Thread: life an' stuff an' that 28.08.12

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

life an' stuff an' that 28.08.12

GO STRAIGHT TO PAGE 11 - DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT £200

Ello all,

First post here, tho i've been loitering for a stupidly long time without posting, or even registering...

in that time i've been spending some time adding odds and sods to my portfolio and here are the results...

Hopefully gonna be updating this on a regular basis as i need to get more cool stuff to show prospective employers.

Always looking for advice and crits - getting a new perspective on stuff is something i'm missing and could really do with to improve my work - so any cool ideas or massive anatomical errors that i cant see, let me know.

cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by strybjorn; August 28th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi and welcome to the sb section ur stuffs looking top so far, esp those pencils, very nice fluid lines. now u just have to keep posting and great things will happen. im watching. c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start!!Your rendering is very good!!There is a lack of personality in your characters.

Good work!!Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after wrestling with photobucket for the best part of an hour, finally managed to upload some stuff that ive sketched over the past couple of days...

some random bio-hazard types, a boring demon stereotype thing, and some strange bionic-beard guy

same deal as before - crits are greatly welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketches you make it look easy

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some nice renderings in both digital and pencil. The only thing is that they look a tiny bit stiff in their pose. Some gesture drawings should loosen that up.

Its not too bad but sometimes you lose the momentum in these pieces. For example, the guy running and shooting, I know that he's moving but his face and his pose aren't quite as dynamic as they could be. You could make it look like hes yelling or huffing for the face and for the pose you could have him more in a mid run kind of thing. The leg toward us, the foot could be shown almost coming down onto the surface. Things like that.

Sorry for the mouth full. I'm not saying you have to do it like that, but I'm just suggesting ways to make it look more dynamic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very strong drapery going on here - very nice! It feels like the folds have an outstanding sense of volume.

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the responses fellas

Kicek cheers mate - seeing your how your sketch book has developed over all thos pages gives me a warm, fuzzy - makes me hopeful for the progress of my own sketchbook (should i ever make it to 10 pages)

Camara ta for the crit - you're exactly right about the lack of personality - ive spent so long working on my technique i forgot all about all the cool ideas! its something i will definately be working on...

Enydimon cheers - you have a very good point...i think ive got too many pre-conceptions about what concept art is so i just default to making a standing 3/4 character...i think i need to be work a bit harder on interesting, characterful poses...

softocean cheers man - theres still a lot of guesswork going into the cloth textures...doing some more from life should help...

well here's some more stuff from last week - the benefits of having a weekend + bank holiday and a life drawing class...

update of an older piece of work (as seen on post 1) some 40k related stuff, lifedrawing (not gestural tho - will do some more gestural this week) and a quick sketch thats a bit looser than normal.

crits are consumed and devoured to make me better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet stuff man. The 40k stuff rocks

British hack at your service ma'am

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103756

SKETCH BOOK ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your sb deserves more attention.
    some really sweet pics here,
    really love the 40k stuff though the black templar's(servitor?)boots dont fit in with him,they seem alittle too necromunda.
    i really like the faces though.
    post more please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BurntUmber cheers man

The Curehead cheers mate - much appreciated! yeah, i was intended him to be just an Inquisitorial henchman so i could play a bit hard and fast with his look - tho to be honest i agree with you that the boots dont really look 40kish enough - i guess this proves that i need to be a little more focussed on the whole design...

and for today, heres some more life drawing - tried to be a little looser (cheers Enydimon) and it felt gud - hopefully ill be able to translate it over into all my other drawings

any suggestions? i lvoes the crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm really impressed! great pencil sketches i'd love to see much more from you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you totally inspired me to draw an inquisitor. Check out my sketch book.

British hack at your service ma'am

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103756

SKETCH BOOK ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick one today as im just about to head of on a much need holiday - hopefully ill have loads of lovely holiday sketches to show you all

crit away! see you all next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook bro! That space marine is kicking ass, as well as the imperial guard bastion environment. Keep it up!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right, back off my holiday now. rather predictably i didnt get too much sketching done for one reason or another (partly due to sight seeing and partly due to being ill the entire time )

however i do at least have something to show for my time off other than a much less stressed demeanor and tissues full of mucus

monna-giovanna, GriNGoLoCo cheers for the voices of encouragement

crits are gratefully recieved as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoy how you've combined ancient symbolism with sci-fi characters. I love that stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it really suck to be ill on a holiday , hope your all’ right now.
    Your art show some nice lines, nice anatomy, nice designs! You have got the basis down now try to go out from the usual stereotypical stuff. You have the skills, have fun with'em.
    And your pencils could use some more contrast.

My sketchbook
    I am not retarded, I just have a poor English.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LauraD cheers - i really dig sci-fi w/ fantasy stylings too

ztazen thanks for your crits man - i agree with what your saying 100%, i really need to start getting more creative and remember exactly why it was that started to draw in the first place...ive started thinking about some interesting ideas, and just need to commit them to paper now!

oh yeah and i completely intend to get in and comment on your sketchbooks - ive been a bit crap with that stuff recently - hopefully tomorrow morning

all the new stuff ive got at the moment is some more life drawing - should have some cool, interesting stuff for show later on in the week so stay tuned!

same deal as before with crits - crits are gud

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man great updates,figures are fantastic.
    your art is really inspiring
    you dont draw eldar by any chance?(man they are fun to draw)
    check out my sb if you get a chance,id love some crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great stuff. They all look fantastic as they are, but could also be developed into really polished pieces if you continue with them(especially the 40k stuff).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, ive been pretty shit on replying to other peoples sketchbooks so apologies straight away with that - im definately going do some criting and replying by the end of the week - and if i dont you have my permission to hit me

also, i still havent done much that is really that interesting - again something ill definately be working on...

The Curehead cheers mate - glad im inspiring someone even tho im feeling totally uninspired myself tbh, i havent really drawn any eldar....dunno why - i guess they just dont get me as excited as the more gothic stuff from 40k - ill defo be heading to your sketchbook man, im slow but i get there in the end

AnthonyFoti thanks man - your right they could definately be taken further...i just seem to get to a point and find it difficult to devote any more time to them...i should really try and spend a lot more time on at least 1 piece and see how good i can get it looking....man, so much to do but so little time

right, new stuff: more life drawing stuff - the model didnt turn up so we just did head work. i was sat right underneath the models so it gave me a chance to really try some x-treme foreshortening - tuff, but good

erm, also some stuff that one of the 3d artists at work needed to make some models from - just some football related guys - a photographer, manager and steward...have to wait and see if he actually makes the models now...

lastly, some random quick scribbles i did in some spare moments at work - i was having a play with making custom brushes and thought id experiment... i found them quite liberating to do, so i may try doing more stuff like this maybe

you know the deal - crits are welcomed with open arms

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    juat a quick one tonite - thought id try and hammer out some properly constructed heads - ive become a bit too lazy with just quickly sketching out heads without understanding them 3dimensionally and could do with understanding the underlying structure a bit better...

crits are welcome

more to come after the w/end hopefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, excellent work you've got here! I really love your life drawings, the line weight is just perfect and you've included all the interesting details of the figure. Great stuff. From what I can see your rendering is your weakest point. Not that its bad, just not that strong sometimes... most of your no-ref pictures have this slightly bland front on lighting that shows every little detail but doesn't really enhance the mood at all.

Keep up the good work Show me more pretty naked people plz.

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apologies for not updating my sketchbook in a couple of weeks - ive been trying to find a new house to rent which has been....problematic, as well as having a really lovely bout of food poisoning and was vomiting up all sorts of nice things

so, yeah, better now and looking forward to drawing more again - the enforced hiatus has really focussed my mind a bit more as i was getting really stale with doing the same old crap - i really recommend it when you feel you arent getting anywhere no matter how much work you put in!

having said that, the heads arent that interesting as they were done before the puke came - this weeks chows the first thing ive done since then tho - gotta colour it tonite/tomorrow - nuttin like a good deadline....pld:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i didnt make the deadline for the chow - which is bad... tho it is nearly done, which is better i guess - ill post it up here in the next day or so (once ive applied the finishing touches)

in the meantime, heres some stuff i did at work, when i should have been doing something more constructive...

ones just a doodle of some smoking pipes....im not sure why, but i must have thought it was a good idea at the time.

the other is some footballers through the ages - fun to do tho ultimately i dont think they will ever be used for anything...which is why ive waited a while before posting them up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the runnin' space marine looks good man...and the football players r great...very nice one...keep it up!

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FoxinShocks cheers man - yeah, my forms and lighting are quite weak and its something im focussing on a bit more in my life drawing sessions - hopefully ill be able to show some of them in the near future...

Dan Valkar thanks mate

well, ive finally finished the chow i set about doing - about a week too late and completely bottling out of the female aspect of it - so pretty much a failure on all counts

however its the most 'finished' thing ive done and im glad i didnt just throw it into the chow poll half finished as i was seriously considering

still a lot of things i would change, but i reckon its better to fix those on my next piece rather than overly dwell on this one - any feedback or crits on what to fix for next time are greatly welcomed, ill bet some of you will spot stuff i aint even considered

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick post before i go to bed...

heres some random sketches from my head and mind that i did whilst i was watching telly.

more stuff later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, its been a while since i last posted any stuff (a month! lame) but ive now moved into a house with a studio space, so hopefully ill be producing a bit more soon (but then, i always say that... slack)

but yeah, heres a couple of things ive kinda been fiddling with in the interim...no explainations, just stuff.

crits are welcomed...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.