Sketchbook: & i'm the idiot to your poetry [[2007.08.22]]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

AINSI is offline 「揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提 薩婆訶。」 Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

& i'm the idiot to your poetry [[2007.08.22]]

it was suggested to me to create a sketchbook here by someone in the critiques forum, so here i go. 8D i can't decide on a pretentious sketchbook title, though, so it'll probably change a lot. =_=

i'm a 21 year old scad student who does comics. :3

comments and critiques are appreciated-- i'm always trying to improve.

i guess the first couple posts will be an art dump. stuff after that will probably be as i do it, though.

i like to think my style is a fusion style-- not western completely, but not really manga either. I've been pushing myself to develop something original, recently, and i think with the introduction of actual facial anatomy and character differentiation, i've kind of gotten onto something. I know a lot of people on here are manga haters, but i hope not to be discounted just because a couple dA kids got on here and got some sand in their twats about getting critiques-- i really have a desire to improve, so I hope that you'll give me the opportunity.

anyways. here's art. it's not in any order, really, but you can probably guess at some of it because my anatomy's really wobbly in my older stuff. 8D also, a couple of sequentials and pages-- i'm just throwing up anything to show what I do, really.

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Last edited by AINSI; August 22nd, 2007 at 06:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome!

This is a hell of a way to start. I love your stuff and will be visiting often. I'm a little too blown away to offer any specific critiques just yet. One thing I will say is I don't think you should worry too much about style. You've got plenty already and if you just concentrate on drawing well, your own idiosyncracies will emerge over time and you'll have a natural style that's all your own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some random stuff from classes from this past year, as well as sketches and concepts i was doing for my project HAPPINESS THEORY before I took on my current slave driver. +_+

So yeah. Another art dump. earliest i think is late 2005 ranging to early 2007, i believe. So these aren't current-- the ones in the first post are more current than these. +_+

max1975 :: thank you for looking and I'm glad you enjoyed the stuff so far! I look forward to hearing your comments-- I'll have to stop in yours. i've just been hitting CA between loooong stretches of being attatched to my desk, but when my finals are over i'll be all up on that. xDD

Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn. that is one LONG post. I gotta regurgitate something here that you're going to hear pretty often: anatomy studies. Many of your characters have flat limbs, or strange joints.

It's great to see your dedication!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet work. I really like the play of the positive and negative shapes on those black and white panels.
    Your characters have a certain angst to them that I can't quite describe, but I definitely like it. Keep it up!

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is stunning. I really like your style. Is it watercolour your using, or inks?

"Hello darkness my old friend, Ive come to speak with you again" -Simon and Garfunkle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe.. i cant take most of the themes in your pictures serious.
    too much teenage angst for my taste.
    sad emo anime figures in black and white with guns and GOSH there is red (bloodbloodblood).
    DA PAIN!

apart from that, the comic pages do show something.
    i would depart from the style your doing now, at least for half the time drawing. do master studies, life drawing.. all the evil things.. but this will give you more "words" and abilities to express yourself.
    or you could go on like this and lead a happy elfwood/da life.
    i guess there will always be a market for unhappy 14year old girl manga.
    (if you think this crit is too harsh, pm me, i´ll delete it. no need to ruin you day if you dont want words like these in your SB)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Panda :: Thank you for your suggestion. :3 I want to post my life drawing, but I do it on like. XBox sized paper. =_= I'll probably whip out my digi and snap a couple of photos.

Mephisto :: Thank you very much. xD Thanks also for stopping by here after suggesting this in the crit forum. :3

Nalot :: I do colour glacing-- where I put the ink washes down first, and then put watercolour on top of it.

andreas :: Oh, you're fine-- it's nothing that I don't say about my market. Angry 15 year old girls and the like. I think a lot of the figures that you're unhappy with, though, are prior to 2007, drifting into 2006 & 2005 (if they're like the ones in the second post, because that's where the straight up ink with EMO BLOOD is)-- whereas the comics are more recent. So i guess that's a show of something like progress, right? *laughs* Anyways, I'm intending to post my life drawing and such. I hope you'll come by to look at it. <3

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! Strange subject matter, but still great work. Really nice linework/brushstrokes and use of color with the inks and watercolors, very pleasant to look at. Your sense of composition is strong as well. I think the storytelling aspect could use some work in the comic book, I'm not real sure what's happening in some of those panels. I'd also like to see something besides anime from you. It would be interesting to see how your style translates when drawing from life.

Welcome to CA :0)

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.