Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix

Topic: Galaxy Grand Prix

Edit: Changed the name from Galaxy Grand Prize to Galaxy Grand Prix as some people said it would be better and more clear Feel free to keep the old name though.

Background:

Galaxy Grand Prix

3000 years in the future, mankind is well under way of spreading out over the universe. Although Empire Earth has always been the main conglomerate of planets, little Kingdoms, Federations and Republics have already been formed on the outer edges of known space. Still, brave volunteers set out from their home to explore and colonize new worlds.

Trade routes between worlds are bustling with activity. However, traveling between the stars is still far from being fast and comfortable, let alone safe. Communications and supply lines are being maintained by brave pilots that travel through the vacuum of space in spacecrafts of all shapes and sizes. They are regarded as heroes and a pilot will always find a warm welcome on even the smallest of colonies. They are the pioneers of space travel not unlike the heroic figures of the past who meddled with puffing and smoking engines in airplanes not much more than wood and fabric, held together by sheer madness to fulfill an old dream: to fly.

One effort to push the boundaries of technology is the Galaxy Grand Prix. This race is founded (and funded) by Lord Baston, a man who became rich by setting up the first mining operation in an asteroid field. The winner has to complete a tour along the 6 main planets of Empire earth (it ends on earth itself) within a month’s time. In the twelve years of running no pilot has been able to claim the prize yet, but this year rumor says it is bound to happen.

Pilots from all over human controlled space have come to compete. Their spacecrafts vary from sleek yachts to large custom build freighters, all painted with personal crests or national colors to show where they come from or who they race for. They are all build for speed, but some have also included the latest luxuries to make the journey as comfortable as possible.

Brief:
    1. Design one of the spacecrafts that competes in the Galaxy Grand Prix.
    2. Descripiton is needed. One of the things to think about is where the pilot comes from, as anyone rich enough to enter this race will of course have a spacecraft that is custom build to fulfill the likes and needs of the pilot. Remember, it has to be human made as their has not yet been alien contact
    3. Show where the pilot comes from by including national colors/crests/whatever. If anything, the race is a mather of national pride.

Deadline: Tuesday September 11 2007

Last edited by yoitisi; September 7th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmm I might get back to the description tomorrow to check the spelling again. Some people made comments about a little more background in earlier topics, so here you are. Hope you all like the topic

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    this looks pretty interesting, could turn out to be realy good, lots of scope for imagination, with plenty of rich colours, great topic yoitisi, hopefully ill have time to enter this one

Thanks
    ~Final~
    IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix

From the small ocean planet of Espertia, the Espertian Voyager and its crew of two have entered the Galaxy Grand Prize since its inception. Although the ship has never won the race, the Espertians take honour and pride knowing that their isolated world can unite and cheer for one cause.

Last edited by ScaryPotato; September 12th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    i read the thread title and i thought "i hope this isn't some lame something or other"

i than read the description... and this will be epic!

Thanks
    okay, final final, thanks for the crits along the way guys

The Canadian Protectorate Systems' entry into the Galaxy Grand Prize race is an experimental state funded craft, designation HRM 7113. Although it may not appear as sleek or sporty as some private craft in the race it more than makes up for it with the best hardware available to the resources of its government.

Last edited by invinciblewombat; September 9th, 2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks
    i like the design, and i dont see anything wrong with your ship, but i think you need to work on your picture itself, at the moment it looks lifeless, i know space is black, but maybe add some colour to its, some reds or purples, etc.... omaybe give the ship some lights , like most planes do.

Thanks
    Legato: Is the title that bad?

invinceblewombat: I agree with Grenogs, it looks a little basic still, it just begs for more detail (although it is fit for the poll so no worries there but with a little more effort it would look that much better I think)

Time for some thumbnails of my own I'm trying to get the feeling I get when looking at photographs of old biplanes into my design. Also, as probably most of the spacecraft consists of machines, engines etc. (because it has to go very fast instead of being comfortable) I don't want to make the pilots cockpit and living space too big.

I think I'll go for nr. 12, as I like the idea of having three engines like the Junkers 52 and Savoia Marchetti from WW2. The big ring-like structure should represent some sort of hyperspace-coil...and I still have to think how to include some personal crest and/or flags and banners on it...

Thanks
    i like your roughs yoitisi, some bizar looking ships you got there,

Thanks
    I've never done this before so why not...sounds like a fun topic. Here is my initial sketch for a Japanese corvette converted to freighter called the JMS Rodan. The front will have the rodan stylized head and the rising sun on the sides all tied together is a spiffy paintjob. Reading the description it reminded me of bomber crews during WWII, so I would imagine some inventive and stylized paintjobs on these...to make them unique and show off a bit.

I was influenced by the design of late 19th century steamships and early 20th century warships. Simple but dominant shapes...like a knife blade cutting through the water...again thought this fit the Japanese motiff. I'll have a final up soon. Great stuff on here so far.

B

Last edited by brian_h; September 6th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Do you mean "Galaxy Grand Prix" because a prize would be something you win, and from the description it sounds like you want a race, and a Grand Prix would be just that.

U thought i would never be SH** but look at me now, look at me now!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_h View Post
    I've never done this before so why not...sounds like a fun topic. Here is my initial sketch for a Japanese corvette converted to freighter called the JMS Rodan. The front will have the rodan stylized head and the rising sun on the sides all tied together is a spiffy paintjob. Reading the description it reminded me of bomber crews during WWII, so I would imagine some inventive and stylized paintjobs on these...to make them unique and show off a bit.

I was influenced by the design of late 19th century steamships and early 20th century warships. Simple but dominant shapes...like a knife blade cutting through the water...again thought this fit the Japanese motiff. I'll have a final up soon. Great stuff on here so far.

B
    i'd love to see your entry, but alas! your link is messed ;_;

and yeah... grand prix makes MUCH more sense and "prize" is what made me start worrying when i read the topic

Thanks
    Here lets try this link...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.