Sketchbook: Meds' sketchbook/a beginner looking for advice and critiques

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Meds' sketchbook/a beginner looking for advice and critiques

I am a new artist and have been drawing for a little more than a year. I have not taken an art class since I was in the 8th grade, so I am trying to use all the resources that I possibly can to learn and that is why I am here. I have been on deviantart for about a year, but realized that I really need to learn the basics and could use some good critiques. So, here are my first sketches:

Here is a silent hill fanart and two colored versions.

All critiques are welcome. My personal goal is to try to do some type of daily sketch and at the moment I am focusing on anatomy.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by meds; March 27th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the first sketch, but i think when you added colour the face came out looking less peaceful than in the original. theres something about the nose i dont like, i think you need to add a bit of shading on the side so it doesnt look like her nose comes down flat on the side, and maybe work with the shape of the lips a bit more to make them look more natural.

good start though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I got my first critique. This character is anything but peaceful, but I can definitely see your point when comparing the sketch with the colored version. I will see if I can add some more shading to the nose area. Lips have been a constant struggle for me even if I use a reference, so I may just need to break down and study them. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some new sketches.

1. I practiced some lips, drew my goldie named Beluga and drew a quick portrait while watching tv. I was watching Judge Judy. Hahahaha!
    2. This is my mom's cat, Solomon
    3. just some quick practice sketches
    4 All of the last sketches are for a friend who is writing a book and needs help coming up with a creature design. She gave me some of her ideas and I am in the very early stages of putting something together for her. They are kind of crappy, but hopefully this is a start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few more pictures that I was able to work on when I had some vacation time from work. The last picture shows some changes I made to an earlier picture after receiving some critiques. Critiques are welcome as always!

Last edited by meds; October 7th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heys meds welcome to the boards

to me, the main problem areas are proportion and volume. though i think thats the same with everyone...I can see you are using basic shapes to block out the figure and thats good, however they are flat shapes, you really need to think about volume and depth. how does that shape curve around in space?

watch that you dont rely on your outline too much, make sure you pay just as much attention to what is between the lines.

the changes you made to the figure with the red hair are great

also watch the super soft rendering, mix it up a bit and dont be afraid to get loose with your linework...i guess what i mean is dont be too precious, get some energy in there!

hope i helped...ah, sorry if i confused you

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! Your comment did make sense, and it is also very helpful. I think a lot of what you said about lines, volume and proportions are things that I just recently started to realize were a problem, and it is good to hear someone point that out. I appreciate it. It is also good to know that I made some improvements on the redhead picture.

I think before I try to dive into anatomy, I may just need to do some practice pictures of basic shapes to get a better idea of volume and depth, like you said. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found the new mentoring thread, and I am now seeking a mentor. If you happen to look at this sketchbook and want to mentor, please let me know. Anyway, I plan to follow along with some of the assignments on the other mentoring threads on my own until I find a mentor. I also plan to attempt the concept art 101 assignments. I will post those sketches here as I do them, but for now here are some other sketches that I have done. There isn't really anything good here, but I should show what I have worked on. The unfinished face is the only one I drew from life, but he got up and left so I couldn't finish. I plan to do more drawing from life as much as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a little exercise I did after reading through one of the mentoring threads. I still think that I am going to have a hard time going from stick figures to fleshy figures, but I assume that is where drawing from life as much as possible is going to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work. I like the one with the girl with the hat. It's great that your studying Loomis, it really helps with posture and general figure construction.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I have a lot more studying to do when it comes to anatomy and posture, but I am determined.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are more studies. I am now participating in one of the mentoring threads, and the first picture was part of an assignment. The second picture was a request from a friend. A reference picture was used. Unfortunately there are a lot of things that are wrong, but I guess I will learn for the next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what i see in ur thread, is that some of the things u make, (especially heads) are REALLY good, and others, like bodies are a little less. so focus on that part, and ull become a great drawer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I totally agree. Anatomy is one of my weak points and is one thing that I am really trying to focus on at the moment. I need to start putting a whole lot more time into practicing. Often, I get an idea and just start drawing rather than draw to study and practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for ur critique on my sketchbook, uve the honor being the first
    about ur anatomy: check out Andrew Loomis' book about it, i didnt read it yet, im working on my heads first, on which he has a great book as well by the way, even with the nice heads u draw at the moment, u might pick some things up from it. oh, and the mother with the child is nice, its almost a picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used a photo reference for the first one, but I started to feel like something was off, so I plan to start over on that one. The figure/maniquien (sp?) study is for my mentoring weekly assignments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess this is a little more of a finished picture than a sketch, but I will post it here anyway. Also, here is another assignment from my mentoring thread. I finally have the Andrew Loomis book so I am going to start studying a little bit everyday, and I hope that it will show in some of these figures that I am doing with my mentor. As always critiques are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are more Loomis studies for my weekly assignments with my mentor. The assignment was to draw a manniquen (sp?) but to also add some mass to the figure. I think I am slowly getting better, but I have a lot more studying to do. Also, there are a few one point perspective practices in there too for the Perspective 101 assignments. Sorry for the crappy scan, and for the lines on the paper. A friend gave me a little notebook that had lines, but was the perfect little size to take to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a part of the last assignment that I just did. I hope that I am showing some improvement with these figures, although I know there is still a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are more Loomis studies for my mentoring thread and a clown picture. My proportions are still off, but I think they are slowly getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She may be a character for a story that I am writing for a writing challenge this month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see improvement already - so the work is paying off.

I especially liked your dancing skeletons - good energy there. Be careful of head size - either your heads tend to be smallish or your figures a little wide. Also keep in mind where the weight of the body is being supported - generally a vertical line down from the head, sometimes your figures seem to be floating a little.

I think your shaded drawings have an appealing romantic quality - almost wistful.

And I love Solomon the cat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Coleb. Your words are encouraging. I totally agree that I need to focus more on where the weight should be distributed. I will keep that in mind for my next drawing.

Here is another weekly assignment. I feel like my male looks much better than my previous male figures, but my female seems to be lacking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your shading skill is good , maybe you can teach me some of your skill. You r showing improvement. So dont worry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your kind words Yintek, and thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I will return the favor.

Here are more quick anatomy studies in preparation for this week's assignment. I am still using Andrew Loomis as reference, although I am trying to study the shapes rather than just copy the pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Meds. It was nice being in a class with you and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, your stuff is improving fast keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a while since I have updated this sketchbook. Now that things have slowed down a bit, I hope to do this on a more regular basis. Here are some drawings. The last drawing is a Tale of Two Sisters fanart. I plan to jump back into my anatomy studies soon.

Last edited by meds; March 27th, 2008 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, no update. Hopefully, I can update this a little more regularly from now on. As always critiques are welcome and needed. Here are some things I worked on:

For the first picture I used a reference picture with permission from the photographer. Please visit his site to find the original, http://footomch.deviantart.com/

Last edited by meds; March 27th, 2008 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo!
    good that ur back! doesnt look like u didnt draw at the time u didnt post though, cuz i can see clear progress!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2