View Poll Results: 100 creature thumbnails - What theme?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Version 1: No theme. Make whatever you want.

31 19.14%
  • Version 2: Choose from a pool of different themes (like underwater, herbivore, insects, predator etc) and do 5-10 of them.

87 53.70%
  • Version 3: Fix subject. Make 100 creatures for 1 subject or setting.

29 17.90%
  • I don't care...just let's start this whole thing!

15 9.26%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Cow C.O.W. - 100th round, concept details

Ok, so the mob pretty much decided about the topic for the 100th round...

100 creature thumbnails

I will sum-up the details we discussed in the other thread and then we can continue working out the even-more-details

1. FORMAT

- canvas:
    width: max 2000 px
    height: max 2000 px

- thumbnails:
    50px - 150 px in height and/or width, not bigger or smaller!

- color:
    no b/w or line art. Colors are required.

2. PRESENTATION

- subject:
    Layout is in your hand, but creature design and diversity is the main focus.

- numbering:
    Add numbers to every thumbnail from 001-100.

- text:
    As little text as possible.
    No texting for each creature.

3. CONTENT

- amount:
    100 creature thumbnails

- focus:
    FOCUS is on diversity and design!!!

- creature themes
    Version 1: No theme. Make whatever you want.
    Version 2: Choose from a pool of different themes (like underwater, herbivore, insects, predator etc) and do 5-10 of them.
    Version 3: Fix subject. Make 100 creatures for 1 subject or setting.

- design:
    Make designs which are obviously creatures, stay away from mechanical, industrial and human-like stuff!!!
    No interacting creatures! If so make sure, that the creatures are seen fully, not mixing up the shapes
    We need to see the whole body...no heads only, no cropping to half bodies etc

4. TIME

- 2 weeks:
    You will have (officially) 2 weeks to post your final images. I am not sure about the ideas aspect though, so you might start already, but if we make a preset subject later on you have to start over How thrilling

5. PROCEDURE

- Posting:
    No WIPs in the posting thread, only discussion and questions allowed
    Send me the final images via pm when you are done (within the 2 weeks of execution)

- Poll:
    I will set up the poll as always and post the final images there.
    Voting will work as usual. 1 vote per member. Name of Voters will be visible.
    There might be 2 polls, 1 based on presentation, 1 based on creature designs (actually it is very little work for me, just copying the threads, so maybe there might be even more polls )

Ok, that's what i have so far. If i have forgot something important feel free to mention and let's start to refining the details. Some points are pretty fixed others are still open to debate. Let's roll...
    Last edited by Fozzybar; August 28th, 2007 at 06:21 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Excellent Foz!

Wait...don't tell me we can start right now! *legally* haha~
    Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    How about a slight variation on version 2?

Make 100 thumbs of underwater creatures, or 100 of reptile carnivours, or 100 genital lurkers, etc.

This way the 100 thumbs would all be connected to a theme.

Thanks
    I voted no theme, I had already jumped the gun on starting this for a few simple reasons: I couldn't wait, I might not have the time down the road, and I'm not sure if I would be able to finish it if I started when the topic is actually posted. I spent 4 days on these sketches but here are 105, so I could substitute 5 if any of them don't work for whatever reason.
    I had posted these in my sketchbook thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...2&postcount=28

At any rate even if I had not started I would rather no theme because it lets you get away from just an "insect" or only a select few themed creatures ie; ground, air, water, insect, herbivore etc.. in retrospect if you're looking to make these as diverse as possible than staying away from any geared theme would help allow for more freedom.

Humorous, cute, silly, scary, predator, prey, water, air, winged, insect, omnivore, alien life form, reptile, amphibian, naturalistic, stylized, underground, magical, mammal, elementals, organic, bioluminescent, ghostly, organism, giants, harmless, etc etc.... all types of creatures and themes. If you limit the themes it may limit the ideas.

These are all things that will come into play anyway if you leave it wide open to the artists.
    ----------ScannerDark----------
    :The lights on but nobody's home:
    :Ink Sketchbook:
    :MySpace:
    "See... I can get you what you want, I can. I can get you anything, you just have to talk to me, you have to trust me. You can trust me, 'cause I'm your priest, I'm your shrink... I am your main connection to the switchboard of the soul. I'm the magic man... Santa Claus of the subconscious. You say it, you think it, you can have it."

Thanks
    Supervlieg
    So you are voting for a mix of Version 2 & 3....interesting idea...

Scannerlight
    quote: "Humorous, cute, silly, scary, predator, prey, water, air, winged, insect, omnivore, alien life form, reptile, amphibian, naturalistic, stylized, underground, magical, mammal, elementals, organic, bioluminescent, ghostly, organism, giants, harmless, etc etc.... all types of creatures and themes. If you limit the themes it may limit the ideas."

- well, if you see it that way, then anything you do in conceptart is limiting ideas. In my eyes giving a subject but leaving some space for creativity is the best way to challenge your skills.

Thanks
    I'd go with the second option. How about you use 5 topics, that's 20 thumbs per topic. That should provide enough diversity. (Only one topic for all 100 thumbs sounds like it could get boring to come up with in the end.)

Thanks
    100 thumbnails? What a completely bizarre idea.

Thanks
    I voted for no.1 but I like no.2 as well...

Scannerlight - awesome thumbs! Reminds me a lot of Mike Corriero...though I;m sure you'll be getting that a lot Just remember they have to be coloured as well ~

Thanks
    Wow...Matt Dixon is still alive? Will you participate mate? The man who was with COW from the very beginning, would be a perfect timing to enter again...100th round

Thanks
    I voted number one. If number two wins, as it's looking like it might, I'd prefer it if the subjects were wiiiiiide open.

Thanks
    I don't mind any of the three themes; however, I'd prefer #1.

Thanks

umm

your saying there is going to be 100 creatures, but the poll shows that 16 voted for multiple topics which we can choose from and mix?
    So was the 100 thumbs a prelim or was it something else i missed?

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    i chose number 4, either way it will be fun and challenging, actualy more the challenge the better

Thanks
    Crazy idea, I need a tablet lol xD
    Arnaldo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin-k View Post
    your saying there is going to be 100 creatures, but the poll shows that 16 voted for multiple topics which we can choose from and mix?
    So was the 100 thumbs a prelim or was it something else i missed?
    Option2 means that you have to do 100 creatures but can choose from a pool of topics, so there is some sort of a guideline...

Thanks
    option 2 sounds good to me, but the two polls thing does not.
    the presentation poll seems a bit unnecessary. I say 1 cow, 1 poll, 1 winner!
    Last edited by gunnarsson; September 2nd, 2007 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarsson View Post
    I say 1 cow, 1 poll, 1 winner!
    Hear, hear!~

Thanks
    i voted number one..by mistake ...fozz if you could change it to option 2 wd be good ..well thats only if the margin between the two gets any closer and one vote will make a difference +1 to option 2
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    fixed

Thanks
    thnx, you big red bear you
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    I was thinking about doind a cow based on each on each of COW topics. This wouldn't work for everyone, but I think it suits the "spirit" of the challenge quite well.
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks

Any Date?

Do we know when the 100th C.o.W. is set to begin and end? Have we the official ok to start now? My work schedule is really tight right now, but I reeaaaaallly want to join in for this exciting event (and to try and change from a frequent viewer to an actual participant for a change)

-Rift

Thanks
    It will start when round 99 is over....something between 20th-25th of September...and it will go for 2 weeks.

Thanks
    This is so incredibly cool it lured me here after months of inactivity without me knowing it is there...

I voted for the one-theme-hundred-thumbs variant... I can invent a new planet in mind and imagin all creatures on it... this seems so easy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    - canvas:
    width: max 2000 px
    height: max 2000 px

- thumbnails:
    50px - 150 px in height and/or width, not bigger or smaller!

- color:
    no b/w or line art. Colors are required.
    So I just have a question as far as the rules go. First of all, are these meant to just be sort of rapid ideas (still in color, of course) done at that pixel density (150x150 max) or are they meant to each be fullsized concepts that are then downsized onto one sheet with thumbnails for easy viewing (..and then subsequently having links to individual fullsized paintings).

Because first of all 150x150 squares if placed size by side on a 2000x2000 pixel canvas will equal a lot of dead space if you only do 100 creatures (though I do realize 2000x2000 is the MAX, you don't have to use it). It fits 13.5 squares across and down making for 169 full 150x150 squares (and some margin room). So I suppose you could then in turn add a big old blank space with the title or something, but at that point why not allow for a larger thumbnail size as long as you sit under 2000x2000 pixels for the entire sheet?

If these are meant to be fairly detailed concepts, wouldn't you want a little more resolution on those creatures? If, however, they are meant to be just little quick creatures done sort of as rapid idea generation, I could understand the small thumbnail size for them, as there would be little need to have them at a high resolution.

Anyways, I am just trying to clarify exactly what is meant by "100 creatures in 2 weeks" and what is expected as to the level of detail for each creature. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to spend a ton of time on one if it's only going to be shown at a max of 150x150 pixels, but I want to make sure you don't mean something else by that.

Thanks for the clarifications!
    -D

Thanks
    This idea is so crazily insane that I have to do it ! So can we start now? Or do we have to wait till 99 is over?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    This idea is so crazily insane that I have to do it ! So can we start now? Or do we have to wait till 99 is over?
    Well you could start now... but by the time you finish, the rules may have changed. Im going to wait just to see if i can do 100 (acceptable) thumbnails in 2 weeks.

Cheers!

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    Dusty i think the idea is to create basic thumb nail sketches, possibly working 2-3 larger than asked,(your choice) then reduce the image sizes in order to post here. if your taking more than 20 mins to do each image then your either doing them to big or your putting in to much detail, detail which will probably get lost anyway when you reduce the size after. but don't quote me on this, i could be wrong, lol

Thanks
    Looks like 2 is winning. Hooray! When does this close?

Thanks
    "Color- No B&W, color is required"

What about those animals/creatures that AER Black and White? I mean...do a 50x150px sized thumbnail of an orca or a penguin. The ORca is black and White, the Penguin might have colourspecks, but too small t pop out on such a small piece...

What Im saying is- whilst I can agree that I wont want to see 100 thumbs with black and white painted creatures (grayscale images), I think it would be limiting to completely exclude the possibility of atleast one or two (or a few) that have natural colours going through black and white....

Just a thought...

I voted 2, though I thought it was going to be 100 thumbs...not 5-10...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast