Thanks

First Sculpture Ever...What is your Opinion?

This is my first sculpture ever...i don't have any art background except from 3d...i know there is a lot to correct...just wondering what you guys think about it so far...

I Really enjoyed doing it...wondering if i have what it takes...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...by the way this is done with water clay...not the best i know...but wanted to know if i liked sculpting before spending money on better clay....

Fred.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice piece. Kind of reminds me of Patrick Stewart a bit, lol.

Now, crits depend on what you are going for here. As a stylized head, it looks good and would make a lovely Halloween "Igor" type piece.
    However, if you are going for accurate anatomy, there are some problems. For example, the ears are too large and the cranial mass is too small.

Regardless, if this is your first sculpt, I think it is to be commended no matter what your intention was. Clearly you have some potential here.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    tks for the nice words....

I was aiming at a more stylized look....

The big concern i have is the material i have used...my personnal opinion is that i find that water clay is very sloppy to work with, and it is very hard to ad finer detail, like skin detail and such....

Since i am a beginner i was wondering what type of clay should i buy to be able to add finer detail...i know super sculpey is what most of you guy use...but i find it a bit expensive for a newbie like me...i dont mind paying for good material, but i think i should be a better sculptor before buying expensive clay

any other alternative??

Fred.

Thanks
    Water clay is a great medium to work in and you can get lots of detail out of it. The trick is letting it dry out a bit till it gets like leather then you can do your fine detail. You can also try firm chivant which is an oil based clay. The great thing about water and oil clays is practice. You can use them over and over, unlike sculpy once you bake it it's done. I do all my larger work (over 54mm scale) in chivant or water clay.

Garyo
    'I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horaito Alger and just sick enough to be totally confident.' - Hunter S Thompson
    http://www.greenwhiskerworks.com Have your pet immortalized!
    http://www.chiselandmold.com

Thanks
    The nice thing about the sculpey clays is that you can bake them in your home oven to make them permanent. Of course, as you said, the stuff is very expensive. Generally though, you can keep the cost down a bit by creating the bulk of your sculpture with aluminum armature wire and foil. Only use the sculpey for the outer quarter to half-inch of the sculpture. This works for some applications.

Ceramic water clays can work for details, but there is a trick to it. You have to do the bulk work when the clay is fairly wet and pliable, but you have to wait for the clay to dry out a bit to carve fine details. If you constructed your piece hollow and without armature, you can kiln-fire it for permanence. However, large solid pieces won't fire well (they tend to crack and explode) and pieces with armatures may have cracking issues as the clay shrinks.

For other types of clay such as oil-based modeling clay, you can get it in various degrees of hardness for details and such. The problem is that it is not a permanent material, and cannot be fired to make it so. Thus you have to then get into the issue of mold-making and casting to have a permanent piece. This is a whole 'nother art form unto itself, with all of the various molding and casting materials available, their correct application in making piece molds, and other considerations (like the infamous sulphur with platinum silicone problem...).
    On the up-side though, oil clays are cheap and re-useable.

Thus, if you don't care about keeping the piece around, go with oil-based modeling clay. If you care about making something that is going to last, you are going to pay a lot more for your materials, whether for directly making the sculpture or for molding and casting it later.

I hope this helps you a bit...(although it probably generated more questions than it answered, lol). Later.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Nice head

good expression and waterclay is not a bad one, depends on the feeling

So now do you know if you want to spend more? lol

bravo

keep going on