Sketchbook: :: The Blackbook (&bewbs) :: Updated- 03.19 ::

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:: The Blackbook (&bewbs) :: Updated- 03.19 ::

So after lurking around here more often than normal in the last couple of weeks, I decided to suck it up and stop lurking, and finally start a sketchbook.

All of the awesomeness in the sketchbook section is a bit intimidating, though.

Anyway, I'm 17, and spent way too much time drawing pretty girls, and not enough time practicing to get any better. So among my many goals for my art, right now I'm mainly trying to work on posing, and making more interesting and natural (read: not so fucking stiff!) looking poses. Also trying to kick the anime influence from my art. (Definitely made a big improvement there, recently, but it still bugs me a little.)

So feel free to critique, I'd love to hear anything you'd have to say, if it's going to help me get better/learn something new. <-- love doing that.

(And my scanner likes to eat my pictures.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blaque; March 19th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Hey!!!Hahaha,my scanner eats my pictures too!!

The anatomy in the first one is weird,but in the studies and in the colored chick is much better!Keep working hard,man!

the first one has some problems, mainly the short arm and weight distribution (which casuses stiff looking figures). I think your arms are way too short on your latest painted figure aswell.

My fave is the gesture kneeling down, its awesome looks really wound up ready to spring. Just keep pumping out quick gestures and you will improve. Definately try and enrol on some life drawing aswell.

BTW im 18 and i know what you mean about getting stuck on drawing girls all the time, boys count too! so make sure to do a page of each next time you pick up the sketchbook.

wow o.o your digital colouring is soo cool
    I wished I could colour like that!!

Some really nice looking babes here! You have done a good job on that digital one.
    Keep it up! :]

/motives

I really like the way you draw females. Quite similar to mine they are, as it happens.

Nice work all around. I really like how you draw faces (especially #5 from the big post above where you're going to paint it). To me, the lower body and positioning of the limbs could use a little more refinement or reference work on some of the pieces but as a whole, very good! Post some more

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

the girls are smoke'n dig the style

Camara: Thank you.
    smartkyle: That was a very good piece of advice about doing a page of each. (Probably an idea I wouldn't have come up with on my own for quite a while. XD)
    LexMedden: Ahh, thank you. Just practice, and don't be afraid to experiment with something. And don't be scared to mess up! (I had/still have a hard time getting over that one..)
    Motives: Thank you very much.
    dashinvaine: A bit, yeah! I decided to watch you on DA, if the similar usernames hadn't given that away, yet.
    Viking Raider: I'll definitely be posting more! Thanks for stopping by
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect: Heh, thanks!

Annnd, a few new sketches. :3

Name:  lora sketch5.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  120.1 KB
    Name:  loraWIP.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  297.5 KB
    This is the progress of a picture I'm working on for a friend of mine. I adore the lady's face, though, I think I'll be going back and reworking the guy's, many, many times. This is also the first time in a very long while of doing a background of any kind, let alone one that actually works with the characters. I probably over-did the light rays, but I'm not really sure how to go about expressing them.

And these here were quicky bust pictures.
    Name:  haru_speedy.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  84.1 KB
    This one was a small gift.
    Name:  rawr2.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  76.1 KB
    I liked how the colors came out with this one
    Name:  rawr3.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  71.9 KB
    And I noticed how the features are misaligned here.. I may eventually go back and fix it, because I like where this is going so far, but I might just move on.

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

u r talented man..just keep workin' and doin some studies...ur faces r very good..and the colors are nice...i think ur anatomy is fine...just need work so keep it up

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks! ^^
    We got to do some figure drawing in my art class today, and I was very pleased with two of the pictures. (Look forward to next class, too. If the weather is nice we might head out to the park or something to have interesting scenery to include in the studies.

Name:  jai bust.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  138.1 KB
    This was a picture of my friend - she volunteered to model for a bit, and I really loved the angle I saw her face at. >.> Though, she slowly wound up turning completely away! But I am still very happy with this. I just had a hard time figuring out what to do with her body since she kept shifting a bit.

Name:  brett - top 25%.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  153.5 KB
    And I was very happy with this because I rarely work with conte, let alone enjoy it. The angle was a bit strange for me, too, but I think it came out okay.

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

I did some more work on that study.. I'm really pleased with this.

Name:  jai bust 4.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  135.2 KB

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Very nice...I can see a big improvement from the first post. To me, however, the last picture, her head seems a bit elongated. Did you refine the original sketch or draw another one based on the life pose sketch? It's very nice, especially the shading, but like I said, the head proportions seem a bit off.

Kudos, man, you're on the right track!

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Ahhh, I see how it's too long now. I refined the original sketch, I really loved the face too much to just leave it alone.

Thanks for stopping by!

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

great start on your sketchbook. once you start a sketchbook, you're hooked! You lines seem very confident.

Whoo, new stuff!
    Name:  BlaqueFACE.JPG
Views: 1076
Size:  178.4 KB
    Reworked this, liking it much better. *In the process of coloring it, now*

And, two pen studies based off photos I had saved. (Though I started to make corrections on the second, and it looks mostly digital, now.)
    Name:  photo study 1.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  photo study 2a.JPG
Views: 1032
Size:  109.4 KB

And these here were *really* quick. I was outside drawing, and my cat came to join me. Problem was, he was too busy rolling in the dirt and generally being ADD to sit still for more than a few seconds. But it was still fun! I'll have to try drawing him some more.
    Name:  robin.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  24.4 KB

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Progress on the headshot.

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Blaque View Post
    Wow, long time no update. >.< been busy with homework.

Here's a piccy loosely based off myself. Experimenting with different ways to go about coloring and stuff, again. I remembered to keep flipping the picture, this time around!

/impressed with self
    I like this one a lot, congrats on how it came out. You should do more self-portraits and play around with colors. You do have nice females, know that this is a strong point of yours. Now just copy the world around you so you have a real place to plant your girls. Welcome to CA.org's sketchbook section! The new headshot you have reminds me of a original Naruto character I made. *blush* oh how the past embarrasses.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Very nice sketchbook. Your girls are very lively and like the dynamic poses you are using. Color wise, I like a lot the ones in post #10. If you like drawing faces a couple of things that will help you out besides practicing will be learning the guidelines of the proportions of the head as well as some skull studies. Just keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Matsign - Hehe, thank you for the wonderful reply. I'm still getting the hang of drawing from life and references, since for a very long time I was determined to draw from my imagination as much as possible. (That, and after having been a part of various other online communities, it was drilled into my mind that "Copying, references = bad!", so it's still a little hard to break away from.)

As for the girl you see there, she originally started as a Sailor Moon fan character, about... 8 or something years, now? Anyway, she's come a long way since then. (No longer a fan character, though. )

Maestro Andres - Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping that the life drawing classes I'll be taking will help a lot, too. (I'm very excited about it!)

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

#16 &#19 r of the chainny chainny keep wit the good'ns 8)

Mm, thank you!

And, one more update for today. I've spent almost all day on this so far, but I am very pleased with it.

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Here's an attempt at a figure with a background of some sort.

@___@ need tons more practice with this.

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Aww.. sweet style o.o'!
    You've got great talent and skill... at this age!!
    I really like your sense for beauty and the precise way of drawing.
    Keep it going, I'm looking for the next updates .

Btw.... I'm loving Maine!!! I wish I could move there sometimes... Indian Summeeeeeeeerrrrr!!!!!!!

- Jul

I wasn't so sure scrolling through the first few sketches but you stuff got a LOT better fast.

Keep it up.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

That last updates really beautiful. Makes me yearn for a vacation...

Nice work, Blaque, you're laying down a good foundation here. To go back to the implied question in your first post, though - in my opinion, the best method of study to breathe life into your figures is gesture work (more gestural than what is referred to as gesture here, which seems to me to be more like figure construction study). Don't worry about finding the figure per se, just look for the important contours and the lines of force in as many short poses (no more than a minute, certainly) as possible. If you keep pace with your other, more literal work, you'll definitely see the life creep in.

Good stuff!

Autumnal Dream--Hehe, thank you. You've been here before? I think it's a little too quiet. For me, anyways. I'd love to visit Germany sometime.

L. Scott Knight-- Thank you for the encouragement.

Krigbran-- Yeah, a trip to a sunny beach (with warm water, even) would be pretty nice right about now.

Idiomatic-- Oh, that seems like something I should really try, then. Until I get a chance do try something like this with someone actually posing in front of me, I'll have to see about setting up some sort of slideshow with photos, or something. Thanks! (On the other hand, figure construction couldn't hurt, either. ) Thank you so much for the advice!

Also, I decided to re-do the portrait, because now that I look back on it, I know I could have done it better, and I'm not very happy with it anymore. It's not finished yet, but I like where it's headed a lot more than the other.

/ramble

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Hey Blaque, regarding doing gestures from slideshow of photos, you might find this website useful: Posemaniacs. Basically is a slideshow with pictures of figures and you can choose how often the pics change. They use this in this other thread called the
    Spartan training camp, where basically they have the weekly challenge of doing 50 gestures and an extra anatomy study. You should check them out

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Wow, that was an insanely useful link! Both of them were. Thank you so much!

Feel free to visit my

Thanks ♥

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.