How many sketch books
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How many sketch books

As we all know, it takes practice to become an adept sketch artist. Just wondering how many sketch books (or years of practice) the various artists on this forum went through before they felt they were proficient sketch artists. Assume a sketch book has 60 to 100 pages 8x10 inches. Did you use 20 pads, 50 pads, 100 pads, or more? Did you fill the whole page or just part of it? Just try to approximate how much mileage you put in as you were actively trying to improve. You don't have to take into account childhood, but perhaps from your formal (or informal) education onward. Interested to see the replies on this one. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For 15 years of drawing, I only filled one Sketchbook, a large 14x11 of 100 pages. I got 2 others about the same size but only half or third filled. Sometime I think I should have sketch more but I never feel inspired with a sketchbook. I always got my inspiration on my college note books when I was bored in class, but when I tried to get into drawing more seriously and went out of college, I never took an opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting question. Something I think about every time I look at the ever decreasing space on my bookshelves.

From my chair I can count about 20 sketchbooks that I filled over the last say 2 years. If I've got my back with me then there is always a sketchbook and a pencil case in it. Being a drinker of copious amounts of espresso makes it an enjoyable habit. I haven't even included the ones stashed in cabinets or under the bed. lol/

I don't know many people who've got the discipline to say.. 'right.. time to sit down and do a half hours worth of quicks sketchs' while at home. Besides who would you sketch? That's where a cup of coffee comes in. At the coffee shop... filling the page with 20 second sketches. A great way to stay loose. I figure that filling a sketchbook a month is about average. I don't view sketchbooks as fine art... they're simply a tool... to work out all your drawing issues with. I laugh people who do a sketch in a sketch book and then treat it like it's the fricken Mona Lisa... my sketchbooks are full of food stains, coffee cup rings and all sorts of weird things. God forbid they ever did a scientific analysis of their chemical make up.
    That being said... I've yet to post my sketch book pages here at CA. Must get around to that.

Mambo

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the recent year and a half of serious drawing, I've gone through:
    2 x 100pg A4.
    1 x 20pg A4.
    1 x 50pg A3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since Dec. of 2004, My count is around 36-40 8.5"x11", 70-sheet (140 pages) sketchbooks, and then maybe 6 black hardbound of varying size and sheet numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ... To many no not really. But Around 40 ? Well.. I have more, but not filled.

and I recently started using the whole page..also recently started "finishing" sketches...

And this is in 1.5 years

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Blah, since I got really serious about a year ago, 4 (can't remember the number of pages) but many more if you consider the years of doodling.

So basically not nearly enough

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    But you are already veryyyy good rhineville! So I wouldn't worry about it althought I can't imagine what you would do if you filled more !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I am on number 4-5 for this year... nice black hard cover with a firm white paper... sometimes I can go through one a month...over half way through my one started in july...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    ... To many no not really. But Around 40 ? Well.. I have more, but not filled.

and I recently started using the whole page..also recently started "finishing" sketches...

And this is in 1.5 years

Whoa man, I envy your devotion. I wish I could be motivated like that, I do a doodle for 5 mins and I am already bored to go further.

BTW you have a 1337 post count ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    But you are already veryyyy good rhineville!
    Har har, it is to laugh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've finished 2 sketchbooks in a year, filling at least every page with one character/practice/ or scene. I just started a new book and have done 3 drawings so far. I still don't feel "Proficient" but I feel pretty good about my progress.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm dont know the count but I finished one sketchbook in a month or so. Not much I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah, this thread made me pick up a sketch book and start drawing.

Question aside, do you fill all pages both side or you fill a page and leave the back alone to prevent the lead of the pencils strokes to smudge on the other pages??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Same

I generally draw on both sides of the paper (my sketchbook's got quite thick sheets though), unless I'm going into the rendering more, in which case I don't draw on the other side because sometimes the lines do show up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shantih View Post
    ^ Same

I generally draw on both sides of the paper (my sketchbook's got quite thick sheets though), unless I'm going into the rendering more, in which case I don't draw on the other side because sometimes the lines do show up.

yeah my sketchbooks are strathmore and they easily tranfer the leadpencil on the other pages if I draw on the other pages. I feel like I am cheating here . Maybe I should use an old sheet to cover the back of the page I am drawing on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never managed to actually finish a sketch book until just over a year ago. I'm very off and on with them.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.