Art: Beginner drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beginner drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner drawing

Hey guys,

One thing that really has me frustrated is my progression. I am very new to the arts and am not moving forward like I would like to be. I ordered a dvd on the human form and my drawing has gotten much better in that sense, but it wont do a thing for me as far as drawing animals and nature goes. What should I be doing to progress to be able to draw the images, in their variety, that come to mind?

I really appreciate any help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw, draw and yeah. DRAW!!!
    you're not gonna get better just sitting on your arse and watching DVD's, you gotta try out the techniques.
    Over and over again.
    And the again. Till you're tired.

And when you're sick and tired of drawing, draw more.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it really doesnt matter what you draw, drawing an animal is NOT that different from drawing a person, what you need is a solid method of translating what you see onto paper...you need to learn to see so that you can draw whatever is presented in front of you.....check out ron lemen (fredflickstone)'s tutorials in the tutorials section of this site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

Right now I am 19 and never really attended any drawing classes or anything (next year I will be for college). I hope that by the end of the year I'll have a solid foundation. Some have been drawing all of their lives and I'm afraid that I'll never catch up. My career is going to be in communication design and the ones that make it in that field can actually draw (unlike a lot that just get by with cheap stock photo tweaking).

How did you guys progress with your drawing? Did it happen in bursts or was it a long process?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rey. You could try the Concept Art 101 link in my sig.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't be afraid of the people who have been "drawing all their lives"....most people just say that....and by drawing they mean aimless doodling that really hasn't gotten them anywhere because it was intermittent and without focus (in general)......i'm no great draftsman myself, but i felt a definite change when i began being more methodical with my drawing, starting from bigger shapes, constructing my figures and generally drawing using my brain as opposed to that "i just sit and draw" crap.....so maybe check out ron lemen's tutorials on this site....try his method (which is largely the reilly method) and try to follow through with it....later on you can try new approaches but most share the common thread of using logic, being methodical and systematic.

hope this helps!

Members who have read this thread: 2