Thread: Erik Tiemens

Thanks

Erik Tiemens

Post your thoughts...

Erik Tiemens is an amazing artist, i am sure you all know of him. This artist has inspired me throughout my entire journey being an artist. He is my #1 favorite artist. There is something about his work, that makes it so perfect. The way he can use value and color are absolutely astonishing. If you just study that, (value and color) through this guys work, it will already help you. It did for me.

Anyways, i just wanted to tell you all how much i love this guys work.

And for all you that do not know of him...

http://www.watersketch.com/

~JB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yep, he is a truly great artist he seems to be able to master anything he turns his hand to, digital, traditional, pencil watercolours..hell..he could probrably out do someone like banksy at graffiti art if he tried.
    and i think your right part of what makes his work so striking is usualy the colours and the atmosphere. the background for the site you linked is incredible, before i saw the whole picture the blues mixing with the whites with such.........juicy strokes is just mindblowing.

i also love him
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    My Episode III artbook came with a print of one of his concepts It's hanging on the wall right above my screen.

What makes his paintings so inspiring is the electricity and movement every stroke conveys. Everything seems to be alive and moving. Really like his work.

Thanks
    The guy is a genius. Paint runs through his blood.

Nathan Fowkes also does some great plein air paintings similar to tiemens.
    http://nathanfowkes-sketch.blogspot.com/
    http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    yes, this guy is a genius. Love his work.
    Nathan Fowkes is amazing too, my favourite. His watercolors are stunning.

Thanks

Thanks
    Jabo, that is definitely a good point! His movement in his paintings are amazing!!

Thanks
    I'm sorry for being so ignorant, but now I'm curious. Why? Why is he so amazing? This is a amateur asking so I'd really like it if someone could take the time to explain. Specifically why his colors are so well chosen, and the movement in his paintings.

Do you mean the way his strokes move in the painting, or the rythm and composition? I just dont like feeling left out.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Space Chimp, it's rather hard to explain to someone why a painting looks good. You have to get it yourself. Separating mediocre from outstanding pieces and artists is a skill you learn by-and-by. It's good to watch out for artists who are respected in a special way in order to build a library of good artwork in your mind. Some years ago I absolutely loved some comic artists, nowadays I think their work looks moderate.

In Tiemens' case, I think what makes him stand out on a technical level is his brush economy. He can paint great action with just a few strokes by chosing the right direction, pace and color of those strokes very wisely. His Star Wars art is especially notable here, as it is intended to be fast art (being concept art). He has achieved a great deal of skill to paint things quickly.

The colors in his pieces convey a sort of dusty, mass-filled space. It looks like the air is actually three-dimensional and filled with movement. You might have noticed this when you've been hanging out on a sunny forenoon and the sun shines through a window, lighting the dust in the air. That's movement. That's mass.

Hope this helps you to find out what we're all drooling about

PS: Just to make a comparison, I think Jaime Jones has a similar obsession for electricity-filled air in some of his paintings, especially in this one.

PPS: As has Spooge, but his paintings are rather static and calm compared to Tiemens'. They look like some kind of liquid that has been congealed in the moment of the capture.
    Last edited by Jabo; August 20th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    ok, wow...

I can't believe he's painting like that with guoache... they look like oils (actually after reinspecting the site, some of them are... on paper) with the heavy impasto treatment. seeing the originals in person must be completely mindblowing.

thanks for the tip, jb

-jb