Art: Figure Gestures

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Figure Gestures

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    these are great!

I like your rendering technique - I'm learning from it. my only crit would be a comment, really. It'll be nice to see all the figure in your work - meaning the hands and feet draw as at least a structure if you don't have time to draw detail. I know you have done this on some, maybe the others are body studies?

The rest of your figure work is great, you can certainly draw torsos and weight, so it's a shame not to pay some attention to these other details. it just makes the figure more complete (well for me) just a few lines is enough so it doesn't feel 'open ended'.

anyway it's just something I do - try to get the complete figure in first and then work into the figure, that way - when you run out of time, you have more of an image, because the viewer's mind makes up the rest. Plus of course, I didnt draw hands and feet much when I started life drawing, I was a bit afraid of tackling them because they were (and still are in some respects) one of my weak areas, but then felt that the hands and feet, and face, of course, are just as important as everything else.

Here's some of my work, illustrating what I mean - not as well executed as your stuff, though. this is old work for me, trying to find a local life drawing class that's on in the evening and it's proving to be difficult to find...

here's a longer pose - as you can see, I've concentrated on the body - the hands and feet are not worked into much - I was leaving them till last, but sketched enough in that if I ran out of time it didn't matter much.( I like to sketch in the surroundings too - so there's a relation to the figure and the space she's in - as we all live in an environment, not free space)

not really happy with the face - not with any of these figures - I better find that class!

hope Ive been of some help - look forward to seeing more stuff from ya.
    cheers
    jez

Last edited by jezelf; October 2nd, 2002 at 06:31 AM.

Thanks
    Great stuff Banana! My only comment too would be to finish the whole figure and give yourself enough paper to do it. You have the eye and the skills to do it, don't let them go to waste because you don't have enough space. Beautiful work! Question: Who are some of the artists you have looked at/ have helped you the most for figure?:confused:

Thanks
    yeah you guys are right... i should do the feet, hands and head more... i fail to see why i didnt put those things in..... arrgg.

as for inspiration, there isnt an artist who doesnt inspire me. everyone has something to contribute, even the worst artists. if you want specifics, i guess i like to look at michelangelo, pontormo, mucha, NOT sargent. sargent's figures.. i dont like. i love his charcoal portraits tho. geez, theres so many... i cant name them all. just keep drawing, thats the only soltion to anything. hehe.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.