EOW#63 Dark Faerie Ghetto
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Where the fae come out to Plae..
    Thanks to Form for the Topic

Description required
    I will accept any medium.
    Now... concept!

Due August 28th

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

RAM! is offline Red Armada Mercenary! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unusual topic me likey

COMRADES! COME AND TAKE PART TO THE RISE OF THE RED ARMADA BY VISITING MY SKETCHBOOK!

--\(sb) (sb)/--

|Visit the Octopuppies| Addiso - Deadred - John - Ram! - Squidmonk3j - Texahol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, had my problems to understand the topic, but I hope i understand it by now. So it is a Ghetto where fairys live? Am I right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acapulco: According to dictionary.com a ghetto is a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.
    The word was originally applied especially to the places where jewish and african american minorities live, but I think nowadays it's colloquially applied to pretty much any "shady" part of town.
    Your interpretation is correct, and I think there is also some room for alternate interpretations.

Last edited by carotello; August 20th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, okay, I knew what a Ghetto is, same word here in german, (don't know where you come from). I had my problems with the word 'faerie'. I just know the word like fairy, but I do think it's the same. My dictionairy told me so!

I'm in, do like the topic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Really?

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So basically fairy's ghetto is the place where gay people hang out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Red face help

I didn't understand topic, what is faerie??,
    and second ( to Chaosrocks), for eow 62 you told me to:"attached please outside host
    ", how, where?

Thanks

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm not a fan of this topic, but I'm gonna try it anyway.

Since people are having and are bound to have more questions, Faeries are basically the same concept as "Fairies" (yes, those, the tiny people with wings and dust and crap like that, also NOT gay), except in Scotland and northern europe and many other places they can resemble a variety of creatures.

There're a ton of faerie creature types, ranging from shriveled smurf-like creatures, to goat-headed faeries, to water numphs that swim around and entice mortals into drowning. Not to mention goblins, giants, little balls of light and yes, the flying ones. The Dark ones are usually pretty nasty looking, but some are shape shifters and can be beautiful, enough to lure you into something horrible.

I'd suggest looking at anything done by Brian Froud, who has made quite the living out of illustrating these things. There are also a bunch of lists on the internets of Faerie creatures.

As for Ghettos... well... ask whoever thought up this topic. "Where the fae come to plae"?

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Corrick-
    Fairy
    Fairy is a derogatory slang expression for an effeminate man or homosexual.
    -The probert Encyclopedia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah!... yes, I know. Thanks.

Manuel_Calavera is offline And my ashes find a way beyond the fog And return to save the child that I forgot Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it something like Peter Pan's Tinker Bell but nasty.
    It's not really importat how those faeries-things looks like because we have to make their ghetto...
    I thought those beasts live in the woods - one of them bit my ass month ago but it could be dragonfly as well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, but Manuel, I'd be hard pressed to imagine a ghetto populated by smiling, happy creatures. As environmental designers, we have to take into account the environment's inhabitants as well. They affect it as much as anything else.

You should have that bite checked... might get infected.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok ok I'll help a little ..maybe
    the reason I spelled Faerie that way is to encourage you to think beyond tinkerbell
    The Fae or sidhe are magic related, and quite nasty at times
    I would reccommend the works of Charles De Lint, or Kenneth Flint, the tale of Tamlin in its many forms and the novels of Laurel hamilton (no tthe vampire ones)

they tend to live in hills
    but what if a city expanded to include a faerie howe? (hill)
    how would they adapt? what drugs are fae susceptable too? how would they behave..? and if they were sequestered in to a ghetto, I always think of the jewish ghetto in venice (shylock in the Merchant of venice) or Crystalnacht. Ghetto was not originally a dump or bad place except that any separation of race will yeild conflict.
    so more questions: why are the Magical peoples being separated from the rest of society? How? is there a curfew?
    personally I like to know how everythign works when I build and environment, incliuding walls and plumbing.

just throwing stuff out there

I am hoping people won't take grim's option, its nasty in ways I don't really want to think about. Grim you need to read more Fantasy novels

chaos

Last edited by chaosrocks; August 20th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The topic sounds like a intended contrast to me.
    Faeries (or Fairys) are nice, beautiful little flying magic creatures.
    A Ghetto is a dirty, poor, dark place.
    That´s at least what you think of first when you here those words.
    Those two worlds don´t seem to belong to each other, thats what this contrast is ....and thats also where the challenge lies.

Connect these two opposite worlds!

Now... concept! (sry chaos^^...)

Manuel_Calavera is offline And my ashes find a way beyond the fog And return to save the child that I forgot Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post

I am hoping people won't take grim's option, its nasty in ways I don't really want to think about. Grim you need to read more Fantasy novels

chaos
    And you should read more Terry Pratchet and watch more Monty Python and remeber - Grim lives in the country that invented cynism

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Manny... I have read HUGE amounts of Terry Prachett, and probably seen all the Monty Python that exists. So mix a little Magic in the cynicism.... could work.....you never know
    Vyse I love your enthusiaism, I also liked the idea of Tinkerbell only nasty... um if you read the book Tink is a bitch.

chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, faeries are very sweet... like Redcaps... that like to cut off people's heads. This one's actually starting to sound better by the minute.

Sweet faeries... heh... yeah...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow tough theme, got to follow this one.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who first said fairies are nice?, only in childrens books and anything by disney are they nice, but in most stories, their nasty little bast**ds that always have their own way. Its like saying all Orks are war like and evil,(same things were said about native american indians) but if you read any books from the Orks point of view, you realise that they only made war against humans, becouse humans were expanding their bounderies and overtaking their magical ancestrial worlds.
    mmm... food for thought, i wasnt planning to enter this one, looked like to much work but after reading everything above, and thinking more about the possibilities of this, it could turn out to be realy good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys. I thought I would try doing an environment, so I figured I may as well try the latest E.O.W!

My monitor is not the greatest, so hopefully the colors don't turn out too washed out or too dark. Let me know how it looks. And please, I'd love lots of feedback on this as I rarely do backgrounds. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, this is a topic!

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wondering monk try to give it more depth, at the moment your detail and colours of the foreground and background look very similer. Also, and this maybe due to your monitor, but your image has a faded looks and flat, try to make your darks darker and your light areas lighter. You may just need to adjust your contrast/brightness controls either on your monitor or on your software.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps it is time to try this EOW-stuff out. Interesting topic. At first I read "Grotto" though. Ghetto makes it sort of mundane... but with some fairy-dust blown in, I suppose it could get interesting...
    Be gentle folks - I'm new to environments.... anyway, it is time to invoke some power: Gay fairies - come hither!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the first WIP of my interpretation. Just slamming stuff in, it's still really rough obviously, some stuff is still just glazed pencil scan. I also just dropped in the neon sign, so no lighting effects from it yet.

Also still planning to populate it, but I have graffiti, a drive by, and a drug deal ready for faries. Feedback is welcome, any idea what I should make some of the other building be?

*UPDATE*

Worked on it a bit more, but I am kind of hitting a wall, and I don't know if I am gonna bother to finish this. I almost want to start over, guess we'll see.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by K-bot; August 24th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buhlerks- Crap! I had a similiar idea with the strip club signage, but mine's gonna be more in a Warcraft style, so it won't be neon. Nice setup though, looks pretty seedy to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool topic, got my wip thoughts welcome.
    be done by tommorow afternoon.
    cheers
    -alti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it better in the second version, so it might revert back and start from halfway.
    -alti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool topic!

This is probably biting off more than I can chew but I really want to try this one! Putting this post here to obligate myself to participate every time I check back on this thread!

First you jump off the cliff and you build wings on the way down.
    --Ray Bradbury
    http://urchinator.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.