Sketchbook: This one's for you Mr.Delicious
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This one's for you Mr.Delicious

He brought me here. I have always known about this site... but he brought me here. Personally... I am scared to death of you guys. So much so that I couldn't even look at you for inspiration. You are so far beyond my understanding... I opted for something more accessible. Namely random people from DeviantArt and Sijun's speed paint thread. I am still far away from approaching those that I admire from either communities, but that's besides the point.

Meh.... some notes about my background. First of all, some of you may know me as Adeux. Some as Chainer. Others as Ahtu... depending on how long you've known me.

I started drawing a few years ago due to an obsession with Magic the Gathering. Namely John Avon's, Kevin Lewellyn's (Puddnhead's), Kev Walker's, and Justin Sweets works. But... since I started with no artistic background... I went towards something a little more accessible. Manga/anime. And now (like far too many others) I am trying to shake it off. It's so hard wired into my system though... losing it is taking some time.

I never took a class for art. I am going to college for Graphic Design/ Multi Media, but it has precious little to do with my interests in concept / comic art. Everything I know, I know from forums.

Enough of that drama. On to the pics. I will show the most recent ones without exception. This includes new ones to come. Please tear me up.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by _Chainer; August 31st, 2007 at 12:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff mate!
    Definitely have more confidence in your work. It looks good, without a whole lot of problems (anatomy, value, line etc), so if I were you i would definitely not be so cautious. You can only get better from here.
    Welcome to the forums!! Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg awesome drawings! Mr. D will aprove!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup chainer. Good to see your work again, definatly love your colors as always. Keep it up. You got major skill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    HEY! you finally made it! I mean, seriously, if you wanna focus on shaking off the anime then focus on doing more portrait work, work from other artists examples, try to mimic another style as best you can. Basically anything to get a better understanding of what makes a character realistic let it be the eyes/color/anatomy. Something I did to help my anatomy studies is I took one of my older anatomy books and hacked it up, cut out all the pages and tapped them up all around my computer. That way if I ever needed to better understand something it was right there, no excuse to be too lazy to look it up.

I dont really see an utter attempt to break away from the anime just yet, I'd like to see you focus on your studies, you have the general idea down its jsut the technical part and minor details. I just ordered a bridgman book and its so awesome. I really suggest it for dynamic form and a better understanding all around.

As far as actualy crits on the work posted:

1st: torso isnt long enough, necks too thin(for regular anatomy's sake).

6th: Her right upper arm is way too long, the elbow should fall just above the navel.

Other than that man just keep on workin at it.

Heres to hoping you stick around!

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice paintin' man good stuff, live colors...i like ur anime style..keep postin'

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the help, Mr D. Yeah... I'm still into comic styles... and it's kind of hard taking a while to make the transition of anime inking => comic without ripping off someone's comic style entirely. I'm in no rush to drop inking styles... so I will just ease into something different in time. My main focus though is digital painting. Ala speedpainting styles as seen here and Sijun. Custom brushes... that whole deal. Basically everything that you hate.

As for staying here.... seeing as Agelaos is here (how you been, man?)... I gots to stay. I was never much for giving compliments or crits (I suck at it, actually) so I won't look like I'm particuarly "active". I'll definately be here though. That photoshop section is shaping up to be my new home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, that is some sick stuff.
    I like how angular things are and stuff. Makes everything look cool.

My Boring Sketchbook of Invisible Doom
    There's really nothing to see here yet.
    Progress is a difficult thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your anime work, beautiful colors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just experimenting with different tools and techniques. I'm not getting very far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god damn that first one is looking HOT, I wanna bang it. The second one is a bit off the leg thats behind the one in front is looking strange, and the arm holding the knife is bending too much, I would probably give it an angle where the elbow meets. Keep showing more, i'm lovin it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe youve never had an art class. Dave showed me some of the other stuff you didnt post, why didnt you post them!? theyre fuckin awesommme. cant wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great way to kick of a sketchbook man! Your creatures have that appeal and style that I've always found so addictive and intruiging, especially that last one in your first post. My suggestion would be to work on your feet, they look a bit awkward, and not quite quadrupedal enough. Other than that looking good so far, post more for us to see!

-----SKETCHBOOK-----

---Old Sketchbook---

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup, Dave's a sexy basterd. Luvs that guy muchly hehe,
    Lets see some life studies now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, ah sexy. I like the chainsaw guy, I agree on the feet. The anatomy on the last one is wonky, but lets see some anatomy studies and life ones! Woo yea!

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noway man! ya havent taken any art class... i'm enjoying it in here i love the witch craft, and Magic stuff too, i love the lantern woman the mauve and black colour mix is giving an awesome atmosphere... Bless tha' Head 'o' yours man! your work is awsome keep postin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 28chelseaslater View Post
    I can't believe youve never had an art class.
    Digital photography is an art class. Typography, print publishing, design strategies, and the like... all art classes. But I know what you mean . I wish I had taken some drawing/ painting/ fine art classes. But alas... I'm not going to an "art" school.

kekeke

Well... here's my sketch of the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one man, lines look jagged, what are you using to draw them so consistently small? Her butt looks too small, her elbow is too high(only a little). But anyways, keep on workin like this man you got the right idea drawing everyyyday.

SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love that last one. Have more confidense in yaself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one man, lines look jagged, what are you using to draw them so consistently small? Her butt looks too small, her elbow is too high(only a little). But anyways, keep on workin like this man you got the right idea drawing everyyyday.
    It's the pencil tool in photoshop. Incase it isn't in the newer versions (I still use 5.5 dude) ... it's basically a 1 pixel brush with no gradation/dithering/antialias. Basically what it would look like if I was drawing in paint. There is no real reason for using it over anything else other than looking different.
    __________________________________________________ ________-

What up homes?

Last edited by _Chainer; September 2nd, 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice updates man. keep up the pace, you'll get better and better without noticing. also don't be afraid to post some life stuff you got, some figures or something, people walking down the street. I think when you post stuff on concept art, you begin seeing ways to improve yourself. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think when you post stuff on concept art, you begin seeing ways to improve yourself. Keep it up man.
    That's one way of seeing it. I myself am starting to see how bad I actually am, and how far I have to go. It's going to be a fun ride though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    + for another one. This is actually my fourth for today... the sketch before being my third, and the one before IT being my first. I'd post my second... but... well.. no. Just no.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work. Love the style..SOTD Armour chick works for me.. Love to see it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome man, youre gettin these out quick! If you keep at it long enough when you actually spend time on one it'll be really awesome. catch my driiift? That way you don't lose interest so fast. Lighting on the face is good in that one, I think the inside of the hood could be alittle darker to make the face pop out more.

SketchBook
    My Twitter Account

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a long story behind this one... but I had a good laugh. You will never see me to this again... that's for sure.

:edit:

God damn that is huge. I thought I shrunk it. How do you edit attachments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice portrait. I like that crisp look in your paintings, you using some special brush or something?

nice cat girl, she has pretty good proportions and form too, nothing seems to be throwing it off.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No special brushes being used here. No... the crisp look is due to emboss/ sharpen filters on duplicates of the entire image on a separate layer. Some strategic erasures here and there.... some choice blending modes... and voila. The crappy filters are tolerable enough to make drawings more interesting without detracting from them completely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch Angel v2!

I drew this during a lecture on my laptop when I should have been taking notes, woo~

One complaint from the last one was that I was being too safe with the stroking, colors, and textures. Well... this is my reply!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1