Under the Shadow of Destiny
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Under the Shadow of Destiny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Under the Shadow of Destiny

I did this mainly as a figure study to do a little anatomy and painting.
    Still a few areas that could use refining, but all in all I think it came out pretty good.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MrKayne; August 16th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'A few' puts it mildly. The feet and the ankles look deeply unnatural. The nose looks sideways and Picassofied- flat at the bottom and bearning no relation to the angle of her face. The shoulders are also wrong, too bumpy, dipping in too much above and below, (there is too much of a dip between shoulder and neck). The head, for it's angle, is at a slightly strange position on the neck (it looks like it's been shunted backwards) and the torso is a bit too narrow across the chest. The arms are also strange, bending at an odd angle and being heavy in the lower part in proportion to the upper. The Anatomy is all over the place, frankly, but I think not beyond correction. The relative proportions are not disastrously out, mostly, it's how they are put together that's problematic. You can't call this a figure study as clearly you haven't used a reference (or if you did you didn't observe it). The thing with studies is to study and to depict things as they are, not as you presume/guess/want them to be. I can't emphasize that enough. More good advice is to pose yourself in a mirror, when in doubt concerning anatomy. Even if you are male the general anatomical structure will help, and you can make the appropriate changes to render a female shape. A bit of attention to detail wouldn't go amiss, either, once the more important issues are corrected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with dashinvaine about the anatomy. I'd like to add that the bg is fighting with the foreground for attention and that her dress seems really really....droopy liquidlike. The rendering makes it hard to understand what sort of material it's supposed to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also agree with the above comments.

And I feel the need to add some feedback about color.
    You must remember that the skin is not any one tone of peach. There are numerous other colors to be included in the skin for realism: reds, oranges, yellows, blues, greens, purples, siennas, ochres and umbers provide the proper range in varying degrees for many skin tones.

Study the palate of the artists you admire to analyze why they chose certain colors and values.

Phil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cool

I love your background personally i think your moon is amazing. I like most of the anatomy but I dont think that her clothes looked joined, they look really seperate and have no texture to them, giving away a really bordered effect like lineart I think I am trying to say. I just doesnt seem like the same peive of clothing and its all just strips that have been put there without depth as there isnt really any differing of shadows. Also the arm on the left, the joint with the shoulder really sticks out and is just... incorrect, I am trying to choose words carefully but I think with the shoulder fixed it would be a great picture.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.