Miami, Florida USA...currently living in Sydney, Australia
    Thanks

SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design ?

Hello all. I'm from Miami, FL and am new to CA (in fact, this is my first post on these forums). I intend to pursue studies in Illustraion/Concept Design and possibly Animation as well.
    I have researched art schools along the east coast (prefering the southeast) and it seems to me that SCAD stands out by far, even described as the best and largest art school in the US.
    I visited Ringling in Sarasota, FL and although that school seems well developed for its size and expanding, I got a slight impression of it feeling slightly constrained or small and that made me wonder about its reputation in the art industry.

My reservations and my dilema have to do with:
    (1) Wanting to attain a degree from the largest AND/OR most highly reputable of schools (SCAD in this case IMO) as would be desirable in the eyes of any employer seeking highly talented and skilled artists/concept designers etc.
    (2) Ringling is only 2 hours away and would require far less stress to my relationship with my girlfriend and relocation requirements than Savannah, GA.

I know the most important thing is the individual and how he applies himself and his skills in the art industry. But there is always that gnawing lingering feeling in the back of my mind...am I 'settling' if I decide to attend the much closer (albeit reputable) Ringling as opposed to the more renowned SCAD? I haven't read any posts here regarding SCAD.

Am I approaching this with the wrong mindset and putting myself through unnecessary stress by aiming for a very faraway place that only SEEMS like greener grass on the other side?

Reading all these positive posts about Ringling from people willing to travel across the country to attend has prompted me to reconsider...is Ringling better than my impression of it?
    Last edited by TROGLODYTE; August 14th, 2007 at 01:45 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TROGLODYTE View Post
    Am I approaching this with the wrong mindset and putting myself through unnecessary stress by aiming for a very faraway place that only SEEMS like greener grass on the other side?
    Yes, you are. I don't know why you haven't found many SCAD threads, it has a rather large presence on these boards. And, I don't know where you've gotten your idea of the relative merits/reputations of the two schools. Before you do anything, read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Actually, I had read the sticky as well as the replies, which is why I stated "I know the most important thing is the individual and how he applies himself and his skills in the art industry." And being a United States Marine, working my but off and then some is second nature.
    I know John Manley's sticky is great for young, post high school and undergraduates who have little experience with what the real world of hard work is, but frankly most of what that sticky states pretty much 'falls from the tree'...and seems a tad bit idealistic.
    It's easy to say that a doctor is only as good as he applies himself in his studies and learning, sure. I agree. But give a hospital personnel liason a choice between a UM Medical School graduate and ... John Doe University graduate (who BOTH work hard to learn and apply themselves) and the UM student will win the favor. I guess what I am trying to say is, "which one will make it easier to work hard and apply oneself?"

I know my analogy of the medical field doesn't apply too all extents but you get what I'm saying. I do know that in the art industry, you deal with portfolio (as your sticky reply supports).
    I guess I was digging for a bit more specific feedback on other opinions with regard to the comparison of the two schools.

Thanks
    No one cares where you went to school, and reputations don't mean squat. Having said that, is one school as good as any other? Of course not. What matters in a school is (a)the quality of the faculty, and (b)the quality of the students in the particular department/major you are interested in. The final factor is financial, because, all other things being equal, the less debt you can make it out of school with, the better.
    Sorry I can't give you specifics, I'm more familiar with Northeast and California schools.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    If you have a facebook account, I here's a link for the SCAD 2011 Class facebook group. There are about 800 members. Seems like a pretty active group, if you want to ask some questions.

Thanks

the scad-atl catl had to disband...

Scad does have some incredible degree programs, professors, and students, I know from personal experience and have taken classes there. but also note that their violently thrashing juggernaut of marketting can be a little misleading to impressionable young artistic minds ... and it's a private school ... There are tales i could tell but i'd rather not get into specifics in this public forum.

also... don't let love decide where you go to school: 1.) you're really young, and 2.) we all know that art school babes are the hottest thing ever. period.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver View Post
    don't let love decide where you go to school: 1.) you're really young, and 2.) we all know that art school babes are the hottest thing ever. period.
    This was the most important lesson they never taught me in highschool

I think this ought to be in Jason's sticky about the reality of going to art school ^^

Thanks
    I go to SCAD. (I'm going for Industrial Design, it was something Ringling didn't have and so obviously influenced my decision) I'd just like to point out that SCAD's tuition is cheaper and they give out scholarships like candy. But, from what I've heard Ringling has the more renowned Animation department. If you're interested in Concept Art, you might want to check out the Sequential Art department (read the course descriptions, you'll see it's more than just 'comics'). SCAD isn't the best art school out there, but it's a very good one for quite a few of it's majors.

Thanks
    I go to SCAD. We're supposed to be getting a minor in concept art at some point in the future (IE, after everyone who actually requested it graduates), but until then most folks who want to go into concept art are in animation or sequential. I'm in the animation department right now, and I was a sequential minor until the end of last year.

The teachers of both departments are all industry pros of one type or another, and they really know their stuff. One of our best animation teachers we had was the guy who animated Rafiki in The Lion King and Kuzco in The Emperor's New Groove; sadly, he left at the end of the year to move to the West Coast. There's a rumor that SCAD is replacing him with a guy from Blue Sky, but it remains to be seen whether that will be the case.

Just be forewarned that the sequential building is bright and cozy, while the animation building is a dark behemoth that drains the life out of you every second you're forced to sit in it, surrounded by plenty of kids yet still eerily alone.

Just a heads up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconInverse View Post
    This was the most important lesson they never taught me in highschool

I think this ought to be in Jason's sticky about the reality of going to art school ^^
    Done!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver View Post
    2.) we all know that art school babes are the hottest thing ever. period.
    you know AAU really doesnt have all that many hot chicks, kinda sucks. Maybe its because its open enrolement. Maybe because im still a freshamn here so i still havent seen alot of people. Maybe because its in California. i dunno, kinda sucks really.

Though a friend of mine who worked in RISD cefeteria said the girls there where the hottest he has ever seen anywhere.

Thanks
    Yet another reason why we love Elwell! (But not in that going-to-whichever-school-he's-at kind of way)

Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback folks. And thank you Elwell.