Should I Get a Graphic Tablet or Laptop Tablet? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I Get a Graphic Tablet or Laptop Tablet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDirtbag View Post
    congrats on your purchase, glad you found some useful information among my rambling. : )

RAM is what first comes to my mind. 2GB are the absolute minimum, that's why I'll upgrade to 3GB once my TabletPC arrives.
    More than 3GB is unnecessary unless you upgrade to Vista64,
    AAARGGGH!! You mean this is still a 32 bit operating system?

When does this "Vista 64" come out?

I went with Excalibur's 3 gig upgrade. I wondered why they didn't have a 4 gig deal - now I know.

There's also a page (just to name one among many) that deals with Vista tweaks: http://www.tweakvista.com/VistaPerformanceTweaks.aspx
    Thanks, I'll go through that.

Have you tried the enhanced TablePC driver from wacom?
    I had it installed, but the problem seems to have gone away, for no reason I can explain. I think Vista is phuckin' with my head.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
    AAARGGGH!! You mean this is still a 32 bit operating system?
    When does this "Vista 64" come out?
    I went with Excalibur's 3 gig upgrade. I wondered why they didn't have a 4 gig deal - now I know.
    Yes, the regular Vista that is being sold with computers and Laptops right now is the 32bit version, because it is the most compatible one with old software.

Vista 64 is already out, here for example.
    If you want to buy it, I'd get the "system builders option OEM" version.
    That one was originally produced for computer resellers to bundle with their systems and comes without the microsoft hotline support (which is useless anyway) and it can only be installed on one computer (you can't transfer it to another one, when this one dies), but it is significantly cheaper than the regular customers version of Vista.

Thanks, I'll go through that.
    Another thing, do you work with that system the way it came or did you make a clean install yet?
    That means wiping the entire HDD and reinstalling the OS without all that useless bloatware it comes pre-installed with.

I had it installed, but the problem seems to have gone away, for no reason I can explain. I think Vista is phuckin' with my head.
    You mean that it works now with that "feather touch response" that you wanted?

Last edited by SgtDirtbag; December 1st, 2007 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thing, do you work with that system the way it came or did you make a clean install yet?
    That means wiping the entire HDD and reinstalling the OS without all that useless bloatware it comes pre-installed with.
    I'm working with what it came with.

How would I reinstall Vista without a cd to install it from (none was sent). Wouldn't the system recovery stuff just put all the bloatware back on?

You mean that it works now with that "feather touch response" that you wanted?
    Yeah, it's good now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How would I reinstall Vista without a cd to install it from (none was sent).
    Any Vista DVD* would work, so you could either borror one from a friend, ask Asus if they can send you one or buy an Upgrade DVD from CompUSA.

*= Every Vista DVD contains all Vista versions, your product key determines which one you can install.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $5? What am I buying? Vista can't be going for $5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $5? What am I buying? Vista can't be going for $5.
    This is just an installation DVD with all Vista versions on it, but it comes without a license.

This is exactly for people like you, who already have a license, but no installation DVD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. I learned something new today

What does it do, read the existing license off the computer? Or do I have a license number sitting around I don't know about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh. I learned something new today

What does it do, read the existing license off the computer? Or do I have a license number sitting around I don't know about?
    Yeah, there is a license number sitting around that you don't know about, otherwise your system would constantly bug you to activate it. ; )

Have a look at this thread, it shows the complete clean install process done on a Lenovo machine, it's very detailed and good to follow.
    --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...=clean+install

Step3 is where you extract your current license number from your system on to a USB drive for later use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, don't have any examples like that at hand. : /
    Ah, alright.

Hehe, don't ask me. They are not even significantly cheaper than those with wacom technology.
    XD

I think it would take the pressure of big studios and high-profile individuals like those you've named to make a difference.
    I doubt we'd get enough votes with just a signature link, but who knows...
    Yeah, let's get one out there and give it a go. I expect it'll take a few years, but let's start a topic here on the Lounge and over at TabletPC Review. I won't be able to start that for a little while, but I'll get around to it.

Btw, I finally placed my order. :D
    X61T | SXGA+ 1400x1050 | C2D 1.6GHz | 1GB RAM | 80GB HDD | 8-cell battery | Mod. 776295U |
    Oh, and I'm going to vamp up the RAM to 3GB when it arrives. ;)
    Awesome! Well done on the purchase. Would you mind me trying it out while I'm over there?

It'll be a while though before I can give you a first impression because I'm ordering from a US based shop and it'll take a while to transfer the money over there from good ol' Germany.

I finally went for the 12" X61T because I need the big SXGA+ resolution (and they finally fixed the bezel issue).
    I tested the lower WXGA (1280x800, available on R1F/E and Gateway C-140x) resolution on my CRT over the last few days and it just isn't enough for Flash CS3 and other panel intense applications. And the other SXGA+ TabletPC, the Fujitsu T4220 is just too expensive.
    Ah, damn. Oh well, I still hope you enjoy it.

Also I just love that sleek sexy black business look. xD
    http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/977...dirtbaguu6.jpg
    'Sexy black business look'? LOL!

I would like to try your TabletPC out while I'm over there, if you wouldn't mind. :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Max A K Challie View Post
    Ah, damn. Oh well, I still hope you enjoy it.
    I think that's a given. : D
    About 3 months of research went into this decision and I'm absolutely certain I made the right one.
    I received an estimated date of delivery yesterday, sais the machine will be here next friday.
    Unless customs take their time with processing the package, then it might be here after the christmas holidays.

I made an animated gif to show you what I meant when I said, WXGA (and especially XGA) just aren't enough for panel intense applications, and that SXGA is the way to go, atleast for me.

One of my recent Flash CS3 projects:

'Sexy black business look'? LOL!
    Haha, yeah I know... ; )
    I just don't like the current trend to make every piece of hardware round and shiny, like the Fujitsu T4220 for example.

I would like to try your TabletPC out while I'm over there, if you wouldn't mind.
    Absolutely no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really need to install more RAM, there is the linux route as well. I've been running Ubuntu on my tabletPC with a dual boot in XP for any software I need that I can't use on linux (pretty much just games). If any problems come up (and admittedly, there are occasionally problems getting the tablet surface set up) there's plenty of guides on getting it all working

So yeah, if you want to have high amounts of RAM but don't like Vista, linux can actually do a decent job with a tabletPC (hell, Ubuntu's actually *easier* for me to set up on mine than XP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice Big-Dave. : )

But I think I'll just go back to XP if Vista doesn't perform to my liking.
    I already spent a shitload of time tweaking XP to run as fast and smooth as possible, and it only takes an hour and a cup of coffee to setup.

I'd love to play around with linux, but I don't have the time to learn a new OS, and XP is such an integral and convenient part of my current workflow, that it would take too much time for me to find a similar fast and effective workflow in linux.

Also I don't think the current Adobe Creative Suite 3 runs under linux, right?
    And that's pretty much a deathblow for linux, because I want the TabletPC for the following tasks:

Work: 60%
    Photoshop CS3, FlashCS3
    Leisure: 40%
    Gaming, Drawing and Painting in Photoshop and PainterIX, Z-Brush

And that's pretty much homeground for windows as far as I know.
    There's this emulator "wine" I keep hearing about, but the TabletPC is going to struggle enough as is with natively running games released after 2006.

Also I wanna start getting into Z-Brush, and there's also no linux version available. : (

Btw, what kind of TabletPC do you have?

Last edited by SgtDirtbag; December 16th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You do have a point there. While the switch over to Ubuntu is pretty clean and Gimp can actually make a good substitute for PS (the linux version is a hell of a lot better than the windows port), in the end it wouldn't do for a full port over, especially since it doesn't have a flash subsitute.

Wine is a pretty efficient piece of software, surprisingly. It can get Counter Strike Source running on a machine with the minimum requirements (so the emulator doesn't cause much of a slowdown). The problem is, it doesn't support the .net programming environment (since it's patented by Microsoft), so games requiring that don't run. This does leave a surprising range of software though, it just takes a bit of tweaking to get it done.

I'm running a Fujitsu-Seimens Lifebook T3010 with 1.2GB RAM (upgrading to 2 gig once I have the money), don't know off hand what the processor is though. It's one of the older models, but as long as you don't work with too many layers it's just fine for digital painting. Only problem I've had is that new batteries cost a bomb, and I really do need the extra life span I'd get from one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just bought a thinkpad X61, very good, except, I have no idea howto map the ALT/ CRTL/ Shift key to the directional pad, can anyone help? thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a tablet for your computer. It will last forever.

A tablet pc is limited by hardware performance and you will end up replacing the whole package in time vs just the computer. You will get more accuracy and pressure sensitivity out of a normal tablet also.

You may as well get the laptop and plug in a wacom to it if you want portability. Better performance with a proper laptop vs tablet pc and better options for the future.

Drawing on screen is not the holiness everyone makes it out to be either. There is a lot of disconnect between the tip of the stylus and the actual screen (glass and air between). Also hand in the way. You can draw on paper and just scan it in or use on of those inklings.

I own the cintiq 21UX and sometimes I prefer to draw on paper and scan in still.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 4