Sketchbook: { Humble Recordings Of a Collegiate Journyman } Updated JAN 1!!! 2008

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

{ Humble Recordings Of a Collegiate Journyman } Updated JAN 1!!! 2008

Hello all, I've been a long time observer of these boards and now with me starting school @ CCAD I figured now would be a good time to start participating in them! It's kinda surreal. Anywho, most of my stuff is traditional art/sketches so I don't have very much of it on my computer. I upload more of my recent stuff later when I find the time to laboriously scan in all of my images of take pictures of them all. Until then enjoy.

Oh and...Crush me with your words!!!!!
    C&C's welcome always.

{ Humble Recordings Of a Collegiate Journyman } Updated JAN 1!!! 2008
    Two of the images are by AndrewLey that I did paint overs of for digital practice
    There is also a compilation of paintings I've done on lips. The Top & Red lips I used reference on a second moniter and tried to match them as close as possible. The third set is a quick mock up I did for practice.

Bottom two are a huge image I've been working on one and off for a year (I know I know lazy). I keep running into design issues and I can't make up my mind. Actual image size is 9x24inches 300dpi...File size 340mb..Takes forever just to open the image :/

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by VenustusVis; December 31st, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a bunch of old/oddball quick sketches I've done. Oddly enough though I couldn't find one of my sketchbooks that is completley full nor could I find the drawings I brought to the porfolio review I had. I'm not sure where they are, but I think I threw them in a big pile of stuff (I'm my furniture around and get a new drawing table). So when I'm done moving stuff I'll post them if I find them. But here's all I got for now.

The one crazy sketch in ball point pen was a mock up for my freshman self-portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what CCAD is, but I'm digging a lot of the more creative and colorful stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thannx smegma. CCAd is Columbus College of Art & Design. It's suppose to be one of the better art schools in Ohio.

Anywho here's a semi-quick robot study
    approx. 30min?

Last edited by VenustusVis; August 22nd, 2007 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there! Awesome feet/hand studies. Where did you get the blue clothing fold studies from? I learned a lot by just looking at those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx. The cloth studies I got from several places. Some of them are from Burne Hogarth's - Dynamic Wrinkles & Drapery, Geroge Bridgemans Drapery Book & others are from Drawing Dynamic Comics by Andy Smith. Bridgeman & Smith's books you could find @ a library, but I'm not sure about Hogarths stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool stuff. Lots of really in depth studies, but I'm not seeing much in terms of faces.

Keep up the good work, though.

>>>CLICK HERE AND CLAIM YOUR FREE* IPOD<<<

*there is no ipod, actually. sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, i love on how you do those shinny reflects ! Awesome work !

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    StarbonesCoffin - Thanx. I just copied an image I found @ corbis.com I don't remember what I typed to find it but i'm sure if you type lips you'll find it.

http://cachens.corbis.com/CorbisImag...2-15473560.jpg
    Here's the link to one of the images I painted.

ChocoNumNum - Yeah most of my face studies are in the sketchbook that is yet to be found. I'll post them when I find them.

On that note here's my freshman self-portrait for CCAD. It's my first time ever using markers so it was very experimental and I think It looks alittle off on the computer. The real copy is more vibrant and uniform. Also I got kinda lazy towards the end. meh :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic SB! Your studies show a lot of understanding and learning. I recognize some of the studies from the Hogarth's folds and wrinkles book. If you keep up this kind of commitment you'll be pro in no time.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh what an unfortunate image of the past.

Please note this was done with a mouse and it was done before I knew what a sphere looked like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch night - Sketches

It's been awhile since I've had time to update or draw for that matter, but here's more or less what I've been up to @ weekly sketch night.

edit: due to the fact that most of the images I uploaded in this post were unseeable I am re-uploading them in another post below

Last edited by VenustusVis; December 19th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's been awhile since I've updated this thread and there's a decent amount of stuff I have to scan in and I will when I build up the urge to go threw all my junk, but until then here are two peices. I might end up rescanning alot of my stuff since I've noticed that alot of it's barely even visable.

1st peice is for a 2d class
    2nd piece I did just a bit ago as a quick 15 min study...apparently I'm in a rut for making dead people because that's the second one I've done this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the images from the previous post + some other stuff

There's a picture of my room in it's current state somewhere in the...I've been moving a bunch of stuff around waiting for my new bed and for now I just have crap everywhere.

The things on the table where projects I did for 3D design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting, I enjoy the folds and clothing studies

Davio
    Check out my sketchbook here
    Critiques are much appreciated
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113616

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has to be the longest page on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff...The paintings are from school with the exception of the precious moments one...
    That's going to be a gift for my parents this christmas (mom loves precious moements). It's probably about 50% done I just finished blocking in the main shapes last night. It's on an 8x10 canvas so I really want to get detailed with it. It's like they say "small canvases are precious," right? get it? punny .
    Anywho the drawings are just some bridgeman studies I've done today. I found that my eye hand coordination was off alot and usually when that happens a quick fix is just draw bridgemans stuff.
    I plan on doing some quilt/drapery studies later on today I'll probably post them tonight since everyones so fond of them (me included )

I aplogoize for the crappy quality of images I had to sharpen some of them in photoshop because when I took them the were blurry..oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some drapery studies and decided I need to focus on drawing the human figure more...that and if I did 1 more study of fabric I would shoot myself!

so instead I got on the computer and started a face painting. I used ref , but I didn't copy the colors nor did I overlay it in photoshop (else what would be the point?). It's maybe 40$ done?
    10 points to anyone that can guess who she is .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update on the previous face painting + another one that I've started (I gotta kinda bored doing the 1st one). I'm also working on another one but it's been really hard to get the colors in the face right which is why I won't post it yet or say whom it is. I think it may be partly because I chose a dark bg for the painting and the actual image has the face on a rather light bg.

As far as digital painting goes thus far I've come to the conclusion that it's best to sketch out the contours of what your painting then fill it in with a base color and scribble in a bunch of colors on top of it until they look right, then get a big brush (it doesn't even have to be a soft edged brush) and blend them all together and finally get smaller brushes and throw a bunch of details on it. That's pretty much been my process thus far.

I use to just blob in a bunch of paint and then try and blend everything from the beginning (you may be able to tell that in my armor painting) and I find that for me that's just a big waste of time. It's much more efficient to get the colors/values right then blend.

I'll do a recorded demo if anyone wants me too, though I'm still rather new to the process myself and I'm sure their are plenty of good demos on the same process out there right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bad wolf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a bunch of sketches I did at my cousins wedding reception as well as the quite moments during the family christmas gathering (I know, shame on me :/)

I really want to focus my studies on hips and muscle groups in that region, because for some reason without reference I always draw it way wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the process so far of a referenced digital painting I'm working on to help me understand hips and skin color/value a bit better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the actual size of the painting abit more along the way + the ref image (picture taken by roge on deviantart).

When I choose the colors I try and pick them as close as I can without just picking them from the picture itself. Though it doesn't result it an exact duplicate of the image it is better for learning (imo).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A LOT of studies i see.

i especially like post #13 with the bear! haha

keep on working on those figures, are you taking any figure drawing classes? if you are apply your knowlegde! gogogogo

save me with your crits!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah thanx toaster. I didn't take an figure drawing classes last semester, but this upcoming one I get to draw and paint nudies!!! I'm excited for it

here's an update on the painting. I was going to just blend everything with a brush like usual but I decided to try out the smudge tool this time and it actually gave pretty decent results, but I still have to go back in with a sharp brush to refine edges.

god I hope this goes to page #2...it takes forever for all my crap to load!! ahhhh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about an hours worth of fixing and such...I'm having a really tuff time with the legs and having the painting looking completely uniform...It's like some parts of it are painterly and others are photoreal blends...Anyone having any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty much the finished version of one of the face paintings...I decided to try the smudge tool here as well and it did as expected...blended the hell out of everything. I'm going to do another version and see if I can get the smudge tool to give a more painterly/textured look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah woah! lots of improvement on the girl figure and face. haha that smudge tool came in handy! HMMM do you have a tablet? keep working on that skin tone!! i think you need slight yellows and reds!

save me with your crits!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to toastertoaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx toaster haha. yeah I have a tablet. I would never paint digitally without one. Painting with a mouse is just asking for carpal tunnel.

Ironically I started fiddling around with that face image before I read your post. I was testing the limits of the smudge/liquifiy/burn/dodge tools (I know I know they're frowned upon. I usually don't use them, but I was tinkering in this instance to see what benefits can come from them).

I was amazed at the results I got actually. I didn't realized how flat my face painting looked until I started upping the highlights.

Here's the tinkered face + the ref I used for it (I kinda departed from the refernce for the last little bit) + another body painting I started & it's ref...I think on the new body painting I used the smudge tool way to soon. Alot of colors weren't in the right spots yet so when I blended them it didn't produce very good results.( ref image is by ABrito on devart)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too much airbrushiness!!! Ahhh!!!
    just trying out dif rendering techniques with ps's default brushes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.