Moving line-art on the canvas

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moving line-art on the canvas

Hello helpful people

After taking Jins advice and trying all the brushes and all of their varieties, canvases and weaves, etc etc...and done a bit of exercises... I've decided to attempt my first bit of art. Here is my first question... and I am sure there will be many to follow.

I am in the process of sketching out a piece, and have realized that the art is a bit high on the canvas.... My question is, is there a way to move the line art that is on the canvas around? I am sure the answer is simple.. but it is eluding me!

Thank you!

By the way... WindowsXP pro, PainterX, Wacom Intuos 3... lemme know if you need any more info.

Cheers!

~Lea

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, if you cut and paste it to its own layer, you can move that layer around either by holding Command/Control (Mac/PC) or by picking the black pointer thing from the tools palette. But you should probably put the line art on its own layer in the first place, because by cutting/pasting you're also pulling all the white pixels with the line art (or whatever color your background is).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

To add to, and clarify FoStraight's suggestion:
    • It's true that holding down the Command/Control key (or Ctrl/Command key) will temporarily activate the Layer Adjuster tool when the Brush tool and some (but not all) other tools are active.
    • You don't need to hold down the Command/Control key to move a Layer around to reposition the imagery it contains.
    • The "black pointer thing from the tools palette" is the Layer Adjuster tool.
    • Whichever method you use to lift the Canvas to a Layer, the white background will also be lifted to the Layer.

Here's the simplest and most effective way to:
    • Place your line work on a Layer
    • Make the white background transparent
    • Give yourself the ability to move that Layer around above the Canvas
    • Avoid accidentally moving or painting on that Layer
    • Paint without disturbing the black line work

1. Select > All (or use Ctrl/Comand+A) to select the entire Canvas.

2. Click the Layer Adjuster tool (or click the F key to activate the Layer Adjuster tool).

3. Click inside the selection to lift the Canvas to a Layer. This is Layer 1 (providing you don't already have Layers above the Canvas in which case the Layer will be given the next available number).

4. If you do already have other Layers above the Canvas, highlight the new line work Layer in the Layers palette list, then click and drag it to the top of the Layers list.

5. In the Layers palette, with the new Layer highlighted in the Layers list, go to the Composite Method drop down list (top left rectangle where you'll see the word Default) and choose Composite Method Gel. Now your line work Layer's background is transparent so you can see through it while painting on underlying Layers or the Canvas.

6. With that Layer still highlighted, click the F key to activate the Layer Adjuster tool then, in the image, click and drag to move the line work to the desired position. To fine tune the positioning, while the Layer Adjuster tool is still active and the line work Layer is highlighted in the Layers palette list, you can click the up, down, right, and left arrow keys to nudge it into position.

7. With that Layer still highlighted, click the Lock icon at the top of the Layers palette, on the right side just above the Layers list.

8. Then, since you may not be able to see the Lock icon when the Layer is highlighted, click Canvas in the Layers list to un-highlight the line work Layer and see if there's now a Lock icon on the right side of the Layer's name bar. If not, repeat Step 7 until you do see the Lock icon. Now your Layer cannot be accidentally moved and you won't be able to accidentally paint on it.

9. If you need to reposition the Layer again, click the Lock icon on the right side of the Layer's name bar to unlock it, then lock it again when you're finished repositioning the Layer.

10. It may help you to rename the line work Layer from Layer 1 (or whatever number Painter gave it) to something like Line Art. To do that, in the Layers palette list, double-click the line work Layer to open the Layer Attributes dialog box. You'll see the current name is highlighted and you can just type the new name, then click the OK button.

11. Do your painting/coloring on the Canvas or on other Layers positioned below the line work Layer.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you sooo much Jin! That was extremely helpful!

Next time, I've learned... dont put the line art on the canvas in the first place!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To save from starting a whole new thread on my seemingly asinine questions... I can't believe I am asking this....

When I create a new layer.. and paint on it... absolutely nothing shows up... what am I doing wrong?

As of right now I am only able to paint directly on the canvas...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    have you actually selected the layer you wish to use in the right hand corner layer palet? also instead of asking here all the time, why dont you look through the help me files that in the painter program, basicly almost anything you need to know will be in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scattergold View Post
    To save from starting a whole new thread on my seemingly asinine questions... I can't believe I am asking this....

When I create a new layer.. and paint on it... absolutely nothing shows up... what am I doing wrong?

As of right now I am only able to paint directly on the canvas...
    Hi Scattergold,

Your question is certainly not asinine! No sincere question is, for that matter.

There's a bug in Painter X (and may also be in Painter IX but I don't recall for sure now) that makes it appear Preserve Transparency is not enabled when it actually is.

The solution is to click inside the Preserve Transparency box one or two times until the check appears in the box. Then click one more time to disable Preserve Transparency.

You'll probably need to do this in each Painter session, so try to remember this solution.

Also...

Some brush variants only work on existing color on a Layer and if you paint on transparent areas, nothing happens. For example:

Brush variants that use Method Plugin only work on existing color. These brush variants are found in, among others, the following brush categories:
    • Distortion
    • F-X
    • Photo

A few of the Impasto variants only work on existing color or existing Impasto brush strokes' depth.

Some of the Palette Knives variants only work on existing color.

Jin

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    have you actually selected the layer you wish to use in the right hand corner layer palet?
    This was a good suggestion and you'd have done well to stop there.

also instead of asking here all the time, why dont you look through the help me files that in the painter program, basicly almost anything you need to know will be in there.
    While a lot can be found in Help Topics, not everything can and certainly not information on bugs.

The wise person asks when they haven't been able to find the answers after trying and Scattergold is obviously not too lazy to try.

Be kind, thoughtful, and generous and you may get the help you need with you ask for it some time in the future.

Cheers!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Hi Scattergold,

Your question is certainly not asinine! No sincere question is, for that matter.

There's a bug in Painter X (and may also be in Painter IX but I don't recall for sure now) that makes it appear Preserve Transparency is not enabled when it actually is.

Jin

Thanks so much! this fixed it!!! You're the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the solution to my problem

Hi, Lin.

Thanks for your kindness and professionalism answering our questions!

I've been frustrated w/ Painter X for a month trying to find a fix for this behavior but you came to save us poor mortals.

It is really apprecited when we find someone who's willing to share their knowledge withour judging anyone by their level or expertise.

If you feel like, take a look at my website to see how you like it.

Thanks again.

Edson Andrade
    Roadshow Autosports
    www. roadshowautosports.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.