IDW #41: Deamonic Siege Engine - Voting!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this weeks' IDW!

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • ScaryPotato

3 8.57%
  • KuJo

5 14.29%
  • AK86

7 20.00%
  • D-Holme

1 2.86%
  • Daveneale

1 2.86%
  • Chris Hershberger

1 2.86%
  • Schunnin

17 48.57%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #41: Deamonic Siege Engine - Voting!

IDW #41 Topic: Deamonic Siege Engine

Deadline for voting: Wednesday, August 22 2007

No voting for your own entries!

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #41: Deamonic Siege Engine

Last edited by yoitisi; August 14th, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: ScaryPotato

Fliegen-Aufsatz or FA-Mk1
    During World War one, the Germans conducted many bizarre experiments to strengthen their armies. One such experiment involved the use of live demon embryos (anything more developed was found to be too powerful to control easily). Contained in a sphere of crystal, the demon is shocked at precise amounts with one or more of the four Tesla Coils on the upper corners of the tower. The embryo's pain and rage is then focused and amplified through the crystal and unleashed towards the intended target. The FA-Mk1's hovering ability is due to ionics lifter rings in its base, and can carry the structure silently to its destination with a crew of pilots and maintainence staff. It was used with devastating results in the latter part of the war, as they crossed the English Channel under cover of dark to destroy their defences and any coastal resistance until the rest of the German forces could arrive.

Artist: KuJo

Hellfire Cannon
    When the sky shatters, all will feel the fury in Lucifer's Heart.

For the hellfire cannon to properly charge its solar array, it must bask in the glow of hell's sun, known as Lucifer's Heart. To accomplish this in mortal realms there must be a portal ripped open directly above the cannon, a feat that only the most disciplined of dark priests can accomplish with their twisted runes.

Artist: AK86

Helbras Jugger Nought
    The Helbras Jugger Noughts are built to with stand heavy artillery volloys and still be able to stampede through large barricades. The Helbras main purpose is to storm through any defensive barricade in its wake. The Halbras will charge at enemy strongholds and just before the moment of impact will fire a volloy from is seige cannon to ensure nothing is left standing.

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: Daveneale

In the year 3000 the pharaohs have been resurrected and are waging war with civilisation for control of the world. These tiny deamonic siege engines may be smaller than a blade of grass....but have more power than a ballistic missile.

Artist: Chris Hershberger

This Demonic Siege Engine can be manned by only one person, unfortunaly that person has to be the one who summoned it. It does not fire conventional shells or even large objects. Instead it focuses demonic energies, requiring a soul as ammunition, and fires a yellowish green ray that bursts into a portal. The "portal to hell" as it is called allows demonic troops to be deployed inside enemy bases where they can now reap havoc. If the summoner looses control of the Siege Engine often times it will consume thier soul and use it to open a portal on the nearest unit of troops.

Artist: Schunnin

Last edited by yoitisi; August 14th, 2007 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of notes on this round of IDW:

Fughi from Yuggoth: Although I could appreciate your thoughts behind your concept, I just didn't really think of it as a siege engine. A weapon of mass destruction is not necessarily a siege engine. Also the deamonic part of it was a bit weak, you could have incorporated some deamonic things in the cannon. Better next time

Act.Appalled, Adi: Still a WIP.

Anhedonic Analog: I was already pretty late with putting up the poll, so I'm afraid I can't give it another 24 hours. Hope to see you next time though, because I liked the sketches

Darthnader: Still a WIP. Idea looked promising though.

Jagehtso: It looked too much like a creature to me, and with a little more time spend on it you could have made it look much better I think.

Special notes:

Daveneale: I included your entry in the poll because it was a pretty solid rendering and I could imagine it being used during a siege to dig under walls or whatever. However, you could have been a bit more specific about what this little machine actually does both in your drawing and description.

Schunnin: No crew included! Shame on you! The drawing was too good not to be taken to poll but beware next time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New round is on: IDW #42: Street Sweeping Machine

Last edited by yoitisi; August 14th, 2007 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went kujo-like the colours and the overall design. Cheers for including me yoitisi....I wanted to rock a second "implimentation" thumb but I was snowed under with work and even rushing that much out was a mission.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scary potatoe: Cool idea, has quite a bit of mood, your piece, even though it is not as well rendered as Ak86's or Shunnin's piece. It wouldn't be fun to sit in that castle with those block approaching! Might vote for you...

Shunnin: Oh, that is toight, man, toight! Good job! You did some research, did you?

Ak86: Looks like something out of a doom game! Very strong entry. I think the dude on top needs a little more love in the paint department. No vote 4 u !!! Hehehe. Great piece never the less, but I have to make up my mind whom to vote for.

ScaryP you gotz ma vote!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KuJo, you got my vote. I think it was most closely represented a siege engine and had all topic requirements. The design is really interesting to boot

Schunnin, I probably would have voted for yours if there was a character next to it for a sense of scale. I can make guesses with the winding handles and such, but even then, it might be giants who use it, or dwarves, it's hard to say. But the technicality of yours is impressive!

Chris H - I think your idea is a good one, but the drawing itself could use a little more work done as it still looks a little sketch-ish to me.

Daveneale - I'm sure you chose something tiny because everyone else was making these large weapons, but because it's so small, seeing it in action would really help illustrate how it gets its work done. Other than that, they style of your work is really polished and clean, nice!

D-Holme - The concept is a cool one, but I think the drawing needs some refinement to put it all together. On a nit-picky note, the text for your description was a bit tricky for my tired old eyes!

AK86 - Like I said before, I think your entry is a really cool one. It didn't really fit what I think of a siege engine as well as others because it looks so mobile, but maybe I've got a closed mind on the topic. The end result is very well done though.

Last edited by ScaryPotato; August 14th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schunnin for me, because I see some solid thought process behind it, great job! Close 2nd was of course Ak86!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schunnin - Voted for yours. That is one awesome design.

KuJo - Close second for me. Kinda wish the build up of energy above the engine was a bit more defined.

Daveneale - Seeing this little guy in action would have sealed my vote for you. Sweet rendering though.

beneath the mountians of Colorado Springs.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schunnin - you get my vote for the beautiful design and clever bits of extra detail thrown in. i particularly enjoy that it's a "Baal"-lista and how you've incorporated the chaos symbol all over the place. great stuff.

AK86 - very close second because of my appreciation for the gothic/steampunk look you have going there. but i agree with earlier posts focusing on the lack of polish. it's a good image, but it could be great! good work nonetheless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went with AK86's design; being a fan of the warhammer universe, your design felt the most well fitted to what would come to mind when I'd think of the twisted designs for mecha / creatures in the game.

Schunnin would be my close second place; I loved the lay-out of the entire device, but it felt like the "daemonic" element could have been more strongly used throughout.

ScaryP, I liked the idea you had going, but wished I could have seen more in terms of the levitation mechanism.

Holme, visually I enjoyed the piece, but I was somewhat confused as to how the device functioned; it reminds me of an anti-aircraft emplacement from worldwar2 for some reason, if the dragon heads are barrels, that is.

Daven, I would have loved to have seen this idea further developed into perhaps an image of a wave of these creatures enveloping and denoting a target.

Chris, I liked the look of the cannon but wish more focus could have been put on showing how it fires, or one of them actually breaking lose from its summoner's control.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.