Art: Few questions regarding oils.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Few questions regarding oils.

I've got $250 USD and have nothing to spend it on, and I believe I'd like to get into painting. So before I run over to Dick Blick and order my supplies, I've got a few questions regarding the medium.

1.) I'm absolutely clueless about surfaces. The only surface I really know of are just the canvases you buy. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about these. Then I hear about different types of paper, illustration boards, etc. Then I read on about "gessoing" and applying "acrylic medium," and I'm just lost. As far as actual surfaces go, I know it's a matter of choice, but could anyone give me a run down of what is looked at as some of the best surfaces, and the differences/advantages/disadvantages between them?

Furthermore, what is all of that stuff about? Priming, applying gesso and acrylic medium, stretching paper, etc.

2.) If you could list a few brands of oil paints you think are quality, I'd appreciate it. Same goes with brushes (I don't know what type of brush I should get as far as hair and shapes are concerned).

3.) What's the purpose of oils (such as linseed). To change the consistency of the paint I'm assuming?

I'd also appreciate it if you could list any books/websites that I would find useful. I've never touched paint despite watercolor in the third grade.

The first question is the main one I'd like to know about. I have no clue what stuff to buy to actually paint on lol

Thanks a lot,
    Adam

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling's Big Oil Painting Thread has links to a bunch of info.
    And even though she's done a lot of the work for you, the handy dandy search tool is still your friend.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I knew someone was going to say that, I shoulda made a comment about that, sorry. I actually did try the search function but everything I type in says that there aren't any results.

I've also read through her thread. The topics I've read through that were linked there are actually where my questions come from (at least question number one).

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The answers to your questions are all either in that thread or in ones linked from it.
    If you still need further clarification, you're better off asking in an existing thread rather than starting a new one because (a)people won't just direct you to that thread, (b)people don't have to repeat themselves, and can concentrate on clarification, and (c) it keeps things neater for the next time someone asks a similar question.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Tristan says, there are loads of info in the Fine arts section, especially in the stickies, alot of talented people are sharing their methods ect. William Whitakers threads are also gold. Best of luck!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen Seedlings Oil painting thread and a lot of other "How to with Oils" Threads like the William Whitaker threads, but actually the only one I see stickied up there that has to do with oils is "The Uses of Underpaintings"
    And I don't see the link to the Oil thread in Seedlings Signature in her Concept Art 101 thread either. How would some one find these if the search option isn't working for them?

Emotive - Try searching simple, like just search for "Oil" and select, search for thread titles only, that way you can get all the threads where people have Oil in the Titles, i'm sure they have some info about painting with Oils in those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe View Post
    Emotive - Try searching simple, like just search for "Oil" and select, search for thread titles only, that way you can get all the threads where people have Oil in the Titles, i'm sure they have some info about painting with Oils in those.
    "Oil" is actually the only word I did type in. I'm not sure what's wrong, but the search function doesn't seem to want to work for me regardless of what I type/conditions I use. Just tells me it didn't find anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im talking about ALL the stickies there, they are choc full or invaluable info and experience being exchanged. Life painting, nude fig from the mind etc ,all of them are filled with pages and pages.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out this link for a list of beginner's supplies:

http://emptyeasel.com/2007/08/17/a-c...painter-needs/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Emotive View Post
    "Oil" is actually the only word I did type in. I'm not sure what's wrong, but the search function doesn't seem to want to work for me regardless of what I type/conditions I use. Just tells me it didn't find anything.
    The search has been playing up for me too lately, I assume it's down to the site rebuilding that's going on.

I'd also appreciate it if you could list any books/websites that I would find useful.
    http://forums.studioproducts.com/index.php
    More oil painting related articles and discussion than you'll ever have time to read. Working search feature too.

As far as books go, I'd suggest this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Painting-Techn...7628976&sr=8-1
    It's heavy reading in places and the illustrations are pretty crappy but it's still a great read.
    Also, if you haven't already, grab the Loomis books that are floating about here..They're not painting specific books but Creative Illustration at least is a must read.
    http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn it Flake... not another forum... When the hell will I have time to paint?!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.