Curriculum Suggestions?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Curriculum Suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Curriculum Suggestions?

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this community and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right subthread or not...but here's my situation:

I'm attending the ever prestigious, Santa Ana Community College. ONLY the best school in the entire world! Anyways, I'm in an intermediate drawing class and the teacher has compiled an open curriculum for us. So far the suggestions she had were:

1.mixed media still life
    2.experimentation with surreal scale and space
    3.diptych-duality(tell me if you need further clarification)
    4.series of 4 drawings
    5.giant self portrait
    6.collaboration.

the material guidelines are as follows:
    graphite, ink, charcoal, pastels, paint, scartchboard etc.

She told us that she was open to any other ideas we may come up with. I want to make this semester fun and interesting, so if you guys could throw in some of your own-that'd be much appreciated.

(I myself want to eventually be a concept artist, or take some other job involving creative illustration.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'm fishing in the wrong lake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what you are looking for here Dankaroni? Are your art instructors looking for you to come up with a curriculum for them? You are the student, correct?

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. Your art class rings a but fuzzy to me. As in it may be a good chance to experiment a bit with a few different mediums, but isn’t going to necessarily get you far down the path of illustration. If you would like assignment suggestions that are specifically geared to help you start learning the skills necessary to a concept artist or other type of illustrator, try the “Concept Art 101” link in my sig.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 326 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Something that is regularly overlooked here is the huge difference between teaching a group of motivated learners who have freely chosen your specific course, and teaching in the general higher education environment. I do some teaching in both, and in the latter you are expected to take note of the results of modern research into learning and teaching. Being a guru who is the font of all knowledge is out. Designing learning activities that engage the bulk of the students instead of just the motivated ones is in. One thing that does seem to work is getting the students to feel involved in the direction and assessment of their course (within limits, obviously). This sort of strategy can be very effective, as long as the teacher actually IS a guru in disguise, so to speak. (If not, then heaven help you, dankaroni!). Let me stress, I'm pretty conservative myself and I tend to be skeptical about a lot of this stuff, but it isn't all rubbish.

Having said that, dankaroni, I agree with Seedling that your list does look a little light on for solid compositional invention and drawing. I suggest you could also take a look around the Activities section of the forum, especially at the different weekly Community Activities, and see if you get an idea that your class could have a shot at - maybe even with the idea of posting your results here!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I don't really know...I'm honestly not really content with the list she provided(A little more disappointed the more I read it). I can't really gauge how much of a "guru" she is because she hasn't shown us any of her work yet, but I'm reluctantly crossing my fingers on that one. Apparently she went to some art school in Pasadena, so atleast she's a couple steps ahead of me. Plus, she's kind of wrinkly so she has that "you can soundly believe most of whatever comes out of my mouth" vibe about her. Her bubbly, childlike enthusiasm for art does make a rather convincing disguise though...
    Taking a look at Seedling's thread, and the Spartan Training threads(lulz) in the Community Activities section, it dawned on me. The problem with this curriculum lies in the fact that her suggestions belong in a beginner's portfolio development class, when it should be focusing more on technical improvement-like-a Salvador Dali remake is gonna go well in a generic portfolio, but drawing 50 gestures over a broad subject base is going to yield much more improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could try printing out some of the tutorials here and showing them to her. (Personally I would love to know how she reacts to my assignments. )

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I've written a lot of stuff down, but it lacks any organization/logical progression. Like I ate up all these ideas from everywhere and come Tuesday, I'm going to throw up in her face. I'd rather just say, "Hey, it's not like I'm flaking off, I just play by MY rules. Let me sing my song, dance my dance, and eat my cheesecake, wench!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dood, don't throw up on your teacher. That stuff stains clothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankaroni View Post
    1.mixed media still life
    2.experimentation with surreal scale and space
    3.diptych-duality(tell me if you need further clarification)
    4.series of 4 drawings
    5.giant self portrait
    6.collaboration.
    aka generic art class. all you're missing is a potluck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, that is correct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so it turns out I was being paranoid. She was very receptive to the new suggestions, and that totally gave me the brownest of noses. I gave myself a pat on the back, and treated myself to some chicken tacos(which were DELICIOUS, by the way.) And Seedling, I reluctantly admit(I personally detest feeding massive egos, totally unnecessary.) she liked your ideas especially. She gave me the green light as long as I finished the current project we were on, so beans for everyone!

thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankaroni View Post
    And Seedling, I reluctantly admit(I personally detest feeding massive egos, totally unnecessary.) she liked your ideas especially. She gave me the green light as long as I finished the current project we were on, so beans for everyone!

thanks.
    Awesome! I hope the stuff I've written makes a good contribution to your education and perhaps even to her curriculum.

Hey, are you saying I have a big ego?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going off on a limb, and using my woman's intuition on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ROFL. Do you mean that you are female, or I am?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Growing up in a pool of estrogen, I simply have attained that superpower as a male. Neat, huh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does that super-power come with tights?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With great power comes great responsibility...and yes, a pair of really kick-ars tights.8)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.