Sketchbook: Yoakum Book (nudity?) *March-2.74-11* - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeYoakum View Post
    My favoright type of images are ones where your eye jumps around from point of interest to point of interest within the piece. [/ATTACH]
    Post some examples. I'm just a beginner myself, so I make no promise that I can answer the question.
    The attachment link doesn't work.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is just for reference for later. FREE BOOKS!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/arc...p/t-94571.html

armando: I can't think of any examples off hand other than a lot of Guy Atchisons work. It basicly works off a 3d figure eight idea of flow. But I guess I have seen it with other people using color, or areas of focus to draw the eye. I guess I just need to catalog and apply different ways to draw the eye. bah, I have to work now

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A sketch for work. I wish I could have printed my bridgman book before, would have made this a lot better >
    Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  61.5 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress still mate. I think you could try and push your tonal range a bit harder. That last image could really do with some darker darks in places. I think the main thing is still to just do as much life study as you can. That lips set on the last page were very good. Just invest as much time as you can into doing studies like that to help internalise your values. The deer tattoo with the tree antlers is ace btw.
    Its good to see you getting such great feedback from so many people. Armando's overpaint and crit is top stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh and the guy in the background of this one is fab! I think you really captured something great there. BLAM!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1214059013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cakeypigdog: Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm agreeing with you on the tones. I am going to focus on doing some studies in that dept. for a while. In my real life we are trying to buy a house, wich when your aproved for just around 100k is not too easy, but still promissing. Any how that is a big time consuming monster which commands your brain long after. Thus progress I feel is halting. Maybee not, maybee Im just sleep deprived. I will heed your advice none the less and thanks again.

Here is an update.
    *updated*
    Name:  gesture.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  107.4 KB
    Name:  neptunetemp.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; July 10th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    m....
    Name:  neptunetemp.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  neptunetemp2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by MonkeYoakum; July 11th, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  self.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  37.8 KB
    Forest fire smoke related alergy headache

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  50.4 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you're still pushing figures and values. I love the mouth studies on the last page and the lightings on the newest sketches look great. Try to push the backgrounds a bit more too though, you've already shown you can do it. You don't seem to spend as much time on them and on the newest one, all those lights seem distracting IMO, air perspective doesn't look consistent and the guy seems to be standing on air. I like those poseidon sketches, the one with the shell would look awesome with more definition on the water splashes. Keep these coming!

Last edited by smuli; July 12th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap man, you're pushin, have nothing else to say that hasn't been already said.You're doing great, keep 'em coming!

thek is offline climbing the shoulders of giants Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are great! I can see you're trying to work things through digitally, but with more practice you'll get there. Some of your digital stuff seems deliberately very rough, maybe by working some of those a bit more you'll learn what's right and wrong with them and progress faster? Just a suggestion. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Really digging your latest stuff! And wooo! Pencils! Can't wait to see more of 'em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you've got loads of cool ideas. You've already gotten loads of great advice from other people, I don't really have anything new to say. I think a few really long values studies will help you push your stuff to the next level. Try to make an exact copy of the ref. Just really focusing on values and edges, and don't be afraid to work on it over a few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smuli: Thanks for the crit, it is a great one. Makes me remember I need to keep in mind the total picture and not focus on one aspect as all points will be made stronger by an overall accuracy.. hmm that was wordy. I think those lights distracted me too and thats why he got all floaty I have a few more posideon sketches and started the ACTUAL tattoo yesterday, so Il post that when its done. Thanks for stoppin by!

TheGnoll: Thanks for the motivation!

thek: Thanks! I definatly find that with certain things its easier to build them up with tones, then later when i go to draw them I can remember the lines of tone difference and it helps drawing, however somtimes it makes my drawings look like crap wich often confuses my clients and makes me waste time shading them. I wish I had more time to spend on stuff, but I would usualy rather do somthing new. Probably good advice though, I'll try it. Thanks!

ChuanMing: hehe thanks man, Ill scan my other sketchbook at work today.

Texahol: So happy to see you around here, I really admire your work and think its on par with some of the best ImO. I did like you say, and tried to do a Mandy More photoref this morning. Tone changes in edges on musculature I see what you meen! a hard and a soft, I remember Huri talking about using a hard brush and a soft one for that but I didnt understand it then. Now I think Im starting to grasp it. Thanks for the good advice, Im going to seek a nice photo and spend next week trying to really nail it. Thanks for the advice!

I didnt even want to post this, but its all progress documentation and hopfully some one can tell me why this atempt at a hot girl, turned into what apears to be a colagin injected stroke victum with botox. Here is the ref errrk.

Views: 254
Size:  24.7 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeYoakum View Post
    I didnt even want to post this, but its all progress documentation and hopfully some one can tell me why this atempt at a hot girl, turned into what apears to be a colagin injected stroke victum with botox.
    The photo has some tricky stuff around where the neck meets the shoulders, and has an unflattering flap of flesh where the throat is which I would either soften or cut back on. Revisit the spine where it meets the base of the neck and work through would would make sense anatomically. The photo is probably leading you astray here.

In your painting, the skull has been narrowed and the features are flattened on it in one plane. If you go back and recreate the skull shape, you should be fine. Just remember that the features of the face need to wrap around it instead of floating on the surface.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ASVogel; July 14th, 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixing quote block

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ASVogel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AikidoAl: Great observation man, exactly what I needed to hear. Im going to atempt to redo that and hopfully not suck it up. Thanks!

Here is a sketch dump going back to June. please enjoy

Name:  7-14-0.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  7-14-1.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  7-14-2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  7-14-2a.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  7-14-3.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  7-14-4.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  7-14-5.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  56.8 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to do a fair amount of brainless 2d to 2d copying, and something I've figured out more recently is that it's really really really important to think. Don't just think about a flat copy but try to understad the 3d form, otherwise all you learn is how to copy....which has it's own place, but it doesn't help much in learning to create on your own.
    At the montreal workshop I saw emily_g doing figure drawing, and she was breaking down and drawing all the 3d shapes and I remember being flummoxed. I foolishly remember myself thinking "what is she doing, drawing all that extra construction stuff" and around a year later finally understood how important it is to think through things in 3d. You need to end up turning your brain into a 3d renderer

anyway so the point of all this rambling, is even when drawing from reference, it's important to think about 3d form. It's why people draw construction lines, [drawing cross contour lines around forms, the centerline on a face...etc] Don't be afraid to use it in reffed stuff too Also you need to be able to think about the 3d shapes for rendering things appropriately (3d forms overlapping 3d forms). Maybe what I'm saying just is super obvious, but it's something i was blind to for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Texahol: Thanks for the crit. Yeah I understand the whole 3d form thing, but the face really throws me off. I need to study the planes for a while I think, because the face seems to have every angled plane imagineable. Thanks for the visiting.

Name:  vamps.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  71.0 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! Really diggin' your latest stuff! Only crit I have is that you have to study your faces more(they seem a little flat), but I think you already know that. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChuanMing: You are right! Truthfully I never thought to stretch the features across an arc *doh!* So now Im reading through and doing lots of studies of the Loomis head and hands book, the construction is so helpful. Still not quite there though.

Here is somthing Im working on.

Name:  GirlWip.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  24.6 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In response to the Mandy "Bore"(I'm not a fan) portrait:

Definitely read Heinrich Wolflin's "Principles of Art History". Very difficult read, but a neccessary evil.

Look for branching and flowing lines, and line up the edges of shapes. See how close to her shoulder her head is, yellow lines.
    Name:  2DOrganization.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  55.6 KB

Specify the orientations of the forms. Think of planes as the direction of a surface. The head has 6 major surfaces, like a cube, other than that they have shit in common. The face and the arm are facing in the same direction so they get the same value, the back, side of head, and back of arms face in similar directions and get similar values. Light blue shows how forms push forward through space out of the picture, dark blue shows how that sets off an inward movement through empty space into the picture.
    Name:  3DOrganization_edited-1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  51.9 KB

So that's basically what I did here. I also got rid of the distracting stuff in back. The entire image is composed into the shape of an 'R', that wasn't premeditated that came as I went along: definitely should do little life drawing compositions of stuff around your environment trying to fit the picture into a letter.
    Name:  temp_edited-2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  53.9 KB

I adjusted the face by pushing the eyes and nose forward. There's no way to mechanically measure the face in a significant, useful, individual way, have to do it all by feel, all fine adjustments have to be done by feel. I also made her head bigger. See how that changes the gesture, gesture being: she looks more feminine because her shoulders aren't as big, she doesn't have a surprised tense look: her shoulders aren't up to her ears, her head isn't shoved back in fear.

Last edited by armando; July 19th, 2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Adjusted levels in last image
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last one looks nice! One thing though, the eyes are a bit too large.Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    armando: Thanks again man, that advice is killer, even if what I'm about to post doesnt reflect it entirely ;D

ChuanMing: Thanks man, I saw that too, thankfully right before I started working on it, not after ;o

update...

Name:  girl.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  46.6 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, nice w.i.p. you go there! No crits of me this time.

risingfromashes is offline "Living down to expectation" Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monke...you've got some great stuff in here...that I-Scream tat was really nice...tight bright and clean...
    some really cool Ideas...keeping an eye out for what you come up with next

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChuanMing: Thanks! I wish I could break through this block hard enough to finish it.

risingfromashes: Thanks man, I'll try to post some other tattoo stuff soon.

So here is just somthing I'm going to try and finish tommarow morning, probably before most of you see this. So yeah maybee somthing to look forward to

Name:  geishafan.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  456.2 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting stuff. That steampunk heart on your site is nice. I just have one question....does that snake have a beard?

Bring me the priest.

Sketchbook!

KS.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gardenrusalka: Thanks, my site is so outdated but I dont remember how to change it... o well. yes the snake is bearded, i like beards, have a big one myself. thanks for stopping by.

going to try and finish this to print on canvas, physical art.. how wierd..

Views: 157
Size:  27.4 KB

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how creepy it is! Nice rendering on the hand. Will the rest of her be more skeletal or just the face? Can't wait to see.

Bring me the priest.

Sketchbook!

KS.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1