Spartan Training Camp #9 - 50 gestures and Optional Still Life Exercise

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Spartan Training Camp #9 - 50 gestures and Optional Still Life Exercise

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 26th of August.

The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, zombies, goldfish in drag....and can be in any media, digi or traditional is fine.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do a still life study in any media. Black and White or Colour is fine.

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

PS...critting each other is highly encouraged!! Let's help each other get better!

Hall of Fame Spartan Camp #8

Those with a star next to their name have also completed the optional exercise!

MeTal-Mike
    HunterKiller
    Miracula
    tmyohlaing
    Anthis
    purplerose

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    I'm on it captain!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 656 Posts
    Metal-Mike; Thanks for the gradient explanation, will check out the tool.
    Thanks all for the crits last week.
    Will crit when the other soldiers report in.

Adding stillife later on, getting bit late here...

First 2 scans are poses from head, the small ones.
    Last 3 scans are done with posemaniac ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwn Annwn
    The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, zombies, goldfish in drag.
    Done

Posemaniac ref;

Last edited by Anthis; August 25th, 2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Working links

Thanks
    It appears some scans 'violated photobucket policy' and are not displayed. Not sure what this is about, but I'll host them somewhere else for the time being. Anyone had anything like this before?

Also added the stillife.

Thanks
    have you checked the size of the scans, i know that if your scans are above 200k, photobucket wont recognise them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Only one person submitted this time???
    I'm gonna on to mine now... Gotta stop doing these last minute entries... *sigh*

EDIT: Only got half way through before I become somewhat frustrated this time... Nothing from me this time 'round. Damn... pld:

Last edited by HunterKiller_; August 26th, 2007 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    have you checked the size of the scans, i know that if your scans are above 200k, photobucket wont recognise them
    They're between 30 and 50 kb each, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for telling though, didn't know 200k is the limit for photobucket. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_
    Only one person submitted this time???
    I'm gonna on to mine now... Gotta stop doing these last minute entries... *sigh*

EDIT: Only got half way through before I become somewhat frustrated this time... Nothing from me this time 'round. Damn...
    Mah, still loads of time!
    I usually spread it out over the week. Can't imagine having to do 50 at once..

Thanks
    wow I just learned about this thread, and I'm in!
    gonna challenge myself today
    10 per hour +1 still life makes for 6 hours of drawing
    hope I'm gonna make it.
    I'm gonna make the next one for sure if I fail this one.

Old sketchbook: 0shade0

Thanks
    Anthis: Nice gestures. Those you did from Posemaniac are better than the above of that. I think your still life needs a little contrast. Also think that if you can shape background, the objects would appear better.

50 gestures from Posemaniac.

And a still life.

Thanks
    phew!! just made it in time(at least I hope so)
    here's it's 23:33 atm
    50 gestures scanned poorly cause I ran out of time
    no still life. but it's a new personal record for me 50 gestures in one day.
    see you next week ^^ all

Attached Images Attached Images                                

Thanks
    tmyohlaing; Thanks, I noticed posemaniacs are better aswell, but I'm not quite confident on how to use reference. It still feels like I'm just reproducing stuff. But I guess it's the right thing for learning? The stillife definitely could use some contrast, perhaps I used a wrong pencil though, because actually remember having to press pretty hard in some of the shadows.

Your poses seem to be getting smoother at some points. A few exceptions seem off (i.e. walking person in middle of last scan), but most pretty much capture the pose. I'm just wondering, how are you using the blue pencils? I've noticed more people use blue pencils, never really got why. Got a sketchbook btw?

0shade0; I salute you for joining on the last day . Some poses seem to lack a little balance, as if they're forced. Versatile sketches, as poses themselves, and the viewpoints. I love the text and pictures btw.

My little photobucket problem has miraculously solved itself, see you next week

Last edited by Anthis; August 27th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    0shade0; I salute you for joining on the last day . Some poses seem to lack a little balance, as if they're forced. Versatile sketches, as poses themselves, and the viewpoints. I love the text and pictures btw.
    [/url]
    I'm not sure if I'm getting what you mean by forced, but I'll try to spend extra time on it next time. maybe it's the superspeed I had to work to, or something the scanner did,
    And for the text and images I can explain :p I used paper that already had something printed on the other side, and it's shining trough, what can I say, I'm one recycling bastard

thx for the crits

Thanks
    Nice work you guys! Getting ready to move into my dorm took longer than expected.

Anthis - May want to keep an eye on some of your arms; some of them look a bit "gumby."

tmyohlaing - Watch out for line placement on your backs.

Thanks
    Anthis: I think that itís part of a learning to draw from the reference. Well, the reason why I am using blue pencil is that I just wanna see the draft lines which are underneath of the contours. Some artists from animation field use blue and red pencils for different purposes. One time, I met a man when I went for the Toronto Subway Sketching Group, he told me in order to get my lines cleaner, I should use a blue pencil as first draft then go over with black pencil. Then I started using it. I havenít started a sketchbook here yet.

Thanks
    Tmyohlaing ill sometimes use a blue pencil on my sketches, mainly for the same reasons as you, the other reason why its good to use blue pencil is when your doing under drawing for anything to be reproduced for print, basicly becouse some printing methods dont actualy recognise blue pencil, so making the final print much cleaner.
    I have a question here, aimed at anyone here, actually more of an observation. i understand why people draw nudes, becouse its one of the best ways to learn to draw, but thats usualy the only case if drawing from actual life( life model) . Do you still get that same benifit from drawing nude images from the posemaniacs or any 2d image as some of these sketches are clearly from. Becouse in my personal view and i could be totaly wrong, but unless your actualy planning to paint nudes as a career, or your always going to use referance from 2d images, then isn't it better to learn to sketch clothed people, and how clothes flow on a person, after all, the majority of work if not all of the work as an artist in any field concerning the human figure will involve a human being dressed in clothes.
    Its just that i see so many artworks of human figures, and all the proportions, the hands and face are brilliantly executed, but they have totally destroid the image becouse they never focused enough on learning how to sketch a clothed person.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    Tmyohlaing ill sometimes use a blue pencil on my sketches, mainly for the same reasons as you, the other reason why its good to use blue pencil is when your doing under drawing for anything to be reproduced for print, basicly becouse some printing methods dont actualy recognise blue pencil, so making the final print much cleaner.
    I have a question here, aimed at anyone here, actually more of an observation. i understand why people draw nudes, becouse its one of the best ways to learn to draw, but thats usualy the only case if drawing from actual life( life model) . Do you still get that same benifit from drawing nude images from the posemaniacs or any 2d image as some of these sketches are clearly from. Becouse in my personal view and i could be totaly wrong, but unless your actualy planning to paint nudes as a career, or your always going to use referance from 2d images, then isn't it better to learn to sketch clothed people, and how clothes flow on a person, after all, the majority of work if not all of the work as an artist in any field concerning the human figure will involve a human being dressed in clothes.
    Its just that i see so many artworks of human figures, and all the proportions, the hands and face are brilliantly executed, but they have totally destroid the image becouse they never focused enough on learning how to sketch a clothed person.
    first learn basic anatomy, then drapes and folded cloths, then clothed people. of coarse you don't have to do it in the same order or just one at the time.
    When I draw nudes, I mostly think it's a shame that I don't know the muscles that lie underneath, and when I do study muscles I think the same about the skeleton.
    what I'm trying to say is, work your way up muscles> nudes>clothed, not the other way around. it's a bit reckless to learn how to draw stuff like clothed people if you don't understand the underlying layers.
    I get the feeling that you believe that a clothed person is something diffrent then a nude person, which isn't. it just has an extra layer.
    so, take it easy and work your way up.
    an interresting execise an artist(can't remember wich one) once said was
    to actually draw those layers one by one, and on top of each other.(works best in digital) so first the skeleton the the muscles then the skin and finally the clothes(or armor following his example)

Thanks
    0shade0; I ment they don't seem to stand by themselves, just a little off balanced now and then. Understandable though, you did em pretty fast. Np.
    purplerose; Mmm yea, seems I went a little overboard here and there. Should do some in-depth practice on arm anatomy. Thanks for pointing that out.
    tmyohlaing; Guess you're right there, slowly getting the hang of it.

About those blue lines; that's actually a pretty good idea, although I use a color printer. Will sure give it a try though.

grenogs; I do nudes because for now, I'm just trying to get the basics right, and mainly my proportions. And I think the underlying structure determines how the clothing looks as well. I'm eager to trying some clothing though , but yea, first things first.

Thanks
    oshadeo i understand what your saying, and i do agree to a certain level. but what im trying to say, is draw nude, the muscles, skeleton, etc, but don't ignore drawing clothed people. it should be a balance of a all, and not be a rule that you start here or there first in order to become a better artist. Becouse if thats true the question then comes up on how do you teach a child to draw, do you tell him/her, " start from the basics, you must draw naked people first" .
    The only reason i mentioned it is becouse, basicly theres no mention here about the sketches have to be nude, but yet thats what everyone seems to be doing, and totaly ignoring clothed figures. Sorry, im not trying to criticise, becouse i know everyone has their own particuler ways, but its almost as if everyone is taking the easy route and just doing what evers the quickest and easiest.

anthis unless your using a high end professional printing process, then you will still see the blue sketching.

Members who have read this thread: 2