Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 88

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)

    When I draw, the subject is almost always a person. The problem is, I'm not very good so everyone I draw always looks exactly the same. I'm trying to rectify this problem by drawing a lot unique portaits from photo references of interesting-looking people. My hope is that I will some day be able to use all of the distinctive characteristics that I notice while drawing them in my own drawings from imagination. It's a lot of fun but I'm running out of fun references.

    Basically, this is a topic to post pictures of interesting-looking people with unique or distinctive characteristics.

    PS: Sorry if this is a lame topic.


    I'll get started.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Noodles, the guitarist from the Offspring. I love his coke bottle glasses that, according to a friend, were so thick they could make out his eyes while he was on stage.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    I love Abe Vigoda but you just can't tell me he doesn't look like this monkey. Especially when you see him with wide eyes.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    And finally, just some jovial fellow.

    But I've already drawn all of these and I'm now searching for more. If anyone else wants to contribute, that'd be great.

    Again, sorry if this is a lame topic.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Weeda For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong, Bangkok, Darjeeling
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Fantastic idea for a thread.
    One can never have enough reference for characters. Let me dig through the HD and I'll post up some good faces.

    Mambo

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 937 Times in 221 Posts
    Pretty interesting topic.

    I think Hugh Laurie has an interesting looking face. Plus, he makes a lot of strange expressions. I used this as a reference for something once:
    blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluefooted For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,535
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 308 Times in 195 Posts
    It's a fun challenge to make non-interesting things interesting. When I was younger I would draw less saying "that's boring.. that guy is boring.. this is boring... boring boring boring"

    then I thought one day

    If I could make all that stuff not boring I'd be drawing a lot more stuff

    so I did and I do.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    It's a fun challenge to make non-interesting things interesting. When I was younger I would draw less saying "that's boring.. that guy is boring.. this is boring... boring boring boring"

    then I thought one day

    If I could make all that stuff not boring I'd be drawing a lot more stuff

    so I did and I do.
    I don't draw much, I don't draw enough, but when I do sometimes I come out with some fairly decent stuff. I also go with this policy. Although it may not be great for learning portraits (I haven't really spent enough time on them, to be honest) it can be great fun.

    Say, drawing a 70s office block in London, it's good for perspective and for shading, etc. but, well, it's boring. Where're the giant space pandas fighting with the laser-squids? Well there aren't any, so you add them. It just makes it more fun.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 52 Times in 22 Posts
    I don't mean to be a detractor from an otherwise great thread idea, however....

    As far as learning to be a good portrait artist goes, I think it's best to learn on particularly normal-looking individuals. (not to mention from LIFE) The blander the better, IMO. The reason I say this is because you'll really learn to appreciate the subtle differences that makes a person who they are. Learning on people who are already a caricature of themselves really is taking the challenge out of it because you can get away with rather large mistakes but it will still look like them because they have such a unique face.

    Don't worry, everyone goes through the "wow this really looks nothing like the person I'm drawing" phase.

    Anyway, as I said I think this is a great thread idea. Although I have nothing to share.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gory View Post
    I don't mean to be a detractor from an otherwise great thread idea, however....

    As far as learning to be a good portrait artist goes, I think it's best to learn on particularly normal-looking individuals. (not to mention from LIFE) The blander the better, IMO. The reason I say this is because you'll really learn to appreciate the subtle differences that makes a person who they are. Learning on people who are already a caricature of themselves really is taking the challenge out of it because you can get away with rather large mistakes but it will still look like them because they have such a unique face.

    Don't worry, everyone goes through the "wow this really looks nothing like the person I'm drawing" phase.

    Anyway, as I said I think this is a great thread idea. Although I have nothing to share.
    Good point. This thread will just be for when I feel like having fun rather than studying. Although, I guess I should take the advice offered earlier in the thread and try to make boring subjects fun. In any case, it would seem the important thing is that I just draw more than I have been.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    bluefooted, I think Laurie is one of the strangest looking guys in Hollywood. Really cool.

    For me, Ed Harris is the prototype of squar-ish heroes with sharp cheekbones, tense cheeks and small, captivating eyes.
    Ed Harris

    And here goes Mr. David Strathairn in "Good Night, And Good Luck". I don't know what it is, maybe the tear sacs and the birdlike mouth.
    David Strathairn

    The younger Francis Sternhagen looked odd in some cases and continued to look even more interesting when she got older.

    Steve Buscemi (!).

    His friend Peter Stormare.

    Macy Gray for her extremely broad face and edged contours.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Here's my contribution:

    1. Tilda Swinton: Her androgynous looks and structured face is very artsy in my opinion.
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)


    2. Helena Bonham Carter: Tim Burton's wife, she has a very odd-but-beautiful look. Hurray for Bellatrix.
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)


    3. This guy: Not sure who he is, but I randomly saw his picture and thought that he was beautiful - in an artistic way I mean.
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)


    That's it for me. Hope you found them as inspiring as I do..?

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sleep_Eden_sleep For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK, Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 154 Times in 81 Posts
    Nice idea! Actually its good timing as I'm at this stage of learning about face variation. Personally I try and stay away from photo refs as much as possible, but as I have been stuck in the middle of nowhere over the summer holidays I have found it hard to build up my visual memory just from drawing my parents.
    So what I have been doing is looking at and comparing faces to each other. I have only just begun this experiment so not much progress just yet.

    I felt ever so strange the other day when I left the house to go shopping. I was staring at everybody with amazement as to how diverse people can be.

    This site is incredibly fascinating! Here

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

  15. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  16. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong, Bangkok, Darjeeling
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Mr. Man... brilliant post.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 128 Times in 96 Posts

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,233
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 107 Times in 91 Posts
    Mr. Man, your post instantly reminded me of a favorite television movie of mine, Gettysburg. In the opening credits they had many of these old pictures of generals and officers and then they're transition to the actors portraying them. The likenesses were very uncanny.

    Some links I found:
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Last edited by Matsign; August 27th, 2007 at 04:35 AM.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |


    | My Sketchbook |

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Sunshine State
    Posts
    1,598
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked 226 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsign View Post
    Mr. Man, your post instantly reminded me of a favorite television movie of mine, Gettysburg. In the opening credits they had many of these old pictures of generals and officers and then they're transition to the actors portraying them. The likenesses were very uncanny.

    Some links I found:
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    I just had to watch this movie for my American History Summer night class, its a great movie.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Wales- UK
    Posts
    2,338
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 228 Times in 100 Posts
    Models are often chosen for having a different kind of look, not the normal type thing, the alien shape head and huge eyes is quite common among other things- so theres loads of great references in that field in terms of not your average looking person to draw
    Iekeliene Strange
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Gemma Ward
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Lily Cole
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    And Devon Aoki
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    You might know her from films like Sin city
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    I'll have a think of a few more, i'm kinda into fashion hence the models, but ill think of something else hehe

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Ellingsworth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeda View Post
    When I draw, the subject is almost always a person. The problem is, I'm not very good so everyone I draw always looks exactly the same. I'm trying to rectify this problem by drawing a lot unique portaits from photo references of interesting-looking people. My hope is that I will some day be able to use all of the distinctive characteristics that I notice while drawing them in my own drawings from imagination. It's a lot of fun but I'm running out of fun references.

    Basically, this is a topic to post pictures of interesting-looking people with unique or distinctive characteristics.

    PS: Sorry if this is a lame topic.


    I'll get started.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Noodles, the guitarist from the Offspring. I love his coke bottle glasses that, according to a friend, were so thick they could make out his eyes while he was on stage.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    I love Abe Vigoda but you just can't tell me he doesn't look like this monkey. Especially when you see him with wide eyes.

    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    And finally, just some jovial fellow.

    But I've already drawn all of these and I'm now searching for more. If anyone else wants to contribute, that'd be great.

    Again, sorry if this is a lame topic.
    Who else, when seeing that picture thought INSTANTLY, Borat? Maybe it's just me.

    Mr. Man: Those are some beautiful pictures, thanks for posting them.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,556
    Thanks
    1,340
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    my grandma and i were going through some old old photos of my great great grandparents. they were from belgium, and my grandfather lived to be 100, which was a huge thing back in the early 1900's, got in the paper and everything. anyways, there were some amazing photos taken of him and his wife and a few other relatives. all very intricately detailed, beautifully taken. ill try and find them and scan them in for you guys.

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    434
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 33 Times in 7 Posts
    i like drawing older people and rural people who look like they have spent alot of time working really hard. most of mine i find from http://www.trekearth.com (man i post this link so much i feel like im advertising for them) just click on the map and ya find interseting people from all over the world.
    never updated sketchbook

    hopefully weekly updated blog

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joelhinxman For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 101 Times in 37 Posts
    Eskil Simonsson

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 128 Times in 96 Posts
    what an inspirational thread everyone here seems interesting to me(except the models, I'm not into alien head kind of models )

    my vote goes to Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, not because he's particularly interesting in terms of facial features, but he had a congenital defect which left his left arm withered, smaller than the other one and unusable, and the great lengths that he goes to conceal that arm in pictures are VERY interesting to me, and plus, all those flamboyant braids and buttons and arrogant, over the top poses in his pictures. It's a bit like when someone has a tiny dick and bought a big car to compensate for their lack of size ...*cough*
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw) I dont' know why the artist paints his left arm normally there, but i guess it's meant to flatter...sooooo
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw) poser!
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:


  31. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,058
    Thanks
    2,088
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 593 Posts
    It's an old one..but still interesting

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:


  33. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    It's an old one..but still interesting

    haha trust the crazy guy to pick that stupid ass gun

  34. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,867
    Thanks
    1,131
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Why would anyone give this guy a gun?????

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1188398454

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    It's an old one..but still interesting
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

    Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

    or my Artstation

    Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,865
    Thanks
    625
    Thanked 700 Times in 367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    Why would anyone give this guy a gun?????

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1188398454
    you never know... since most people close an eye while aiming he might be a reliable shot.

  37. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 530 Times in 246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    It's an old one..but still interesting
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1188398454
    Am I the only person that got reminded of Albrecht Durer from this?
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)


    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    This guys flickr is filled of awesome portrait photography.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/louobedlam/
    My Sketchbook

    frazmctag@gmail.com

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:


  39. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 128 Times in 96 Posts
    why the caboobie is that guy's head/eyes like that??? O_o

  40. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Algonquin Land
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 29 Times in 11 Posts
    Grace Kelly

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to tarc For This Useful Post:


  42. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    'The art is not to find interesting people but to find something interesting in all people.

  43. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 42 Times in 19 Posts
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)Interesting Looking People (to draw)

  44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yiako For This Useful Post:


  45. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    414
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 58 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiako View Post
    Interesting Looking People (to draw)Interesting Looking People (to draw)
    wow! who is that woman? that is easily the most interesting face i've seen in a long time

  46. The Following User Says Thank You to ciots For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Getting over an inhibition to draw people.
    By absorbs quickly in forum Art Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
  2. People looking over your shoulder as you draw
    By Sphyzex_9 in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: November 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
  3. Art: Where do you draw people?
    By madeyes in forum Fine Art
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
  4. know any famous people who like to draw?
    By StephenC in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 1st, 2003, 04:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast