Kraister's art

just trying to make some nice art

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heey, I'm Maurice. I'm 16 years old and I live in holland. I just started with digital art on photoshop, I realy love the things some profecional artists do around here so I decided I try my own part here. I never had enough motivation to realy try and make some nice things. The two drawings on the post before this one were realy hard for me because I'm pretty much a perfectionist. I don't know if I'm breaking any copyrights, the left one is obviously from spiderman 3 and the right one is from a cover of half life 2. I tried my best on making it a perfect replica but I'm not good enough I would realy like to make my own designed art but for now I will do as many as I can of these kind of things. If I can find the inspiration, let me know what you think! I realy could use some tips.
    thanks,
    kraister

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beast rider progress

I made sketches on paper and started on a painting of my own. I'll update everyday and please comment if you think I'm worthless

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

beast rider progress

heey everyone, another progress shot of my beast rider piece. I'm having a little bit of trouble with making it look realistic and the lighting as you can see. If anyone can give me tips on that or redirect me to a tutorial I would realy like that. also tutorials on texturing materials like wood or flesh.
    thnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool colouring and texture you got there, more please !

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

beast rider progress

another update I don't realy like how it's turning out because I think it's just ugly, but I'm finishing it anyway. If it realy looks awefull at the end I'll tweek it or just call it a job not well done. What do you guys think?
    thnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and thnx starbonescoffin! realy appreciate it, liked your art to!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey look! Its Morgan Freemans second cousin, Gordon! Nice work man. That chariot looks like its coming along slow but its looking pretty cool regardless.

Nice work man. Especially on web-head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man, didn't understand the first sentence but thats probably because I'm Dutch. Next update I'll work on the chariot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, very nice shading and rendering, BUT unfortunately you must study anatomy, lots of. Specially that beast is very not good, study dog/horse abit and then redraw, and ofcourse human, lots of, u will se improvment soon, i swear (ofcourse if u will study), and damn ur rendering is AWESOME dude! Oh and if u have time check my sb and leave a comm i'd apreciate it.

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    step one of an anatomy study. Next stepts will come. I also tried to work on the railing of the chariot but it didn't work out. I can't paint ivory nore wood, so I'll have to do some work on that. If you have sugestions, please tell
    thnx.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cant wait to see mo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey!
    I'd advise you to do some anatomical studies before doing some crazy concept art. It will really help you. When people said that to me I thought "yeah right", but it will really help you. The sooner you start studying anatomy, the sooner you can create crazy and badass concept art

Just a friendly tip.

By the way, spider man is nice =p

Best
    Henning

EDIT:
    Subscribled to this thread. I really want to follow you progress

Henning Sanden

- Portfolio

- Sketchbook

henning.sanden[at]gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Guilemo. Studies come first. Crawl, walk, run, fly. I also think spidey looks real nice. Looking forward to anatomy study number two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with the last two guys. Do some anatomy studies. Do lots of them. You will improve much quicker than just jumping straight into concept art. You're not-at-all bad, though. Far from it; you've shown a good grasp of the human figure. You just need practice and refinement. The ol' webhead looks great!

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kraister View Post
    I made sketches on paper and started on a painting of my own. I'll update everyday and please comment if you think I'm worthless
    really nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude you good works here~~ i like your spirits .just keep drawing ~ i think you will be a great artist .

good day everyone ! enjoy your life

sean's sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heey people,
    Grandmassa mr. Spect: thnx, you will see more
    Guilemo, sabe2003, Piranha clan: I agree with you all, I don't like doing these studies because it's just so much work to learn every little peace from a human body from my mind and only for a good drawing. I know it's the first thing that's needed for good drawings so I'll have to push myself. I apreciate your comments on my spiderman drawing. Took my some time and dedication but it worked out so I'm very proud of it. thnx!
    Shimi85: thnx man!
    undergroundsean: I'm honoured! thnx!

also, here's the second part of the anatomy studie, it's not perfect but it's okay, I hope to get more into details and to do the muscles later on. I don't know what I'm going to do with the beast rider project. I'll problably do some background stuff and wait on working on the figure. Hope you don't get bored in the meantime.
    thnx!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and sorry for the double post. My internet broke down and I thought it had gone all wrong and I did it again. so my apalogies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here....!
    keep it up!
    that Roman one is turning up nicely....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    helloooooooooo,
    rdsarna: man I love you I've seen your drawings and was amazed by the anatomy so (i hope) with your permission I took a drawing and drew my version for a study. If you don't want this I will remove them again if you want. Otherwise I would also like to do the backside.
    thnx

Last edited by kraister; August 21st, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heey people
    I took the advice from throtailer and studied the muscles of horses a bit. So the legs of 'the beast' are all nice and sort of realistic with good muscles. Tell me what you think. And also, if any of you has sugestions for the background something not too hard. I'm just a beginner
    thnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heey people,
    a little fast painting I made a while ago when I just started discovering photoshop. I was playing with the brushes and made this. I thought it was genius
    thnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kraister! I'm a first year art student, so I don't know how accurate or useful anything I say is, but I wanted to give my opinions about what you're doing here.

First of all your coloring is amazing. Your lighting is impressive, too. The pictures you've done using a reference picture to draw from are levels above your other work. In fact, it almost seems like you're two people! That's some gap! You must have been practicing digital coloring for some time! Or maybe you're just a natural.

The previous comments about studying anatomy is the same advice I have. Don't worry about improving your coloring skills at the moment, and dive into books and tutorials about anatomy.

A few notes about anatomy:
    -The "pubic arch" (front), "greater trochanter" (side), or "coccyx" (back) is at the center of the body. From there it's an even distance to the head and to the feet. Using that rule, you're drawing long torsos and short legs. This is extremely common for younger artists, and is something you should be aware of so you can fix it.

In case you don't know what they are: The pubic arch is just above the crotch, the greater trochanter is the knob on the side of the femur (thigh bone), and the coccyx is the tail bone.

-The femur (thigh bone) starts further out at the hip, and angles medially (inward). It doesn't go straight down.

-The spine only bends (noticably) at the neck and lower back. The thoracic vertebrae (spinal vertebrae attached to the ribcage) are mostly solid. You haven't been doing many bending humans, but once you start this comes in very handy.

I look forward to seeing your progress! Anatomy is a huge and useful subject. And that green beastie's legs turned out really awesome after you looked at the horse pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pointystick
    your absolutly right about the anatomy, I made the corrections and edited the picture. first of all thnx for all your compliments! I'm realy honoured. I haven't been practicing digital coloring for a long time at all. So I hope I'm a natural I've always been good in drawing pictures using reference but I always thought it was kind of fake and that everybody could do it. I realy want to make my own art without reference as good as I can with reference. I reaky look up to people like J.P. targete (he's freakin' awesome). anyways, I will be doing a drawing from my girlfriends picture. anatomy studies and hopefully also make some progress on the beast rider.
    thnx!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kraister View Post
    I've always been good in drawing pictures using reference but I always thought it was kind of fake and that everybody could do it. I realy want to make my own art without reference as good as I can with reference.
    Not everyone can magically draw, even using reference. It takes a lot of practice. Things are often easier using reference, or drawing from observation, because the "correct" way to represent what you're drawing is right there in front of you. If you're drawing from memory, you need to have whatever it is you're drawing already committed to memory. And if you're drawing from imagination, you need to know enough about anatomy, color theory, lighting, perspective, and everything else in order to create something from nothing -- so it's even harder. Using reference to learn from is not a crutch, it's a necessary step.

I was taught that there are three origins to draw from:

-Drawing from other artists work
    -Drawing from observation
    -Drawing from memory/imagination

And I felt the same way. Copying (not tracing, but freehand copying) another artists' work did seem useful, because I could learn what they learned while drawing it, but it felt hollow or fake.

I realize now that it's great practice, and that most of what I draw anyway is just that: practice. So I can copy, learn from it, and file it away in a drawer without having to try to show it off to anyone, which is what felt fake about it.

In a different vein, drawing from observation is a different yet extremely useful game. When you draw something your seeing, you study it in a way you wouldn't normally study it, and file away information about it. It becomes extremely useful later on when you're drawing things just from your mind.

The last one, drawing from memory or imagination is the hardest method, in my opinion. It's also one of the most fun. Like I said above, this method requires the most prior knowledge, and in order to do it effectively you have to have already drawn much using the other two origins. And like with the green beastie above, sometimes the knowledge just isn't there yet, and you have to go back to a reference to figure out how it works. I do it that all the time.

Hope my strange ideas prove useful to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pointystick,
    you seem to realy know what your talking about! would you please give me more advise on everything. I think it's realy helpfull. I think I will do some more drawing from other artists work. Then later on draw from imagination. I will finish my beastrider though.
    thnx! another lesson learned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my girlfriend

Last edited by kraister; August 22nd, 2007 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I would never get the face right but I think it worked out pretty fine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heey people
    so i pretty much destroyed the whole picture the face doesn't look like my girlfriend anyone comments? I still have alot to learn
    thnx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.