Perspective practice?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Perspective practice?

Stupid simple question, I know, but I'm frustrated and need some help...

For anatomy, we draw nudes
    for colour, we colour things from reference
    Value, values studies etc...

How does one get good at perspective? What are some things to do that will help my sense of perspective over time?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    - Draw lot's of simple freehand perspectives from imagination. Try different sizes. See how strong angles you can get in 2-point, 3-point perspectives without making the pic look unnatural. See how how to draw cube with nautural depth. It's all trial and error.

- I sometimes look at some photo to get certain sense of scale. Like for example I want to draw some not too big structure surrounding small platform. I like this view -> http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-31/...na-streets.jpg beacause it shows good distances and proportions so I analyse how those buildings affect the whole photo composition.

- Practice drawing ellipses and curves in perspective for round structures.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start with drawing rectangular objects from imagination using the construction methods taught in books on perspective. Then try drawing rectangular objects from observation (cardboard boxes, furniture, simple buildings), using those same construction methods. From there try drawing similar rectangular objects from imagination, again using the construction methods. Try inventing an object such as a piece of furniture and drawing it from multiple angles. Or another goal to set yourself would be to work up to drawing an imaginary interior space from two different viewpoints.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try drawing alot from life, life meaning anything and everything around you. you'll gain a natural sense of perspective and build up a sense of proportion, scale, composition, form, space, and design. which are all very important parts of making a picture. the other approaches are more geared toward form and how something would look in any view(which is also a good skill to have)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All good ideas, guys. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.