Main character for project (WIP)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Main character for project (WIP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm currently doing the line work on this; I'm looking for some anatomy/perspective type of criticism before I commit to inking it.

Note that the creatures in the background are just for placement since I'm planning on drawing them seperately and working them into the final image.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest working in layers rather than a single layer. Build up the form from a line of action, then basic shapes, and finally musculature and anatomy on that. Right now the calves appear distorted and the proportions of the feet seem too large to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realise that you are going for a cartoony character, but the anatomy seems a bit ambiguously rendered. I would flesh out a strong "skeleton" for you to base your figure on. It doesn't have to be each and every bone! Just sketch a line for the shoulders, arms, the spine, the hips, thighs, calves, circles for the head, knees, elbows, hands and feet. Find a pose from a reference photo and try to mimic it with as few lines as possible.

I am not sure if she is floating or swimming in this pic? Maybe reduce the clutter around her, so we can more properly tell what she is doing? Also if you have a program that is capable for increasing the brightness/ contrast, i would do so, as the picture is light and kind of hard to see.

I like the character's design and face. Just try to work on general anatomy, though it looks as if you have a decent start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I made some changes to the calves, some revisions to her fins, and normalized the colour of the background because some parts were strikingly lighter. She's ascending towards the light, so shes sort of being pulled towards it while swimming lightly. I'm trying to get her feet to be suitable for swimming but also not too big, but I'm unsure.

Thanks for the critique, I think I should probably work in levels of detail. I tend to just skip lines/basic shapes because it's kind of hard for me to figure out what something will look like in the end. I'll try practicing, though.

If there is anything that should be pointed out in terms of anatomy, it'd be very welcome, especially if it's explained visually.

Edit: By the way, how do I get a thumbnail to appear next to my thread in the forum listing; do I need to add it as an attachment? Also I'm not really sure about brightness; my monitor is way too dark by default so I have to setup gamma and stuff on the software level for my display. Is it better now?

Last edited by Pipgirl; August 21st, 2007 at 05:10 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.