Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Name:  anat1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  13.9 KB

Found that beloved chalk brush. heres a hint

Ctrl-Alt-eaidklmnjwo]5`

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  24.7 KBCheck these enviro Skills!!!

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  9.7 KBSo Hot!!

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    i zee improvemeeeeeent!damn you should go to Lake Tahoe more often, that was a great update ( esp the big sheet in that post, excellent work)

now its all about keeping up the pace, cakeypigdog gave you some good suggestions, so follow them!
    you're doing good man

ciao!

Thanks
    Thanks to every one for the crits and comments, They meen a lot to me and keep me pushing, I really appreciate it and try to take them to heart.

Really trying to keep momentum of studying, practicing, working and parenting. Seems like progress, but damn Im running out of energy. I know that with the whole US housing market getting fucked and the stupid gov.'s solution of just giving every one money to fix it, soon I will be very busy at work. Tax return = tattoo = $$$$ for me = burn out = vacation = good art.

Any way here is the mornings speedy, about an hour and a half, Still feel like my basic shapes are off.

Name:  morningsketch16.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  15.7 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Woot. St. Pattricks day, break out the Corned beef and cabage and of course guiness. and thanks to the Catholic Church, it falls on a monday, which is my friday, So let the Guiness Flow. No Jamesons though, I'll drop the baby

Name:  3171.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  3-17-2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  3-17-3.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  68.9 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    When St. Patrick was young he was captured by some raiders and taken to Ireland. After 6 years he escaped and fled. He became integrated into the church, ordained and returned to Ireland as a "missionary". His mission? Lead the snakes off the island? No, in post glacial Ireland there were no snakes. His mission would change the face of Europe and Animae for ever. His mission. Single handedly kill all the pagans and fill the island with redheaded chicks in school girl outfits! Thank you St.Patrick!

Name:  StPatrick.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  27.5 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Clear improvement with the arm thing I mentioned and ovearall anatomy gets better and better. Don't know about the thighs you asked about, I think you've got the principle of how they attach to the pelvis right and the proportions seem good to me in the latest sketches. Every time you draw legs from the front, they seem to have no curvature though. They just taper evenly to the thin ankles like in the last sketch or that on post 95. But sure you'll tackle that soon too. Keep these coming and I hope you're doing some reference sketching like Bridgeman or something too.

Thanks
    Hey Bud, just got your message.

Seems like you already have a decent amount of strong crits in here. Basically everything that should have been said, has already been said. Its your turn to take the advice and roll with it. Consume as much as possible and use it to your advantage. Now, if I were to give any personal advice, it'd be to stay away from colours period. Like that last guy I told this to, you really don't grasp a basic knowledge of how colours work yet (which is fine, most of us don't and never will), but your suffering too much in the anatomy dept to even begin to understand your colours. If you want a successful painting, you should already have a decent knowledge of the basics... Which starts at line quality all the way to character dynamics and forms. I was looking at your pencil work in the earlier pages, and I must say thats your strong point right now. So if you'd like to follow my advice, it'd be to stop phucking around with colours and push those pencils as hard as possible. Life studies out the ying yang, and don't just copy the pictures, try to use them as references only (pinpoint what the heck it is your looking at). Everyones gotta start somewhere with paints and colours, but like I mentioned earlier, your only going to end up hurting yourself if you don't yet understand the basics. No need to follow my advice if you don't want to though, its just my own theory... and like they say, to each their own! overall, the worst thing you can do to your art, is not produce any at all.

Keep it up buddy,
    Hope this helped a bit.

Thanks
    Name:  skjetch1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  sjketch2.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  110.2 KB

replys in a minute

*edit*

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; March 22nd, 2008 at 12:16 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Ok.

smuli: Thanks, I hear you on the leg thing, I have tried to like of think about how the leg bones are and look at photos for how the legs curve, hopfully you will see some improvement in that area soon. Deffinatly still working with bridgeman, I love the chunkiness of his style. Trying to think about the muscles, and how they form the shapes he mentions. Glad to see you lurking in here too, thanks again.

CoinPurse: Thanks for the crit man, just what I was hoping for. Trying to take your advice with the pencils, and I would take whole heartedly your advice with the color, but my profession often revolves around color, so Im trying to get the basics down through internet reading. Still going to keep hitin the pencils hard and think about the distinction of areas of shadow and areas of light. So far I dont know how successful I've been. Ill keep hitin it though, thanks again.

TheGnoll: Thanks for the encouragement man, appreciate the compliment and I'll try to upload more sketchbook pages as those are what I tend to be able to spend more time on and what people seem to like. Thanks again

CakeyPigdog: Thanks very much for taking the time to lay down a game plan, I really appreciate it. I'm going to save up my pennies and try to get that Vilppu book. Mostly because I want to pronounce it Vil Pu Pu to the Borders guy. In the mean time Im taking your guidance to heart and drawing from corbis daily, and also found some cool photo threads here on CA. Wanimal is really great for interesting ref. Thanks again and I'll keep pushin.

So here are my sketch pages as of lately. Also working out of the book "The Natural way to Draw" Even though those drawings dont tend to be good, I can see how its helping train my arm as opposed to my wrist to draw without looking at the paper. It would be interesting to see a neurological study of muscle coordination and art. Large muscle groups (whole arm) vs. small ones (wrist muscles)

Name:  1-3-23.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  2-3-22.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  3-2-22.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  4-3-22.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  41.0 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Name:  5-3-22.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  33.1 KB
    Blocking down tones.

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    man, seriosly, you're doing better and better, pencils and digitals are improving, you just have to keep up this pace, really!

try adding ground shadows too, they help "ground" the character and they will
    make you think of the ground plane a bit more.
    Again, you're doing really well, much respect!

ciao

Thanks
    The Gnoll: Thanks man, I finally feel like Im getting to a point that isnt' so chumpish. Also big thanks for thinking about the ground shadow, it seems like such a no brainer, but I want to go through all my sketchbooks and put cast shadows on all my little dudes.

Here is me fucking around with color theory. I tried a split complementry kind of color scheme. Overall, not really the quality Im one day hoping for, but there was a definate moment when I laid down a desaturated blue tone in the shadow where it really set off the warm and coolness. I wish I had my tablet at home all this is with a laptop mouse. Hmmm... finger painting? wacom needs to get on that. Please any one, advice on color usage!

Name:  coloreddude.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  76.2 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.