AP Studio Art Question

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AP Studio Art Question

Not quite a college question, but I figure it has to do with education. Is that okay?

SO, I'm in AP Studio Art for some random reason this year. And I've got sort of a simple question that I can't seem to find an answer for, from either my teachers or the CollegeBoard materials and website. So, for those who have already taken the course or have a general idea of whatever the heck goes on inside the massive abyss that is CollegeBoard...

Are you allowed to use Photoshop (and similar programs) for Studio Art (Drawing)?

My class is set up so that you don't really have to decide which subject you're picking (Drawing, 2D Design, 3D) until we start submitting pieces. But I'm kind of wary of starting any digital pieces if I'm going to be doing the Drawing subject. Apparently (according to my teacher), I could simply submit my art to the 2D Design section if I paint digitally, but looking at the description of the course, it clearly says to incorporate "design elements", which I'm not so sure could be accurately portrayed unless I were actually doing graphic design. And I don't really want to jeopardize my score over something stupid like this by submitting my stuff in the wrong category.

I could not use a digital program, but I'd like to have a little variety in the media that I don't suck at.

Yep, that's it. Thanks in advance?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just coming out of high school and about to submit it off to a prosepctive school, I would still want to see your best work. I wouldn't make an entire portfolio based upon just digital work though. Show some variety. I would still show some basic foundation drawings- such as drawing from life, some figurative work, etc.. Colleges would love superstars but more importantly they want to know simply... can you handle the basics? They'll teach you how to observe forms, how to use light & shadow, delineate forms, etc..

And just because you use Photoshop, Painter or some other digital program doesn't mean that you still can't incorporate design elements in it. Illustrations have to be designed out too; design elements aren't just solely the domain of graphic design.

Remember that Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator or some other fancy digital program is just a fancy thousand dollar tool. Show me you understand the basics before you dazzle me with your knowledge of a medium first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for answering. Yeah, I figure colleges want to see a lot of the basics, so I was mainly considering Photoshop for certain pieces in my Concentration.

An entirely digital portfolio certainly wouldn't best represent my abilities as an artist, I agree, so I'm going to try and put a lot of variety in the media that I use. Again, thanks for replying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you DO enjoy adding Photoshop/Computer generated artwork, you'd be under a 2D Design Portfolio (which includes all 2-dimensional artwork, like drawings/graphic designs/mixed media/etc - anything that is art and is flat essentially, photography included I think - one or two students in my old AP art class included their photography in their 2D design portfolio), if you didn't already know that. Just an fyi

A drawing portfolio is strictly drawing, pencil to paper, charcoal to paper, bare bones sort of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My teacher told me I wasn't allowed to, but I don't think he knew what I meant. I think he thought I meant photo manip or filters or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know someone who used photoshop to work on pieces for a 2D Design portfolio. I don't know for which part of her portfolio, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently in my second year of AP studio art last year I did drawing and painting and this year I'm doing 2-D design..my teacher did not allow me to enter any of my digital pieces last year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceuponastar View Post
    I'm currently in my second year of AP studio art last year I did drawing and painting and this year I'm doing 2-D design..my teacher did not allow me to enter any of my digital pieces last year.
    Personally I'd like a more indepth explanation as to why it wasn't allowed.

If they didn't think it was in your best interest, then say so. If they say the quality just isn't there, I can live with that as well. If there were restrictions then please explain (Scholastics has huge restrictions as to usage of found photographs), but to not allow a piece to be entered without due explanation is just wrong. Again, what was the criteria for the refusal?

After all it's your portfolio and your entry. Now if the school pays for your entry into a competition or something along those lines and a line needs to be drawn, that's understandable.

Just take a look at some of the gorgeously hot pieces computer generated here on this site and tell me that's not worthy of entry into any competition!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I aknow someone who used digital work in a 2D Design portfolio. The AP Studio Art collegeboard PDF file [ http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_dow...ioart-0708.pdf ] states on page 14 that
    "students are asked to demonstrate mastery of 2-D design through any two-dimensional medium or process, including, but not limited to [...] digital imaging [...]"
    so digital stuff is allowed for a 2D Design portfolio.

For a Drawing portfolio, however, it states on page 23 that
    " [...] digital imaging [...] may NOT be submitted for the Drawing Portfolio."

So I'm going to take it that unless someone comes and posts in this thread that they've used digital work in a Drawing Portfolio the answer to your question is no, you can't use your digital work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in the Drawing category, but it is allowed in the 2d design category. I'm kind of in the same boat as you - taking the class this year and I'm really not sure which one I'm doing.. I supposed I'll probably end up doing Drawing, but ... I really wish that we were able to use digital mediums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely submit a 2-D portfolio if you're doing digital works. I used digital pieces in my breadth, and then did pen and ink with colored pencil for basically the entirety of my concentration and ended up somehow with a 5. I think that 2D doesn't necessarily have a correlation with graphic design elements so much as just mixed media.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.