Hello Conceptart people, i am new here :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hello Conceptart people, i am new here :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello Conceptart people, i am new here :)

hi, i hope u ll enjoy this. it's my first post here
    because i 'am new o//
    Even if i am more a mangaka (will see later), i try sometimes to make these photoshop painting like this.

It's a "Arthas VS Illidan"
    2 popular characters in a game called "warcraft 3"
    The whole picture is really grey, i know it, i really desire that because i wanted a cold atmosphere for this scene.
    Arthas, the knight come from a frozen and undead country. I didn't want clear colors for him. Anyway ^^
    thanks & cya around
    (and sorry if my english sucks)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, good stuff but, though you want it to look cold, arthas has just blended in to the background and is pretty hard to pick him out (or he doesn't pop out of the peice as you'd think he would being the main focal point).

The value range is pretty dull and constant across the majority of the pic. Upping the contrast would help and pulling out arthas with some colour and really putting focus on him would help immensly. You could just stick to using one main colour (blue?) if you still want him to look cold and grey.

There might be a problem with the composition too as there seems to be a lot of blank space on the left of the image which isn't helping, not too sure tho (i suck at composition )

hope that helped a bit, good luck with it

cheers,
    chris

Ninja code forbid me to use door

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

i can haz folio wip: WEBSITE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, I think most of us know its warcraft lol.
    I personally play warcraft 3 all the time.
    The pic looks alright, but its awfully right side heavy composition, and Arthas' sword has two different perspectives, especially with the jutting out claw like thing at the top, you need to lower and to the side more.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank u chaoticKnight and Nizza_waaarg for advises,
    i knew that the composition was far from perfect and even more when i realize it.
    and yeah may be that sword is bent, i added so much effect on it that i didn't pay attention to keep it straight,
    well! now it's a bent frostmourne and that's all :p
    promise to work harder for the next one!

and... yeah i admit i was a bit lazy for that background!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Good work

Nice work

The main things that struck me about this piece are:

The central figure is quite capitvating in terms of gesture, expression and movement - very well done.

The figures head in the foreground is difficult to separate in parts from the central figure. The position of the wing does not tally with the position of the body which makes the figure seem awkward to my eyes. I would also expect to see more texture in the creature in the foreground this would perhaps help to bring it forward more - your choice of a warmer colour also helps somewhat in this respect I think.

I really like the landscape - the spikey shapes really increase the tension of the image but my eye keeps wandering to the space where the peaks are there seems to be something missing here to help the story along.

The use of gray to give a cold feeling does not entirely work I think. As others have suggested I think grey blues would achieve this much better. If you then increase the saturation in the foreground this will give more drama I feel.

There is a predominance of midtones in the image which is robbing the image of contrast. Whilst this gives the image more of a sense of a night scene - by increasing the proportion of dark tones and perhaps some lightest tones, highlights from the moon, I think things could be much improved. You might also consider introducing some complementary colour (if blue is the ambient then orange/yellow would work well) reflected light onto the figures to increase the dynamic range in the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely piece. Though I agree with wha has been posted before, I'd like to add something. It looks as if Artha's wrists are as thick as his hands. Aren't hands supposed to be bigger?

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looks good, i think everything was written above already.

A quick note: a Manga-ka is someone who makes a living by drawing mangas in Japan. The -ka indicates a profession. Hobbyists are called Doujin-artists and their comics a doujinhshi.
    i know that many people like to call themselves manga-ka and otaku, in Japan its nothing to be proud of. Manga-ka are super low payed jobs, only a couple of the more famous artists make decent money, the rest would rather feel ashamed admitting their job in public.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just find it odd that arthas has less color than the BACKGROUND. hmm. look up atmospheric perspective.

Anyway.

Compositionally, everyone here is totally right. You don't really have a clearly defined light source, which actually pushes illidan into the midground. It looks like you're trying to use him as a framing element, but it's not really working since arthas isn't in the direction that he's looking. You're trying to have a triangular composition going (illidan's head to arthas' head to frostmourne back through illidan's arm) but frostmourne doesn't even point anywhere - just off the left side of the screen. If you could, I'd suggest FLIPPING illidan (only illidan) horizontally.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think tihs piece has alot of potential, but you need more colour, make some bluish color scheme over the whole pic, u dont have to use strong colors or anything but right now its almoust just B&W. They say pics say mor then 1000 word, so here we go, did this paintover:

first pic is a color layer with plain color, then i did an anbient layer, also with color settings with a bluish scheme, and then did some adjustments with the contrast

this was done in like 2-3 mins, just to show u what im talking about

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lotet; August 19th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    whatta ta semma doun naa great pics great crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to concept art!
    I'm new here aswell

over all it looks good man. I really like the composition.

My only crits would be, that it seems a bit overworked. A little too much detail in the BG. Also it seems very airbrushy, Photoshopy, Try using a more scratchy scattered brushes. Also try using less transparency.

Don't feel bad, I overwork my paintings all the time, it's something i'm really struggling with.

Check this guy out for some inspiration.

www.goodbrush.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drewsky - that website is inspirational, never seen that guy's art - maybe I have but not the pieces I looked through on his website, very impressive.

Now back on the topic here - the shading/rendering looks good to me - don't be afraid of putting details in but you should dof the background and lose more contrast.

The biggest issues I have with this work are size of the characters. Arthas in particular was a giant among men in warcraft. In this work both the characters could benefit with a lot more muscle if you want to stay true to the characters from wc. Their arms in particular are too thin and long - both of these attributes being an issue. Also Illidan has no lat muscles at all - you can perhaps reference some bodybuilding photos for the actual muscle shapes though Illidan should still be sinewy and more compact than Arthas.

It is a complicated project you've undertaken, the lighting could be greatly improved too but it might require starting over from scratch which really isn't worth it because you're close to completion. Hope this helps.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

AINSI is offline 「揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提 薩婆訶。」 Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a really cool picture, but most critiques have already been said. I like Lotet's second suggestion picture, though, and I think something like that would help it immensely!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work

the first version makes the most mysterious (dark) impression

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job. The only major issues (which were probably mentioned earlier) are the composition and color (or lack of).

If the character in the foreground were flipped and placed at the left edge of the canvas, the composition would flow much better.

The second post by Lotet has the ideal color scheme, though you don't want the blue to be as saturated as that example. Make sure the foreground character is fully colored (the purple at least - avoid using grays on him). Once he's in color, desaturate him a bit so that he doesn't stand out too much.

The rendering is spectacular, and the character poses have life to them - this is usually difficult to pull off, but you managed to do a good job in that department.

Best of luck with this piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great pic anyway ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you everyone for your crits, well finally
    i am not very frigthened by my "composition", know that it was really wanted the "heavy" balance in the right of drawing and i know there are problems with "composition rules" but i still find it fun and don't wanna change ;o
    but for the colors and background proposition, thank you, this will be helpfull for me, especially Lotet for your adjustements
    thank you all! gonna workin on my new one now

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.