Satan at the Gates of Hell
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Satan at the Gates of Hell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Satan at the Gates of Hell

This painting came up out of necessity for a book cover I'm working on. It had started out in the sketch with three figures, but as I continue to work on it I feel that adding the additional two characters will mess up the balance. I've listed two versions below. One has the beginnings of the second character in the scene. I'd appreciate some thoughts and any other general comments in regards to it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mrbo18; August 19th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I edited your thread so your images show up.
    We prefer people post the actual images in the thread, rather than just links.
    It makes it a lot easier for people to see and comment on your work.

Just use the IMG tags or click on the yellow square button with mountains on it.
    Or you can upload your images to the forums directly using the attachment feature (the button that looks like a paperclip).

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much for the assistance emily g.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I know what Satan looks like, but the being in your painting is looking like a common devil-type creature, not something befitting the name. Just my opinion.
    But in regard to anatomy, the torso seems to be twisting a different way from the shoulders and arms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Satan is either a Angel looking character or a dragon like described in revelations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jubjubjedi View Post
    Not that I know what Satan looks like, but the being in your painting is looking like a common devil-type creature, not something befitting the name. Just my opinion.
    But in regard to anatomy, the torso seems to be twisting a different way from the shoulders and arms.

Yeah it's pretty tame from a creature design standpoint. I kept it fairly plain to reflect the book and it's probable audience while trying to stay with a easily recognizable figure. I actually think it looks too much like it's a comic cover right now, but I don't have the time to start over necessarily. Thanks for the feedback though. In regards to the anatomy: The creatures right arm has always bothered me. The way it pulls over the chest seems to make it appear deeper than what it should. Something doesn't seem to be overlapping quite right. The main thing though is the overall layout, do you feel that it will be too crowded with multiple figures?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should make the horns the same colour, looked at first like he has a tufty mohawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I thought the devil's right arm was alright, you might be able to fix what you said about it with some highlights...its the left arm that I thought was incorrect...the upper part of the arm is too short..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by capt underoo View Post
    Actually, I thought the devil's right arm was alright, you might be able to fix what you said about it with some highlights...its the left arm that I thought was incorrect...the upper part of the arm is too short..
    You know I think you're right. It does seem short. I'm going to get to work on this a little more today and I'll try to correct that as well as play with the highlights on the other arm. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Satan's arm seem short because of inconsistencies in depth and foreshortening. When we look at his right arm (our left) it looks like your trying to foreshorten it, but everyhing else says that the stick is held close to his body, since the stick itself is not foreshortened and his other arm isn't projecting foreward. My advice for that arm is shift it so we are looking at it more laterally, and place the hand farther down the shaft.

The skeleton I actually like, but just on it's own. You're right that it would totally screw with the comp, at least how it is now....

Not only is he SCREAMINGLY bright, but he's kinda frumpy. Looks like he's saying "hey satan... how was your weekend?.... ya? Oh, mine was alright I guess.." now, if he was moving dynamically like satan was, in conjunction with the established motion, it might work (and be stronger for it)

Here's a VERY crappy paintover (at work, using a mouse ) just trying to show an idea for the general shape for le skelette (assuming these guys dont like each other, of course);

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regard to his arms, the biceps of his right arm (our left) look to be really close to the torso and pointing downward, while his forearm is pointing toward the viewer. His right pectoral (our left), looks to be facing the skeleton while it should be compressed toward his chest due to the extreme position of his shoulder/right arm (our left). Also, the torso seems to short... from the top of his head to the midpoint of his body, which is the crotch, it should be four heads tall. It looks about 3, 3.5 right now. Also, you should check the musculature of his body, legs especially, I think it is a bit off as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went in today and did some quick work to it. Mainly trying to adjust the position of the one arm. It probably need altered even more, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another point, he should be looking at the same point where his trident is aiming.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.