Sketchbook: Yoakum Book (nudity?) *March-2.74-11* - Page 9

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one mate! But her torso is way too short compared to her head. And you'll need to alter the shoulder girdle and stuff. But it's nice, kinda creepy. Keep it up.

-Ming

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gardenrusalka: Thanks, I am going to make her body more human like, well I just did I should say. Its loosely based off a story I read out of a japanese folk lore type book about a girl crying next to a river. A man walks up on her and tries to comfort her as she continues to sob in the night. Please stop crying, what can I do to help, I'll do any thing! The man pleaded, he meant it with all his heart, and the man was quite wealthy and ready to help the girl in any way she desired. He put his hand on her shoulder and she turned around removing her hands from her face. There she had no eyes no nose and no mouth. The man horrified ran up the hill to the village. He ran and ran until his muscles burned and tears formed in his eyes from the cold night air. Finally he found a merchant closing his cart. Franticly he runs up. Please sir you have to help me there is a girl and she has no face! cried the man. The merchant looked perplexed and asked. Really? Did she look like this.

The story ends there, but I asume he also had no face haha . Any way, good book, Im going to do another painting of a story about a goblin who gets his decapitated head stuck to a priests sleeve. Should be good stuff. See ya!

ChuanMing: I dont see what your saying about the porportions. If you could further explain or even do a paint over I would really apreciate it. I think she looks good! If I saw her in a club late at night and had had a few beers and shots I would probably go home with her. Your latest char design is really nice btw. Thanks for the input

So here is a paint over trying to fix things, and things did get fixed, or atleast thought out. Thanks to ChuanMing for making me take a step back before I painted. Now hopfully you dont come back and point out really obvious errors >()

Name:  testing1212.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  geisha.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  25.3 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool concept there with great looking colour choises! The skull and hand look great but two things bother me about the anatomy: The widest part of the hips should be way lower than that and her arm looks too long and bent oddly on the wrist. I'd use a mirror to check that kind of hard poses with foreshortening. Good stuff though and the head area looks already absolutely delicious. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smuli: Thanks, so true about the hand. The hips I dont know if I see the problem or not, when I cut back and look at the line work they seem right, I'll have to analize further. Thanks for stoping by.

I am loving trunk like shapes lately, so here is an blind elephant mage.

Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  60.9 KB

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; August 4th, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Monke: Sup man, your welcome to join our "character a night"
    So far it's Me, ChuanMing, Dile and You
    So welcome to the club , basically the idea is that
    You try to put everything you learned on that day into the character and design.
    Also we try to give each others characters crits, so if you willing to update with a finished character/ character sketch every night
    If your in just drop by the sketchbook and lemme know i'll tell Ming and dile cool?
    Oh and btw nice improvment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man , welcome to the club! Looking forward to see ur characters.
    And what I meant about that creepy japanese woman was that her hips start too soon, but I could be wrong.
    Nice improvement dude, cya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey monke!

Your colors, and values are your strong suit, but your draftsmanship is lacking. I think y it would do you well to spend more time on the underdrawing before you go to paint. And also to to some pencil studies. Gotta love 'em, right?

Keep on, dog!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a scary story! Ew! I hope you finish her. : )

Bring me the priest.

Sketchbook!

KS.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments every one, I agree with all of what your saying, working on it. I just bought a house so that is a pretty mind consuming task, Ill do a big sketch dump tommarow, but for now... are these hips better?!?!

Name:  geisha.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  27.7 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My tattoo for the day, for the other leg... Magneto!! WOOT!

Name:  wolv.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  wolve.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; August 16th, 2008 at 10:22 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gardenrusalka: Thanks, I'm definatly going to finish it and set some layers over it to skew that mood that way. Greens and cold, should be good.

Sublimus: I definatly need to work the pencil studies. Thanks for reminding me ;D

ChuanMing: I am already a failure to the char a day task. Too pre occupied. When you get back let me know what you think of the revision I made to the girls hips. Thanks man, hope you had a good time in America and didnt just see a lot of fat white trash. Cheers!

lilnebo: I couldnt ride that horse, maybee when things settle down. Ill stop by your book and leave some words. Thanks for stoppin by.

Here is a sketch dump.eerrrrrk

Name:  8-16-1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  8-16-2.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  8-16-2a.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  8-16-2b.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  8-16-2c.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  8-16-3.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  8-16-4.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  165.2 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the block figure excercises and the flower is pretty cool too.

I did a quick paintover of the asian lady's hips. I think that's one of the areas where you just have to study the form of the bone well to get the body part right.

http://www.geocities.com/smuli1/Yoakum-paintover.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli: Thanks for the paintover, I see what your saying, I think Im going to have to buy a plastic pelvis to the the angles, I wonder if femurs cost extra. Maybee I'll have to study some nice asses for a while.

More Trunkords Need some clothes on him to cover his badly done abdomen..
    Name:  trunkord2.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  38.8 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pens are really my fav
    really love the line quality in those
    Your working and its paying
    Your doing the right things too
    SO just keep it up!
    peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    linebo: thanks for the kick, Im trying!.. Back to Loomis for more studying of planes, seems like it really helps.

I need to find a way to scan these, I took these with the shitty digital shop camera, obviously it didnt work great, some of the sketches were totaly obliterated. Like the musketer. What musketer?! well exactly.

Name:  8-23-1.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  527.0 KB

Name:  8-23-2.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  209.5 KB

Name:  8-23-3.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  165.9 KB

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; August 24th, 2008 at 01:53 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun.

Name:  9-4-01.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  138.0 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow more improvment!
    Sweetness
    Yours lines are again getting better
    With those drawings, you know colepoop and marko when i read or listen to some of the stuff they say am freaked out because its excactly what i've said getting to the point
    when your studying take some time to understand the reference here i'lll even quote it from cole because he explains it much better, this is excactly what i've been doing for some time:
    Cole’s approach is a demanding one: it requires building up an internal copy of the world from which you draw inspiration. “I’d rather know why the armour has a bolt there, than just slapping it on there,” he says. “ That way, next time I’m working on another character, I know his armour would need a bolt so that piece pivots and whatnot.”
    When i read this and some of the stuff i was like FREAK wow coincidence or what lol but just take that approch and take an interest in what your study.
    If your doing legs your doing it because YOU WANT TO KNOW how the leg connects, where the muscles attach, how they look when twisted and just really get to know your subject
    peace and keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wolverine on a...

man thats so wrong haha

improving in leaps as usual, especcially with anatomy and painting, so looks like you know what to do and have the commitment to actually do it hehe

keep 'em coming!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the rendering on the warrior at http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1219535159 . Great you're still studying Loomis but if you're studying planes, make sure you do some reference sketching alongside the theory. Look for the planes in reference photos, see what kind of edges they have etc. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo: Thanks for the nice words. I definatly need to study the why/how of anatomy in the lower region, for a while I got on a good kick of origin and insertion studying, but then I slacked, that stuff is so important.

TheGnoll: I will have to upload the finished tattoo, came out nice! The guy had a big thigh. In his defence, he got that because he and his sister used to play together when they were little with those toys. He is going for magneto on a metal horse on the other side, I cant wait for it.

Smuli: Thanks man, I tried out what you were saying, thinking about edge definition is a great tip, odly i had never though about that before =D

So here is what I did today, I got PS7 finally and so I can make custom brushes and the settings are so awesome. I love the direction option because it makes it more like real painting. Only problem is my computer is so slow it doesnt like them on a big scale. Which is why Im not posting the half crab faced man *CRASH*! first time thats happened. So here is a quickie! Enjoy
    Name:  7-9-1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  28.6 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  9-7-1.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  176.4 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So dead at work this MONTH. It is mounting into full on anxiety. Buying a foreclosure, and then making like 600 bucks in a month, bad mojo. Any way here is some things.

Name:  9-7-2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  13.2 KB

Name:  9-7-3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  9-7-4.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  9-7-5.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  9-7-6.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  9-7-7.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  72.5 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the wolverine riding a little poney is so funny! xD
    Are those arms are yours?
    About the photo in my book, yes that's my feet! ^^ Hehe!
    I like your crazy stuff, and tha,ks for your sweet words in my thread!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clochette: Ha! Thanks, no those arms are not mine. Mine are about 1/3 that size, I am a meager human. Thanks for stopping by

Alright, so the dry spell at work apears to be lightening up, and not a minute to soon. I closed on my house and get the keys .... right now! What the hell am I on CA for?!!?!

Name:  9-12--6.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  9-12-7.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  9-12-6_5.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  9-12-5.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  9-12-05.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  9-12-4.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  9-12-3.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  9-12-2.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  9-12-1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  98.4 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, much respect

i don't know how much life and work take your time,but it really sems like you're pushing yourself to to improve yourself, and that should make ya proud

i am still quite sure that wolverine tattoo is very weird.
    VEry cool headgear design and shape and rendering on the second one.
    Those studies are good, but i think you could push em to the next level, by adding more sense of form...have you checked out bridgman's and glenn vilppu's book? those could help you too.I'm no chick expert at all really, but one thing i've noticed is that its often a good idea to try and render form trhu tone instead of lines, especcially in women, wich is like "painting" with a pencil, you should try that, can help you see wich lines are important and wich ones are not necessary, and since if women you're screwed if you add 1 wrong line...i think it could be helpful.I really like the last chick with scale
    excellent studies man.Check these out, they were an interesting watch for me, you might find them interesting

http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Gnoll: Im glad you like the studies man. Yeah basicly my wife works at the all dominate super power Starbucks. So she goes to work at 4am, I get up then, usualy do some studies drink a pot of coffee my daughter wakes up at 8, I play with her for 4 hours then go to work from 12 - 7 come home put my daughter to sleep, watch the office and go to bed at about 10-11. So the key here really is get up early, I find it is a much more useful part of the day for learning for me. My brain is fresh without the concerns of the day ect. But there has to be balance with the whole lack of sleep thing. Balance in all things. And yeah I am eyeballing both the constructive anatomy and the vilpuu drawing manual, but cash is tight so I am biding my time and reading a lot of loomis. AAHHHHH!!!

Ever get the feeling like Bridgeman Loomis and Vilpu are the only things ever disgused on here? I do think its the key to success though. I have been messing around in PS with brushes and trying to get them nice so I can build form fast. I think Im getting the hang of it, but now PS keeps crashing. So here is a screenshot of a 15 minute speedy I captured after PS crashed on my (again) (for the fourth time.)

Name:  9-20-1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  82.3 KB

Today I am going to refinish the floors in my house, I have never done that before and I hope I dont fuck it up royaly, or run in to more unforseen problems. Either way Wish me LUCK!

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Yoakum!

That Wolverine my little pony is badass, haha.

I don't think you need anything special in PS to build form fast. Just have a basic round with opacity set to pressure, and lay down a dark ground and then just pull out the light areas. You probably already knew that though, haha.

Keep posting dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sublimus: I'll have to try that when I replace my laptop, right now it sounds like a remote controll airplane. Thats for the motivation to post too!

Here are some papers. I have been really into drawing with a ballpoint lately. Kind of instant gratification of tonal range. Enjoy!

Name:  10-24-1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  10-24-2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  10-24-3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  10-24-4.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  10-24-5.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  10-24-6.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  69.1 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The female figures seem to have lots of thought and beauty to them, great job! The portraits also have some nice life to them though the construction staggers a bit on them (especially noses in perspective). I love that bird hat... Nice line weights!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the dragon and phoenix sketch you have a few posts up, you should further that one! and nice pony/wolverine tattoo haha

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.