IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix

Topic: Galaxy Grand Prix

Edit: Changed the name from Galaxy Grand Prize to Galaxy Grand Prix as some people said it would be better and more clear Feel free to keep the old name though.

Background:

Galaxy Grand Prix

3000 years in the future, mankind is well under way of spreading out over the universe. Although Empire Earth has always been the main conglomerate of planets, little Kingdoms, Federations and Republics have already been formed on the outer edges of known space. Still, brave volunteers set out from their home to explore and colonize new worlds.

Trade routes between worlds are bustling with activity. However, traveling between the stars is still far from being fast and comfortable, let alone safe. Communications and supply lines are being maintained by brave pilots that travel through the vacuum of space in spacecrafts of all shapes and sizes. They are regarded as heroes and a pilot will always find a warm welcome on even the smallest of colonies. They are the pioneers of space travel not unlike the heroic figures of the past who meddled with puffing and smoking engines in airplanes not much more than wood and fabric, held together by sheer madness to fulfill an old dream: to fly.

One effort to push the boundaries of technology is the Galaxy Grand Prix. This race is founded (and funded) by Lord Baston, a man who became rich by setting up the first mining operation in an asteroid field. The winner has to complete a tour along the 6 main planets of Empire earth (it ends on earth itself) within a month’s time. In the twelve years of running no pilot has been able to claim the prize yet, but this year rumor says it is bound to happen.

Pilots from all over human controlled space have come to compete. Their spacecrafts vary from sleek yachts to large custom build freighters, all painted with personal crests or national colors to show where they come from or who they race for. They are all build for speed, but some have also included the latest luxuries to make the journey as comfortable as possible.

Brief:
    1. Design one of the spacecrafts that competes in the Galaxy Grand Prix.
    2. Descripiton is needed. One of the things to think about is where the pilot comes from, as anyone rich enough to enter this race will of course have a spacecraft that is custom build to fulfill the likes and needs of the pilot. Remember, it has to be human made as their has not yet been alien contact
    3. Show where the pilot comes from by including national colors/crests/whatever. If anything, the race is a mather of national pride.

Deadline: Tuesday September 11 2007

Last edited by yoitisi; September 7th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmm I might get back to the description tomorrow to check the spelling again. Some people made comments about a little more background in earlier topics, so here you are. Hope you all like the topic

Thanks
    this looks pretty interesting, could turn out to be realy good, lots of scope for imagination, with plenty of rich colours, great topic yoitisi, hopefully ill have time to enter this one

Thanks
    ~Final~

From the small ocean planet of Espertia, the Espertian Voyager and its crew of two have entered the Galaxy Grand Prize since its inception. Although the ship has never won the race, the Espertians take honour and pride knowing that their isolated world can unite and cheer for one cause.

Last edited by ScaryPotato; September 12th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    i read the thread title and i thought "i hope this isn't some lame something or other"

i than read the description... and this will be epic!

Thanks
    okay, final final, thanks for the crits along the way guys

The Canadian Protectorate Systems' entry into the Galaxy Grand Prize race is an experimental state funded craft, designation HRM 7113. Although it may not appear as sleek or sporty as some private craft in the race it more than makes up for it with the best hardware available to the resources of its government.

Last edited by invinciblewombat; September 9th, 2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks
    i like the design, and i dont see anything wrong with your ship, but i think you need to work on your picture itself, at the moment it looks lifeless, i know space is black, but maybe add some colour to its, some reds or purples, etc.... omaybe give the ship some lights , like most planes do.

Thanks
    Legato: Is the title that bad?

invinceblewombat: I agree with Grenogs, it looks a little basic still, it just begs for more detail (although it is fit for the poll so no worries there but with a little more effort it would look that much better I think)

Time for some thumbnails of my own I'm trying to get the feeling I get when looking at photographs of old biplanes into my design. Also, as probably most of the spacecraft consists of machines, engines etc. (because it has to go very fast instead of being comfortable) I don't want to make the pilots cockpit and living space too big.

I think I'll go for nr. 12, as I like the idea of having three engines like the Junkers 52 and Savoia Marchetti from WW2. The big ring-like structure should represent some sort of hyperspace-coil...and I still have to think how to include some personal crest and/or flags and banners on it...

Thanks
    i like your roughs yoitisi, some bizar looking ships you got there,

Thanks
    I've never done this before so why not...sounds like a fun topic. Here is my initial sketch for a Japanese corvette converted to freighter called the JMS Rodan. The front will have the rodan stylized head and the rising sun on the sides all tied together is a spiffy paintjob. Reading the description it reminded me of bomber crews during WWII, so I would imagine some inventive and stylized paintjobs on these...to make them unique and show off a bit.

I was influenced by the design of late 19th century steamships and early 20th century warships. Simple but dominant shapes...like a knife blade cutting through the water...again thought this fit the Japanese motiff. I'll have a final up soon. Great stuff on here so far.

B

Last edited by brian_h; September 6th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Do you mean "Galaxy Grand Prix" because a prize would be something you win, and from the description it sounds like you want a race, and a Grand Prix would be just that.

U thought i would never be SH** but look at me now, look at me now!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_h View Post
    I've never done this before so why not...sounds like a fun topic. Here is my initial sketch for a Japanese corvette converted to freighter called the JMS Rodan. The front will have the rodan stylized head and the rising sun on the sides all tied together is a spiffy paintjob. Reading the description it reminded me of bomber crews during WWII, so I would imagine some inventive and stylized paintjobs on these...to make them unique and show off a bit.

I was influenced by the design of late 19th century steamships and early 20th century warships. Simple but dominant shapes...like a knife blade cutting through the water...again thought this fit the Japanese motiff. I'll have a final up soon. Great stuff on here so far.

B
    i'd love to see your entry, but alas! your link is messed ;_;

and yeah... grand prix makes MUCH more sense and "prize" is what made me start worrying when i read the topic

Thanks
    Here lets try this link...

Thanks
    heya all

awesome topic yoitisi.. and you have some really nice sketches, the mass of engines in no. 12 is kewl but i really like the front end of no. 10 and the shape of what i guess is no. 13, it just looks faster hehe.

I did some rndm vehicle thumbs in ps, trying to come up with a design that i want to take further.. running out of time...

Last edited by Adi.; September 12th, 2007 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    so... im pretty sure my ship is fairly larger than most of your guys'

Thanks
    Hey yoitisi, I didnt know you were from the netherlands. Do you have msn or something, I would like to talk to you about some project.

Send me a pm if you will..

on topic: really interesting subject, if I have some time I'll try something.

Thanks
    Comixink, Legato: Hmm I think I'll change it just so everyone gets it first time around.Actually, the word 'prix' is just French for 'prize'. I thought it would fit the topic better to make the name a bit different from 'grand prix' because in my mind it is too much connected to some sort of formula 1 (which thinking about it isn't bad at all...). Still, for people who want to keep the old name it's no big deal

Epias: As dutch as can be I'll send a pm although I have to say I'm rather busy at the moment.

Adi.: Thanks for the input. I'm going to incorporate some elements of the others in nr. 12 I think. As for your thumbs I like the second from the right in the top row. It looks sort of... sharp One thing, your thumbs are rather abstract with little recognizable bits like engines and stuff which makes it hard to read. Also adding just a few shadows here and there really helps to make them more 3d I think. Still, they're only thumbs yet.

Brian H: I like were you're going with the Japanese boat-like design. However, the perspective in your drawing seems to change from one place to the other. The bow for example seems to have a completly different point of view than the wing and engine.

Invinciblewombat: Cheers! Good to see you spend some more time on the topic, I like the last version better. I looks a lot more interesting now

Last edited by yoitisi; September 7th, 2007 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Adi. man those are sick, but remember it's a space race! They need not be so aerodynamic, there is no gravity/air/inertia in space so you can pretty much play with any shape/size.

U thought i would never be SH** but look at me now, look at me now!

Thanks
    Ok i'm in on this one...

Some quick thumbnails...went with a 2 - 3 person ship, then decided to try the freighter ship.

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Rats, I just saw this thread yesterday. I don't think I'll have enough time to work out a good rendering by Tuesday, especially since I'm new and slow, but if I do get a chance I'll at least post a sketch here.

Thanks
    Man, I just can't get into my big and clunky idea. SO boring. I'm going to rework some of my boat ideas and try getting something done quickly...
    There are some really outsdanting thumbnails and sketches going on, man alive!

Thanks
    well, not as refined as i would have liked, but i think i stretched myself a bit in ways i haven't stretched before in terms of color and light... and failed... couldn't get the lights to go the way i was aiming for, in regards to the two forward main engines ;_;

i was going for the large flying engine concept, and between having played my fair share of EVE online, reading "the forever war" over the past 2 days, and listening to hacked parts of the "sunshine" soundtrack it wasn't always easy to keep on a fairly uninspired track, but i think i managed

colors used were just random in that they don't represent any country in particular. in fact it started off orange and blue, but that caused death in a few test subjects so i just changed it

wasn't sure on the presence of jump drive technology or FTL drives, so i was going for a fairly generic looking engine system, however the rear engine would probably serve in regards of the "super go fast speed" needed to get from A to B

rabble rabble rabble

Thanks

OrangeCicle

Here is my 3D rendering so far. Been re-learning Maya (its been over 4 years!) so I decided to build one of my thumbnails into a model for good practice.

Anyway here is a quick render, hope to get a sketch done in time for the deadline!

not entirely sure about the japanese translation of Orange Fish. I'll have top get a better one from someone at work. And obviously, the ship will be orange

Last edited by Hiddnfox; September 9th, 2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: none

Thanks

Wip

FINAL

The craft wasn't working so I finished the background first and I'm pleased with how it has come out - the ship itself still isn't playing.

invinceblewombat - like both designs I think the first had some potential but needed to be brought together a bit more, the revamp looks interesting but I think that you'd need to be careful to avoid what has been done before.

legato - I had similar thoughts about how to handle propulsion, I think that the background of your current image needs some work as it distracts from the rest of the piece.

yoitisi - I like the strong style to the designs, nicely out of the ordinary.

Last edited by D-Holme; September 13th, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Holme View Post
    WIP

The craft wasn't working so I finished the background first and I'm pleased with how it has come out - the ship itself still isn't playing.

invinceblewombat - like both designs I think the first had some potential but needed to be brought together a bit more, the revamp looks interesting but I think that you'd need to be careful to avoid what has been done before.

legato - I had similar thoughts about how to handle propulsion, I think that the background of your current image needs some work as it distracts from the rest of the piece.

yoitisi - I like the strong style to the designs, nicely out of the ordinary.
    never done a space background before... and i prolly don't have much time to learn how... should i just do my patented "grey background of awesome"?

Thanks
    First post

Only saw this one today and this time decided to have a go

I gave the ship a solar sail, looks a bit wrong right now? is pretty plain right now.. I'll try to sort to it out tomorrow+ add some more details and colour if I can

errmm little things at the bottom sticking out will be solar panels.. the sail folds out from the front.. andd the circle things will be simple engines. I added a little logo too

there we go

Thanks
    WIP updated - trying to maintain everything in perspective. My aim is to include the stylings as livery over the top rather than too strongly influence the design-form in a particular aesthetic.

Legato - always good practice, but at the moment I can't find any direction within the image, my eye just wanders across it without finding any point to lock on to - I wondered whether perhaps tweaking the levels of the fore and background (taking the tone of the blue-clouds down a bit) might bring out better definition.

yoitisi (and everyone else) - work has really ramped up for the next day or so would there be any chance of a bit of an extension? If everyone one else finishes on time then forget about it.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Holme View Post
    WIP updated - trying to maintain everything in perspective. My aim is to include the stylings as livery over the top rather than too strongly influence the design-form in a particular aesthetic.

Legato - always good practice, but at the moment I can't find any direction within the image, my eye just wanders across it without finding any point to lock on to - I wondered whether perhaps tweaking the levels of the fore and background (taking the tone of the blue-clouds down a bit) might bring out better definition.

yoitisi (and everyone else) - work has really ramped up for the next day or so would there be any chance of a bit of an extension? If everyone one else finishes on time then forget about it.
    meh.. how is it now?

Thanks
    This is the entry from the NU.S.S.R. It contains a mass drive powered by asteroids ground up through the front port and expelled electromagnetically from the rear or the craft. Small living quarters are above. Its a bumpy ride, but no pit stops for gas.

Thanks
    Alright, all I had time for was a thumbnail. Not much compared to some of the excellent work here, but I'm a hobbyist with little experience. I'm growing. I think.

The Callisto Dragonfly team is a return entry to the Galaxy Grand Prix. Last year they completed the circuit in 2 months, 1 week. This year they boast several critical improvements that will allow them to win the race.

They will launch from their home moon, Callisto, and quickly mount their ship to one of the larger Trojan asteroids. Once stabilized, they capture a smaller asteroid using their gravitation ray, then send it hurtling into space at extreme velocity along the path the ship will soon follow.

They repeat this process several times, each time launching the asteroid at a slower velocity. All this time, the ship is consuming the large asteroid it sits on to fill its large fuel tanks with mass that will eventually break apart into energy. This pre-launch process takes a few days, and then the vessel disembarks along the newly-created path dotted with refueling asteroids. Because of this abundance of fuel, the ship is able to accelerate for longer periods of time than the other teams.

Last year the team mis-launched several asteroids and lost precious time chasing after the off-course asteroids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1