Thanks

Exclamation WIP - Characterdesign Springnewt

Hello guys!

I'm new to this forum so I think I could just introduce myself quickly.
    I’m studying 3d Animations (officially called Communications Design over here) at the University of Applied Science and Arts Hannover in Germany. Currently I’m doing a course called ‘How to Create a Monster’ where we have to design a character with something like an inner conflict.
    At least since ‘The Muppets’ we all know that there are also kind of friendly ‘monsters’ so we’re not forced to produce tons of salivating orcs. Contrawise the aim is to make something more fancy.

In the end we should have a main drawing, some rough expression sketches, a clay sculpture and if possible a digital 3d model.

So first of all here’s my character description:
    WIP - Characterdesign Springnewt

Second here are some expression scetches:

And now this is where I’m really going to need your help: The sculpture. This is the first time I’m working with sculpey or doing something like that anyway. My idea was to sculpt only the muscles first (as if the character was skinned) and then take a brush and some white gas and smooth the hard edges out so it would hopefully look like skin over muscles. Do you think this is gonna work?
    Some fellow students gave me the advice to use white gas for that… but I have kind of a bad feeling about this because I cannot imagine that white gas and an oven work together that well…
    So this is the actual state of affairs:

I’d very much appreciate some critics for my first few steps. Thank you!
    Last edited by eduard; August 27th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The pictures wont get any larger. :/

Thanks
    Hmm, fixed it by now using imageshack and thumbnails. Don't know what that was...

Thanks
    At least somebody could tell me that it's bad

Thanks
    Don't feel bad about the lack of comments eduard. It could be that people just can't see anything wrong to give advice about. I think it's coming along just fine.

As far as smoothing the sculpture, most any type of strong solvent will work. I've tried terpinoid, alcohol, and lighter fluid. I don't know what "white gas" is but I can guess it would be close to lighter fluid.

Just remember to use a very small amount. Solvents will smooth the surface but also eat away small details if you use too much. It's best to save this step for the very last.

If you let the solvent dry completely before baking the Sculpey, it will be fine and wont be a fire hazard.

Thanks
    your sculpt is really cool. I love how you've planned out his entire muscle structure

Thanks
    yeah what gdragon said
    Really like the design and the build up of muscles,cant wait to see more

Thanks
    Heyho!

Thanks for the comments - especially to GDragon for the infos about the solvents.
    Here's a picture of the current version:

My new plan is to bake the muscle version first and put a thin layer of sculpey on top of it so that will hopefully work as skin then. My question is now: Can strong solvents harm the baken sculpey?

Thanks
    It's really looking good. I like the muscles so much, it's a shame you have to cover them up. At least you have pictures of this stage though.

Yes, baking in layers will work great. That's actually the best way to do it in this case. You want the outermost layer to be as thin as possible so it will cure properly. If you bake Sculpey that's too thick, it can cause cracks. Even if you do get some cracks in the muscle layer, the fat and skin layer will cover things up nicely.

The small amount of solvent you'll need to smooth the skin layer wont hurt what has already been baked.

Thanks
    Believe it or not but... I finished the sculpture! It was like 90% finished for some month now but I never came to work on the last details. So here is one picture of the final muscle view and one of the final skin view.

For more pictures and information visit
    http://mariansander.de/galleryview?g2_itemId=192#

So what do you think?

Thanks
    you had great foundation work with his musculature, but I think the skin texture could use a bit of work, the scales or platelates are tooo uniform, giving his body a feel that hes made out of a tiled floor, or kinda resembles an aztec statue. I think more attention to the skin folds and cresases around his joints and crunched up areas would be a definate must on your next project, I'd say in the future when doing scales, pull some ref from as many scaly creatures as you can, see what parts of them resemble your character the most and try to capture the way their scales are developed in the key areas. I look forward to seeing the next piece
    I'd rather be rich than stupid