Sketchbook: LifeWontWait's Life Long Journey - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: LifeWontWait's Life Long Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never really understood how you draw volume with a pencil (when just using line and no shading). Lots of people say this and i don't really get it.
    Well, I've always understood showing volume with line as letting the outer lines into the silhouette to show what's advancing and receding, as well as sometimes outlining key shadows and suggesting abrupt changes in contour (for example the fold on the underside of a fingerjoint or the bump outside your wrist). It's something I think you're good at.

I'm admiring your clean-line style, maybe I'll try some drawings like that. It would be cool to see some different subjects, trees landscapes vehicles interiors fruit other people i dunno, I know you've already got people advising you on that so don't let me interfere.

Wow, just noticing how far you've come already. Noticable improvement since the sketchbook began. Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WARNING: PATHETIC DRAWINGS TODAY!

Thanks!

Nick: Please don't stop posting in my thread... you have no idea how much it helps me for you to stop in all the time. It really keeps me going. Thanks alot man!

smws: Thanks for the explanation. Also, I know what you mean about trying other subjects so I took your advice and did something a little bit different today.

I am not feeling too hot today so I didn't do much and what I did do is pretty much crap. I probably shouldn't even post this stuff but I don't want to hold anything back. There certainly will be better days!

An Elephant!!!!!!!!!! haha... did some with a sharpy to block in the real dark areas and then the rest with a really crappy pen that wasn't working very well. Poooooooooooooop.
    Name:  Elephant.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  63.8 KB

Anyone have any advice for keeping your head in one position while you draw? I find myself moving around alot and I think that is why I have so much trouble getting a likeness in SPs as well as getting features to look correct. For instance, I will start out with my head all the way over to one side and draw my nose in almost profile and then my head slowly drifts back to straight and the eyes end up being more straight on. Once again.... Pooooooooooooooop.
    Name:  SP12.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  60.3 KB

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWontWait View Post
    Anyone have any advice for keeping your head in one position while you draw? I find myself moving around alot and I think that is why I have so much trouble getting a likeness in SPs as well as getting features to look correct.
    I know this problem. I didnt do much sps myself yet but maybe it helps when you first sketch the very rough proportions of your head. There also is a nice totorial by ron lemen here on CA which explains his steps when drawing a portray. Ill look later for it and post the link.

The elefant is looking good from the propotions point of view, the shading is crappy (as you already said, your pen was crap). And i wouldnt have combined a dark feltpen with pencil or the pen u used.

wish you a better next day , but the drawings are not bad. no reason to be unhappy when you will do things better next time.

edit: I meant this

Last edited by N1ck; October 11th, 2007 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link Nick... I will check it out!

OK, I know that these are not so good again today. First time I have tried drawing with a pen without using pencil at all. I was supposed to draw the lines and if a line is wrong then just redraw the correct line.

Not sure why I don't have a likeness in my self portraits. I seem to draw a similar looking face every time but it never looks like me. Hmph.

Name:  SP13.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  58.5 KB

And a quick giraffe sketch for something different today.
    Name:  Giraff.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  41.7 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi LWW,
    I have been looking at your stuff and am wondering if you use guidelines?
    REALLY take a good look at the link from N1ck, maybe even try your hand at those drawings.
    With regard to the self portrait problems there is a solution...look at the placement of your head with regards to the things in the background or whatever else you could use for measurement purposes when you begin the drawing.
    Keep at it!
    Steve-I

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks steve, I really appreciate it. I will look more in depth at that link that nick sent me... I didn't have much time today and wanted to do it justice so I just did a few studies trying to get myself to think in 3d better (as you can see I was having some trouble). Also, I do use guidelines for my portraits most the time... I need to not be so lazy and actually make some measurements and take more time with my drawings.

Here is what i did today... yeah I know, not much. Didn't even have time to do a SP.

Name:  HeadStructure.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  62.4 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job... but MOAR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWontWait View Post
    I need to not be so lazy and actually make some measurements and take more time with my drawings.
    Very good point, really . If you try to make one really good sp which takes you about two times longer… i dont know, how much you need to make it as good as you momentarily can. I think one can learn a lot from this kind of drawing than just doing things the same or almost the same way again and again.
    I should do exactly the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well here is MOAR!

Not very satisfied with the SP because I spend quite a bit longer than usual on it and I think it turned out worse than alot of them. Plus, I couldn't get the values right in photoshop after I took the picture. And the jawline is obviously screwed.

And some more head studies... these ones are from loomis.

Name:  SP14.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  Headstructure1.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  Headstructure2.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  52.0 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's SP and more loomis head studies. These things are incredible... they really do teach you to be able to draw a head from any angle. I will definetely keep drawing these. I do have a killer time drawing the the head looking up though. I seem to do ok with it in complete profile but get really confused with the jaw if it is anything but profile. Any pointers for me?

Name:  SP15.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  Headstructure5.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  headstructure4.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Headstructure3.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  24.9 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head studies from Loomis are looking great. I'm going to have to pick up one of his books. Drawing people is my biggest shortcoming.

The elephant looks a little basic but I actually like it that way. Good stuff.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job with the self-portraits and good to see you're having a good grip of Loomis. Pencil renderings have improved a lot too.

There's a good sense of form in the newest SPs ones but the features don't seem to have solid connections. Try to use time on construction lines for each feature - a line going along the ridge of the nose, a circle around the chin etc. Keep them coming and you'll learn what landmarks in your own face to look for to get it right from any ankle. Then you can apply that knowledge to other kinds of faces as well (and don't worry if they all look like you for a while ).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks you guys!

Smuli... I am a little confused. I don't really understand what you said about the features not having solid connections. Could you rephrase this for me? Do you mean it looks like the eyes, nose, mouth, etc are just put on there but don't look like they are actually attached to the face? Sorry for being dumb!

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am so damn lazy.......

Here is another SP. Straight pen... I think I did ok on this one! Now I have to go draw because I am being very worthless!

Name:  SP16.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  101.2 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my message was just bury the sketch in construction lines before you shade and do the final lines for the features. Sometimes you've left the nearer eye too small for it to be in perspective (link), sometimes there's the issue with the jaw line you've noticed yourself, on the second last portrait the eyes are too far apart etc. These are just little things that'll get better with time though and the Loomis sketches surely help.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are 100% correct smuli. If you look at my last SP that is just ink (no pencil first) it really isn't much different from the pencil sketches that I have. All that shows is that I am not using construction lines for my sketches.

Here is another SP... kinda. I did this looking in the mirror once again but I just wanted to show you my construction lines before I start drawing in the features and such. I will work on this more in a bit... I am going to go mess around with Maya now.

Name:  SP17.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  44.9 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here it is rendered.... I can't believe I still am off with the eyes. I spent the majority of the time on this one just focusing on getting all the features the right proportion and everything and i still mess up with the eyes. I am really not sure why this doesn't look like me still either. I measured everything as close as I could and thought that I was spot on.

Anyway, here it is.

Name:  SP17.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  94.8 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your studies, the improvement in your anatomy throughout this thread is great.

Also, your portraits are getting much better, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks crash! It helps for you to tell me that there is improvement because I really can't see any... if anything I feel like i am getting worse. It makes me keep going to hear that I am improving.

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good doing these different kinds of studies. the protraits are really looking a lot better and cleaner (in a positive way). in the last SP the hair got a bit unstructured (probably thats what your hair is like ) but i mean you the hatching could be a bit more structured.

keep it up as always
    -Nick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah... my hair is pretty messed up....

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you post a lot or should I say often.... Anyways, I'm glad to see you applying some Loomis to your sbs. And I think it made a difference. It seems to me that you know more than you have been applying to them. Studying is great and all, but if you don't use it, than you are missing something critical. For example in this last one I think your nose could use a bit more structure to it. When you are rendering think about the different planes of the face. You can also play around with your lighting to understand the different planes better.
    As far as holding still, well, that kind of comes with the territory of drawing from life. There are things that can help though. I always try to position the mirror in a place where I can see what I am sketching on and the mirror simply by moving my eyes back and forth instead of my entire head. I also try to quickly lay out my guide lines for the structure so that if I move, it doesn't really matter. I follow my guidelines and just use myself as a ref. ...if that makes sense. Another thing is I make multiple lines to "find" an edge and generally the right one is some combination of the ones I've put down. Always remember start with the broad and work your way down to the specific.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey LifeWon'tWait, good to see you keeping diligent. Maybe if you posted a photo of yourself with similar lighting to your SPs, others could more precisely pin down what the matter was? On the other hand you may not really want to... the problems you're having are endemic to faces, a good likeness is really pretty hard to get and it won't come right away. I can't usually get one. I mean, there's just a huge part of our brain devoted to recognizing the minute dimensions of a face.

Suggestions: (all very loose) maybe use 2 mirrors and draw yourself from another angle, change up the lighting if you can, try doing a really quick SP just to get the major light/shadow stuff in, maybe try going all the way to finished work on something entirely different (like a still life or an interior, maybe a small detailed object on your desk...), maybe try having the shading and hatching more closely follow the contours of what you're drawing... right now a lot of your shading is very straight-line, try some curves? What kind of things do you want to draw really well? Try some... mix it up!

You're doing well and I wish I was half as diligent when I was your age. MOAR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys... I will respond properly tomorrow. I am really tired and have an awful headache. Just wanted to update real quick.

I didn't do a SP today... getting pretty sick of them to tell ya the truth! Not going to stop completely though.

Here is a sketch of some dude I found on google. I showed the process here so that I can maybe get some more specific help. I tried using the tutorial that nick sent me. Thanks man!

Name:  Profile1to4.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  165.8 KB

And the reference:
    Name:  profileref.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  53.6 KB

And for something a little different this is my first attempt at drawing some trees. I did these from a J.D. Harding book. Didn't spend much time on them as you can tell....
    Name:  Trees.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  65.7 KB

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Life, nice sketchbook you got going here. I can see drastic improvement from the earlier stuff, your really beginning to SEE. Anyways, keep up the good work and try to use a few darker darks in your pictures. and vary the line weight in places. laterz :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire your dedication in shading the whole frickin face. I can't do that, too much work!

EDIT: seconding darker darks. And try not to sacrifice tonal accuracy for greater detail, like you did with the guys eye in the last one.

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude, nice progress so far!
    the last one is really good.
    if i can give some basic advice: try to make faster sketches, dont make one for hours, where u can as well make 5 of them. if u want to learn thats better i think. making more sketches will give u faster the insight that u need

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey...you are improving fast. i should do more studies like you do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mybutterflyiris: Thanks a bunch! I will try to use more of what I have been learning in the Loomis books. Also I will try and position the mirror a little better in my SPs so that I don't have to move my head as much.

smws: Thanks again for stopping by. I will try and look for another mirror so I can get some different angles. Also, I will try to mix it up a bit. I really want to eventually get good at everything... I always liked it when you look at someones stuff and they seem like they can draw great characters, monsters, environments, from imagination, from life, etc. I am not sure if the best way to learn is to try doing it all at the same time or start with one and move on as you feel more comfortable with the one you have been focusing on. Right now I am working on people.

RandAlThor: Thanks friend! Yeah, I will try and use some darker darks and vary my lineweight. Hopefully I can get the pics to show the darker darks on the computer. This last portrait I did of the guy in profile had about as dark as I could get with my 2B pencil on his shirt in the shadows but it didn't show up very well on the computer.

FoxinShocks: Hey thanks for stopping by!

ajvenema: Thanks man! I will make some quicker sketches along with the longer ones. I think we can learn alot from both types of sketches!

fab.K: Thanks!

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the comments life, when you scan your images you can increase the darkness of the lines, by using the levels option in photoshop, or you can duplicate the base layer and set the top to multiply. This should help with the contrast issues in some of your scanned images. keep going.... :-)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3