enviro needs improvment

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

enviro needs improvment

Started this sketch today, it's quite finished but I'd like to improve it. so help me please

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. Landscape here, but its not done. What the buildings are doing there and what they are exactly isn't clear to me. That cliff has some nice depth to it. Give the rest of the cracks some depth too. Didn't you do those mod environments in the FF section a while back?

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey h2rra,
    Looks like you've got some good work started there.

The more I look at it, the more i think I understand about where you wanted to take the piece but I'm not sure its coming through.

The shack campus, is it supposed to be on a ledge or rock outcropping? Im not sure that I agree with Matsign that the depth is working. It seems to me that the rocks have all started to bleed together, flattening what could otherwise be a dramatic setting. Id start thinking about the light being cast and how you can, using some more extreme colors (think saturation) and values to achieve some dramatic distance between the foreground (shacks and their pedestal jutting out) and background (vast featureless desert)

As for the composition, you might think about slightly re-imagining the scene in order to add some other element or elements that will not only lend a little more movement to the piece but to its overall interest level and distinctiveness. Once you've got that, you can start spending as much time detailing that new element as well as all the rock formations that you've spent on your run-down shack campus.

Not to nitpick but something about the perspective isn't sitting right with me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great crits guys, thanks alot! I really struggled with the piece, but accidently doubled some overlay layers and this sunset lightning appeared. I think it improved the distance issue etc. Damn, I just noticed that horizont is a bit tilted atm :/ And I'm not sure about the fog in the canyon. Anyway what do you think?

edit: modified contrast a bit

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by h2rra; August 22nd, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like this piece, brings alot of focus to the buildings though and not the suroundings (and maybe that's your intent )
    Anyways I like this picture alot and I can't really find any major issues with it, but I came up with some small things.
    though I would like to see some random rocks somewhere though to make the picture more interesting, also you should try to make the "enlightened rock directly below the right house more.. rocky.
    And the cliff to the "middle left" should be darker and be casting some shade on the ground on it's right.
    Also something that caught my eye is the lighting, it appears as if it's sunset then the sky should be a bit more reddish
    Oh and the fog should be left as it is =) if not stronger in some places.

Wish you the best, will return to check on an update on this picture =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matsign, I've haven't posted any work in FF, you confused me with someone

Thanks for crits everyone. I got really tired of this piece because I changed the lighting often and wasn't sure if I improved the piece or not. I also should have thought more about the concept and not just slap some random buildings in. I did turn them into small airfield though. You can see the final and some more steps in my SB. thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.