Name:  loomis_heads_24.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  loomis_heads_25.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  102.3 KB Name:  loomis_heads_26.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  89.9 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; November 5th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these forms are looking solid!
    nice work. :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man.. youve really mastered that pencil! im jealous..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nick, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and saying all those nice things.

Your sketchbook is amazing! The progress you've made is absolutely wonderful and inspiring. I'll be visiting now that I'm subscribed to your thread, so please keep posting. You're work is excellent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saurabhinator: thanks.
    Eric-Anthony: hardly, but thanks!
    Blackbridge: thanks, I've been subscribed to yours too.

Name:  loomis_heads_27.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  104.7 KB Name:  loomis_heads_28.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  102.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait. Only a day and a half of work. It was my first time drawing on toned paper and I was unsure how to use the white chalk. It's just for highlights and the lightest lights, right?

Name:  self portrait 01.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  272.8 KB

Last edited by nickydraws; November 20th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nickydraws For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your self-portrait absolutely rocks Nicky!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1