Scary first post! Tell me what you think of this WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Scary first post! Tell me what you think of this WIP

So...here I am, for the first time. I'm really excited about getting here, as well as nervous...I always wanted to but I was always so very intimidated...I don't know. I guess I never really realised what people did here. I only used to glance at the aweomse pictures everyone submitted for COW or CHOW or EOW and I always thought I had to improve too much just to make a first post like this one. But then I noticed the true spirit of this place. The very essence of improvement, the very goal every artist should follow, the immortal hopes for getting better and better each time. And so here I am, begging for someone to call out every flaw they can see. Of course, this is a work in progress, and I find this an aproppiate time to plea for professional talk.
    Well, now...hit me guys...with all you got. I'm ready!

Name:  mathew.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  72.9 KB

Oh and . Let's pretend this is Insect fight.

Last edited by ColinCano; August 22nd, 2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Bad title ortography...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi! what a hot looking boy/girl I'm not much in the way of an artist, see, so feel free to discard... buuuuuttt:

Name:  sweaterguy.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  23.0 KB

The red line is about where I think the features should be centered based on the nice squishy shape of his jaw, but the blue line is where you've actually got them. If someone could confirm this to make sure I'm not just an idiot I'd appreciate it.

Also, that guys sweater is about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, at least this week the shading is very pretty.

Thanks
    ColinCano,

I agree with FoxinShocks about the sweater. Very nicely done. Nice craftsmanship.

Keeping facial elements in alignment in a 3/4 view is always difficult. You did seem to trap yourself in a corner by making the boy's right jaw much more prominent than his left. So I came up with several ways to compensate for this, so as not to end up redrawing tons of stuff:

1. Notice how I simply filled out his left jaw. giving balance to his face.

2. You have a distinct problem with eye-spacing. Generally eyes are spaced one eye-width apart from each other. Look in the mirror, you'll see what I'm talking about. And since you were doing some kind of anime/hybrid-type character, I thought I'd include examples that even in anime, eyes are essentially one eye-space apart from each other.

(Lest anyone measures the spaces between the eyes in millimeters just to prove me wrong, stop yourself. I'm talking about the average reality. There are always exceptions to the rule, even in real life, where you occasionally see someone with eyes farther apart or nearer than they should be.)

I also enlarged the eyes (in an anime-kind of way) to balance his face out more.

3. In choosing not to fill out the boy's left jaw, in this case I shaved down the boy's right jaw. Generally, people have symmetry to their faces, whether they're fat or thin.

4. I widened his mouth slightly. Basic Face Structure 101 dictates that the corners of the mouth vertically align with the middle of the eyes on a face.

It looked as if you didn't really commit to some kind of structure for the boy's face, before you went to the finished level of your work. Even in the context of it looking like a cartoon, the face does have problems. I'm not suggesting that you must be accurate in everything you do. I'm suggesting that you simply need to 'sell' your work more, and structure goes a long way in that regard.

This is not a scary post! This is very nice. I look forward to see how this piece turns out.

Attached Images Attached Images    

AINSI is offline 「揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提 薩婆訶。」
    Thanks
    i actually really like the size of the eyes in the original, as well as their spacing-- i think enlargening them as magnut did in his corrections takes away from the character of the dude. on the other hand, i also didn't think the op drew an anime style when i looked at it originally. but who's to say. xD I DO like magnut's jaw suggestion, but even in that one the angle of the jaw doesn't seem to go back far enough before it curves to connect to the ear.

the painting looks amazing and it seems everyone's gotten me beat on critiques. :3 the hands and the hair and the sweater look great.

Thanks
    It probably would be best to have the eyes and eyebrows the same shape and size and to make the features more symmetrical if you don't want him to be too freakish looking.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    I like the original face better than the paintovers. It has character.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Elwell,

My paintovers aren't great. They were just there as quick suggestions for various other directions to go with the illustration.

Your work, however, is a pleasure to look at. I particularly enjoyed your Process Thread. You make me wish I had one-twentieth the patience and talent you have in this regard.

As quality goes, yours really doesn't suck. A lot!

Thanks
    Original Name:  mathewww.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  72.8 KB Transformed Name:  mathew.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  72.3 KB

I started to play with the jpg file I uploaded here and I think it had a problem with the perspective of the face.
    The 3/4 point of view wasn't precisely well achieved. Maybe what I need is to his right side thiner (as if the nose covered the eye), otherwise it's like having the face in full front and everything on it in 3/4. I just free transformed it a bit here, of course I'd have to paint on it on the psd file, but just asking if I should too.
    Also, I wasn't really looking for an anime-ish style But I guess if it looks like it I have to polish my style eh?
    anyways, thank you all for the advice, keep it coming!

Thanks
    Im going to be that guy and call out some issues on your sweater. At first glance I fell in love with your work on that sweater. Yet after studying it I didnt like what I saw in the turtle neck section. I dont understand what is going on in the right side. That dark blue line, is that a fold? And please clean up the bottom right corner where its bright blue, because you did an amazing job and I'd like to see it all cleaned up.
    Also, relax on the white sopts in the hair where the light is hitting it. It doesnt need a whole circle of reflections throughout the head. I would leave there only where the bangs are.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.