Art: Top 10 fun things to draw!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Top 10 fun things to draw!

Here's my latest commission for Computer Arts magazine (issue #140), it accompanies a column listing "the top 10 fun things to draw" which were:
    1. Robots
    2. Monkeys
    3. Female Figures
    4. Skulls/Skeletons
    5. Monsters/mutants
    6. the paranormal (eg aliens, angels demons)
    7. Surrealism
    8. Dogs
    9. Human heads/faces
    10. Birds

Hope you all like it!

PS. anybody who wants to do their own version of the list, feel free to add it to the thread, I don't mind.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    I don't want to be an ass, but it looks very unfinished. It looks like you painted over those outlines by mistake, not on purpose. The red demon on the left looks like the only one you spent some effort to colour. It just feels sketchy... Comparing with the works in your sketchbook confirms my idea.

Nice characters, though!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    I like it, it seems like a good way to get some work done if your stuck for ideas..choose the top 10 cool things to draw...and draw them..nice! Also i wouldn't say that it looks "Very" unfinished, i think it looks finished enough..

Thanks
    I read the title of this thread and thought it was just a reel-in ploy, then I saw your list and finally I laughed when I saw the image that confirmed it was an actual commission. I actually laughed out loud at the boldness of the magazine's idea. Very cool!

You seem to have approached it well. As for the painting over the outlines comment... Personally, I'm not attracted to stringently outlined art such as anime and comic book art because I find it constricting to no end...but that's my personal preference. The only issue I had (and it might be beside the point of the piece) is the limited pallette.

The outlining might not be up to the snuff of an exceptionally nitpicky critic (but then what is?). I think this piece has a fine chance of winning the spot on CA Magazine based on character alone.

Thanks
    its well done. i think the execution of it fits. it would lose a bit of its quality if it were a 'finished' piece, in terms of complete refinement. it works for what it is.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

Thanks
    Whyatt: I think you've misunderstood the technique I used. The lines were on a locked layer abover the colours and coloured intentionally. I get the impression you think the brush I used to colour the art was loosely applied and went over the lines which would seem unfinished. However if you look more carefully you'll notice that the lines of the hair, for example, are coloured dark blue which wouldn't happen if you accidentally went over with white. I'm also guessing you compared this to my older work in my sketchbook which has black lines because I never used to colour the lines themselves. Or look at the flame on the angel's hair, if you paint over a black line with yellow, it won't go orange. Glad you liked the characters, but found your general comment to be quite rude in it's delivery though.

Prophet: Thanks for the back up mate

Troglodyte: I laughed when I saw the commission too, my response was "Hold on, you're paying me to draw this? Fantastic!" Excellent comment, thanks buddy.

Oh, and it wasn't a competition (the commission was just for me and is in print as we speak), I just thought that I had so much fun with it that other people enjoy doing the same they could share their own versions here if they wanted to, just for fun, like a community activity

Jushra: Thanks, glad you like it

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    I read wyatts coments and i just visited your web site, and i have to be honest, i can see what he is saying. Don,t take this to harsh, but your images on your website do have a much higher quality to them. i can see what you have been trying to do, and in certain areas its worked brilliantly, however in certain other areas it hasn't so well. i guess a good example would be the woman on the left, parts of her stand out really well, but theres other parts on her that, mainly on her right side, you cant see the black outline in the shadow, and becouse her shadow and the demons shadow are of the same tone, the 2 figures look lost amongst each other. Maybe if you kept the dark lines in the shadow areas and the lighter coloured lines in the light area, it would have much more impact. Sorry if i offend, not trying to, just trying to help.

Thanks
    Nice drawing and my list would be:
    1-Dragons
    2-Manga
    3-Angels/Demons
    4-Weapons(I.E. The law of ueki:Masshu/Ressen/kurogane and so forth)
    5-Punching,standing,sleeping figures
    6-Guns
    7-Robots
    8-Cities
    9-Swords
    10-Anime characters and then modifying them a little =D

Thats my top 10 List totally of top of my head.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.