Sketchbook: Ivke's Cerebral Rejects (17.09.2008 update)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ivke's Cerebral Rejects (17.09.2008 update)

<< SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW WORK>>

[EDIT] I've just read the suggestion that it's better to upload the images on the site, so I guess I'll edit every post and upload the stuff.

Hello good people of CA.org This is my sketcbook, started with the hope that it will make my lazy ass draw more frequently. Feel free to browse, comment, crit, flame, post words of encouragement, death threats and hate mail. I shall answer as per your request

This first batch is from a while back, when I bothered to save my work, thinking that it's the best artwork in the world. Or at least in my street. Since then I've had a reality check and an ego rehabilitation 12 step program. Now I know it's crap. For the newer work, I usually throw away previous work as soon as I make a new piece of art. Bad habit I know, it's good to keep track of the progress. Hopefuly it'll change now that I have started this thread. Who am I kidding

Anyways, in the sort-of chronological order:

arm muscle studies

eye studies

hand studies

various sketches

more studies

drawing things around the house (figures, toys)

had fun with colored pencils, but didn't pursue that medium after these sketches.

digital study when I first got my wacom tablet

self portraits/ figure studies

That's it for now. I'll try to find stuff that I haven't thrown to the garbage and post it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IvkeBG; December 17th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent studies dude. Especially the eyes and hands. The lineart-color pic is cool too. Something seems off about those skulls though.
    Definitely keep practicing and good luck with your work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChaoticKnight, thanks for the first reply and the comments! The skulls suck, I just wanted to establish a general difference between male and female skulls.

Here's a sketch that I found, more recent. Done with pencil, and then scanned and colored in Painter.

Last edited by IvkeBG; January 22nd, 2008 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the rough preliminary sketch and some sketches/wips/details for the gnomon competition 'In The Doorway'. The final artwork is on the blog page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow amazing eyes studies and faces too

If you think you can t Draw, just draw more

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1207915

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the hand studies. Your lines are really strong and confident - great work! I also like the sketch-values-color thing... Great idea

Cheers!

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Whistler, Nistarn thanks a million for your comments!

Here are some last year's studies of faces that I dug up. I drew from Loomis' book on heads

and hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And these are some random older studies and sketches that I managed to salvage.

gouache sketches from photos

digital sketches from photos

random stuff, no ref

a rare environment value sketch

Last edited by IvkeBG; September 12th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very very good stuff. i just want to see more.

i love it allllllllll!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries : )

If you think you can t Draw, just draw more

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1207915

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    devbot, Nistarn, thanks for the comments peopel!

I've scanned a few pages of quick doodles from my last summer's beach sketchbook. Linework is shit and it's all faded from the sand, but still...

This one is a quick sketch of a fluffy toy at my cousin's. Rendering it was harder than I thought. The weird thing below the head is a transparent tie-thing which I couldn't quite nail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are two no-ref sketches. The first one is a facial expression study, it was in the critique section and some of you guys helped me a lot with it. It's still rough but I've achieved my goal methinks so I'm leaving it at that. The second one is an exercise in character diversity. It's supposed to be a spaceship crew, I'll add more members I hope, and color the entire thing.

VenomVindicta is offline Venom.. runs in all of us doesn't it? Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, i like the studies at the top, [even though, as said, the skulls rent quite right.]
    Good job. =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, really nice start.. o.o!
    Your studies kick ass, keep going!!

- Jul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VenomVindicta, Autumnal Dream, thanks for stopping by guys and thanks for the comments!

This one was a quick, two hour piece for the gnomon contest 'the queen'. It's kinda sketchy so I'm posting it here. It's, ehm, drag queen dad, though it may not be that obvious now when I look at it. After last month, I've hit the wall with this one as well, but I don't feel that bad cause I didn't work my ass off. I can't be objective about my work, or the winning pieces, so maybe someone can finaly tell me 'yup, your work really is a genuine piece of crap' and set things straight once and for all? Bring it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work IvkeBG - I especially like your self portrait/figure studies and your pencil renderings. The fluffy toy is really nice, with the tone handled really well - more tonal renderings like that would be cool.

It's not a genuine peice of crap, but you're right in that there is nothing about that image that gives away that it is a drag queen and not just a pug-fugly woman.

Keep it up, look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puck, thanks for the comments man !

This is a portrait I did for a friend. Too often do I realize I should have bought a paper with less pronounced texture in the middle of the drawing. This was the case as well. I've spent far too much time on this one. It looks kinda overworked maybe, too polished. I wanted to go for more of an academic study, half-finished sketch type of thing. And I didn't push the contrast enough. I got the likeness through the major tonal shapes, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, it looks pretty nice to me. I do think you might've missed some of the subleties of the neck muscles, but the features look fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been lurking since 2004 and just now starting a SB?

Great start, not much to crit, glad to see someone seems to understand triceps anatomy.

I especially like your higher contrast busts in your post from Aug 31st.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hairy arms and legs (maybe even some hairs on the chest) might've flagged "the queen" as a drag queen. But, since drag queens are usually groomed to perfection, well, maybe not.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello You have some great studies here! Keep them up
    One thing I've noticed is that when you draw from imagination you usually make the eyes a bit too big and give them more of a rectangular shape. This may be a purely stylistic choice soooo... yeah. I just thought I'd mention it.
    Keep up the good work! And have fun

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome work

Evil brings men together.

-Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good work. Nothing too specific to crit, just keep studying the basics (anatomy, gesture, value, etc. -- you know what I'm talking about.) Maybe do more studies that are aimed at learning specific things. Keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic studies man! I love the eyes and torso ones the most. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, thanks for the c&cs! I'll check out your sketchbooks as soon as I can.

Gryphon: not enough info on the neck from the ref. It looks a bit flat though, yeah .
    n1va: lol, well I signed up to CA when I started to draw, then I had a one year apstinence from drawing doing 3D, realized I still needed to learn to draw and paint first, got to it, fell in love with it, and now don't want to do anything else. And I haven't been here in a long ass time.
    alesoun: yup, drag queens are tough to paint .
    Windmaker: the eyes are not my style, it's more my lack of knowledge and undeveloped mental library .

dungnickle, Ms. Kitty thanks for the comments and for stopping by!

Well, I have an exam in two days so not much time for drawing (excuses). I've done some random doodling and some basic graphic design stuff, I got a book called 'principles of form and design' by Wucius Wong. I'm posting a combo here. It's crap, but two days from now, I'm gonna wipe the dust from my pencils and oil paints and start making some studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress in here!
    I really like your digital paintings and pencil renderings, youre quite strong with your value. I'm assuming the majority of these are done with photo reference?
    Seems that way cause your specifically non-reffed images arent nearly as strong in anatomy and value as your other work. Either way, youve got a great eye for value and form in general, that portrait of your friend is great, though a bit low in contrast.

Samo nastavi u ovom pravcu, vidise na napredujes!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock, hvala puno za komentare . I agree with you, my sketches from imagination aren't as good, I'm afraid to push the contrast more, I've got some issues with proportions and anatomy. I need to practice more. Thanks again dude!

On that note, I've decided to finaly get of my ass and start doing anatomy again. I'm gonna begin with the pelvis and legs, because I find it easier to do than upper part of the body. I did these sketches today. It's pencil on paper and highlights were added digitally in Painter. Hopefuly I'll make this a regular thing . The studies were done from various sources, Bridgman, Loomis, Hogarth, Vinciana publishing. This first batch is mostly asses . If I'm violating anything by posting this let me know and I'll take it down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe i dont think anybody here minds drawings of asses
    These are looking real good, youre getting a real indepth look at how the bones/muscles affect the surface. Im actually just studying the pelvic area in my anatomy class so these sketches were quite helpful to me.
    Something ive noticed in a second look at your work is that except for a couple referenced pieces your torsos seem pretty stiff; You have the anatomy and proportion down, but almost all of them are drawn from a straight on view, with little weight distribution or twisting of the hips/shoulders etc. I found taht it helped me a lot in this regard to just go outside and do quick sketches of people moving around and doing various activities (running around, sitting down, playing sports, using construction equipment) and then tryng to analyze what their bodies underneath are doing and how theyre twisting and moving their weight around.

You asked me in my thread about any tips for loosening up; Its kinda tricky to try and explain it, its a lot to do with the way i think, but a couple of good methods for loosening up or getting more lively work are gesturing and thumbnailing, that is doing very quick sketches with minimal detail, and then working with what interesting lines and shapes you see in them. What you might also wanna try is use a looser medium, something that is harder to be tight with, like a bigass marker or doing small drawings with charcoal or something.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock, thanks for the comments and tips once again dude You're right, my figures from the head are stiff, I have to draw more from life. Glad my anatomy sketches could help you.

I'm posting the continuation of the anatomy stuff and a few pages of quicksketching from life. The subject is my girlfriend, except the obvious feet sketch. I have too much time when the subject isn't moving, so these are on average 10min sketches, I should really try to do shorter ones. I'm having hard time scanning this stuff with my cheap hardware, some subtle stuff gets lost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leg anatomy continuation and another few pages of quick (or not so quick) sketches. I must do more studies of the knees for better understanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.