The Path to GLORY.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Path to GLORY.

Sup.

I'm Egoraptor. I've been drawing my whole life but never really took it seriously until now. I've taken no classes and I really don't know anything about art theory, composition, color balance, etc etc etc etc. So I come to you, Conceptart.org, to drastically improve my skills and to more deeply and effectively explore my imagination. I am at your mercy, Conceptart.org, and I will listen to every word you spill at me.

My first post ever is an experiment in lighting and mood. ALL critiques welcome. Paragraphs upon paragraphs accepted.

The Path to GLORY.

Click here for BIGGER.

Thank you, guys and gals.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a weird style. Not that it's bad, necessarily, just weird how you've gone very cartoony with your line work and then tried for realism with the colours and shading. I like that green guy a lot.

Stuff that doesn't work:
    -The lines on some parts of his face but not others, his mouth is more of a smudge.
    - The light-source, and secondary light source thing. Either there's a giant incandescent blue bulb on their left (our right), or the moon has mysteriously swooped down to ground level. Also, the secondary highlights are the same colour on the guys coat as on his face. Not possible

Stuff that does:
    -eyes are nice and expressive
    -that shadow on the green things stomach. good thinking!
    -green thing in general. Look at that cute little face

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh hmm I get what you're saying about the lines on the face and the colors on the face vs. the coat. I do however have a question about the gripe with the blue lighting... is it really that distracting? If it is I really have no problem scrapping it. I added it to try to enhance the mood a little... kind of give it some of that opposite color effect since the lighting on the left is yellowish... but does it really not work that well? Please tell me more, I'm very interested!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not that bad, it's just that I have no idea where it's coming from, so it is a little weird. I guess it could be moonlight, but it's coming more from the side then above, and the moon isn't really that blue.

Also, the thing about the light not changing colour on the coat is distracting and noticeable. I mean you've kinda let the brown bleed through a bit, but it still ends up the same colour as on his face. It's definitely an interesting picture though, so keep working at it

EDIT: I did a quick edit in photoshop to give you an idea:
    Name:  editguy.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  184.8 KB

Last edited by FoxinShocks; August 23rd, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.