Art: Noob Question - Inking

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Noob Question - Inking

Hi. I just want to know what kind of paper/surfaces that are best for inking, and what kind of pens I could use to basically trace pencil lines. I'm not asking for high-grade professional quality stuff I could use. Just pretty much basic materials you need to ink and good enough for simple sketching. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, that depends on how you want to go over the pencil lines. If you want uniform line widths, then you would probably want to use a technical pen of some sort. Pigma Micron pens are popular disposable tech pens that come in a variety or size ranges. They cost between $2 and $4 U.S., depending on where you buy them. They last an okay amount of time, but certainly don't last forever. It had been my experience, while using them, that a pen would last about the length of a single drawing. Of course, I go a bit ink-heavy. They have felt tips, so you have to worry about crushing the tips, as well as having to worry about them drying out if left uncapped for a long period of time. This could mean that you're replacing your pens often, a cost which can add up. Still, the purchase of a few, just to see if you like them, is something I would recommend. If you find it's to your taste, you can always graduate to a more permanent solution, like the Rapidograph.

If you want something with more of a variable stroke, there are quill pens, which are pretty common. Speedball is a good starter brand. The stylus runs a few dollars, and the nibs are inexpensive as well. The stylus lasts forever, and so should the nibs, if you take care of them. Then, the only cost would be the ink, which buy wells of, and dip the pen into. Learning to ink with a quill takes practice, though. There's a learning curve. So, if you want to save yourself the trouble, then perhaps the tech pen would be more to your liking.

As for paper. Hot press bristol board, which is a heavy weight paper with a smooth surface, is a nice, inexpensive, choice for general purpose inking. The hot press is better than the cold press or vellum surface, because the smooth surface helps to prevent bleeding. You can find a pad of 40 sheets for anywhere between $9 to $20 U.S., depending on the size of the paper and the manufacturer. My personal favorite has always been Bienfang, which is a good mid-quality paper, as well as affordable. Still, that's just a personal preference. Just about any bristol paper will do, and they are all priced within the same range.

I hope this info helps. Good luck!

Thanks
    thanks, man! Glad you replied.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.