What age did you start drawing?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What age did you start drawing?

Seeing as good as some of you guys are I really wondered when you started with drawing seriously. I mean, I take it everyone here have always know that they always have been able to draw better than average, but when did you take the conclusion that you actually wanted to get better and started practicing with drawing instead of just doodleing some?
    To me, I became a lot more interested in drawing last year (when I just turned 16), but I've decided to really put some more effort in it (doing studies and drawing a lot more) about a month ago.

The point is, I just want to know if I have the possibility to become as good as you guys.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ios View Post
    The point is, I just want to know if I have the possibility to become as good as you guys.
    Of course you do. You would be able to if you started drawing at the age of 30. all that matters is your level of dedication. =)

I started drawing seriously when I was close to 15. I was 14, but like 3 months away from 15 I think. That was when I submitted my application to my arts High School. During that summer I drew more, and in beginning of the school year at my new school I found conceptart. I think If I hadn't found CA, I wouldn't be half the artist I am now.

I'm a couple months away from 16 now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since the day i could hold a pencil. always drawing but only started studying technique seriously in the past 6 mnths or so

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was 21. Then I didnt draw for about 5 years. Started taking it seriously about a year ago. Im 28 now

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    About six actually. My mother bought me my first art book when I was seven or eight, and I think I still have it. My friends were all surprised I was allowed to have a book with nudes in it...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If practising on still life could be called drawing seriously then propably 16. I think I tried to learn anatomy from a book much earlier but it was really slow progress. Now I'm 24.

Last edited by Farvus; August 15th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 year ago (17)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm far away to be a good artist but I started reading a book on last october. I then draw a bit till March and I started getting serious about it when I found the Loomis book. So let's say, I was 27, oh wait, im still 27!

Wish I could go back in time to do what I'm doing right now, but at your age, 15.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Well>>>>

Since I remember, now I'm 27.Back in the day, my teacher always compliment me about the way I draw, but as you I keep learning about art, it's something you got for life. The way I see it, you never finish learning

M3nDozZa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Age 8. Like the ol' catman, I had a supportive Mom, turned me loose with her oils and her three-volume correspondence course from Famous Artists (faculty included Normal Rockwell, Ben Stahl, Al Dorne, and many other illuminati of the commercial art world of the day). First painting I remember was a pheasant flushed by a hunter, basically a copy of an illo in one of my Dad's old Field & Stream mags.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At 13 I suppose I was drawing a bit more serious than I was, but it wasn't until 17 that I saw the importance of life drawing... This forum was a great influence on that.

~goma14
    =Help an artist out!=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also a factor is if stop drawing for awhile. I had wanted to be an engineer, and focused more on academics. I still took art, but didn't put as much time into it. All I'm saying is even if someone starts early, they might not necessarily be as developed because of being sidetracked.

Anyway, if the defintion of taking art seriously is attempting to get better, I'd have to say that I just started. Back in middle school, I did art, but I never really pushed myself or did any kind of anatomical or structural studies. Actually... I still don't...

So I'm not sure how to answer, heh.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I first joined this site when I was 20. Though I was trying a little bit to practice, I don't think I could consider it being serious. I seriouly started about a year ago (21)when I started my sketchbook. It wasn't until this past winter though that I made my first actual breakthrough and progression. That's when I REALLY got into it, almost needing to get to my sketchbook as often as I could for fear of falling behind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, because I must admit to myself that I didn't try hard enough before (though I was serious), I really started being more serious about art a couple years ago. I'm 27, and just getting my feet wet. All the other years I did art, I did my best, but I think I was holding back in fear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started at 11. My parents let me take (nude!) figure drawing classes in 7th grade, and it just snowballed from there. Sadly, I was a lot more creative before I was old enough to be self-conscious about my work. But I guess that's the case for everyone, isn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I knew I wanted to be an artist at.... 11. but I didn't know I wanted to be a concept artist until I was 12, and I got serious about it at 13, 3 months from 14. I've been drawing like crazy since.

Senira, *blinks* your parents let you take nude figure drawing at 11!? man! So, it was nude live models and everything. My goodness.
    That would have been awkward studying a naked man as a little girl......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    About six actually. My mother bought me my first art book when I was seven or eight, and I think I still have it. My friends were all surprised I was allowed to have a book with nudes in it...
    Wow, what supportive parents you have.

I've always being drawing. I was always the 'good artist' in the class (no longer valid, unfortunately ). None of that was serious study, though.
    I started drawing seriously in 2006, also when I began my classical animation course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I dunno. I been drawing since 3, and knew I wanted to be a comic artist when I was ten. Of course I "know" now that that's a ridiculous choice for a career. But what the hell, I'm still trying to do it, and I even got a few books ready to be published.

Honestly, my parents were kind of dicks, sure they liked that I could draw, and they'd buy me sketchbooks and pencils whenever, but paints? Not a chance. Kinda pisses me off, to be honest. No pastels, no charcoal, no oils, no acrylics, all there was were crayons. Fuck crayons. Goddamned art-Nazis. Bah well.

Sorry for the swearin, but I had to at least get that off my chest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing since 13, am 18 now. I knew long before that I was okay at art, but it hadn't ever occurred to me that I could be good at art, then one day I drew a face. Total shitting waste of paper looking back, but it seemed to click that art was actually a talent and more than just a way to waste time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i was 4 my mum gave me a sheet of paper and a biro and told me to go play while she talked to her friends. i've been drawing every day since. I'm 16 now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i have a drawing from when i was 7..its a fairly convincing drawing of a tv .. ive been drawing semi-seriously since about the age of 7 but ive been doing things properly in terms of studying and concepting--i designed a go kart for a school project and me and some freinds built it ..came 3rd out of 32 in bourough race --for about a year but getting even more serious quite recently..around december '06 found this site then, joined in january..or febuary i think but ive been improving BIG TIIMMMEEE since joining here people have been so hepfull..its been invaluble experience.. *sniff* thank you conept art.org!!!!*sniff*

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    since i was very small... don't remember exactly but i'd say 3. My mom gave me some crayons and paper, and now i'm stealing them from her ... hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    since i was very small... don't remember exactly but i'd say 3. My mom gave me some crayons and paper, and now i'm stealing them from her ... hehe

GO FOR HER PURSE ITS MUCH MORE REWARDING

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno...ever since I could hold a pencil. My mom still got pictures I drew when I was like 5 or 6, and they were pretty damn good. My parents were encouraging...they gave me an art kit stuffed full of acrylic and oil paints and also some Prismcolor pencils (they used to be called Venus, btw) I drew and sketched a lot in classrooms all up through high school...didn't get serious about technique until few years ago. Now I'm 37 and trying to get better and break into the industry (yup...need extra money to pay bills!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Data_Strings View Post
    Also a factor is if stop drawing for awhile. I had wanted to be an engineer, and focused more on academics. I still took art, but didn't put as much time into it. All I'm saying is even if someone starts early, they might not necessarily be as developed because of being sidetracked.

Anyway, if the defintion of taking art seriously is attempting to get better, I'd have to say that I just started. Back in middle school, I did art, but I never really pushed myself or did any kind of anatomical or structural studies. Actually... I still don't...

So I'm not sure how to answer, heh.
    Just wanted to come in to say that even if you have been side-tracked in your studies, like engineering, it will still help in your studies and drawings of machines, vehicles and architecture most likely, you'll have a more developed understanding that others wont. A good idea is to take your interests to your art as personal pieces, if you love engineering and that stuff (I didnt do engineering or any of that, didnt pass my VCE [victorian certificate of education], but I'd love to), it can give you an edge and a base to start drawing from.

Just like if you were to be studying as a doctor or someone within the medical proffession, you'll likely have a much more intricate understanding of the muscles and anatomy of a human, or a vetinary - for animals. If you did have a previous line of study that wasnt art, don't completely disregard it, it all mingles in well depending on what you want to draw.

Also toward the OP; If theres something you've always wanted to do other than art, read up on it as much as possible, take short courses on it if its available, atleast the work involved wont be too focused on art and you'll have a bit of breathing space to get over your mental block and let yourself draw when you feel like it rather than toward a deadline (though this is a very important skill you'll need to learn later, working by deadlines and structuring your work patterns). If you are still in school and are having trouble with these mental blocks, Try not to fall into the trap of making up your entire class schedule as art classes, if you're that committed and can work like that then go for gold man, but when I tried it I screwed up big time because I was a perfectionist and stubborn little shit , having said that everyone isnt the same, you may find the extra pressure to be very encouraging.

I drew throughout primary school on a very casual basis, they were often just isometric-looking battlescenes and very blocky things, was always into robots cause they just seemed so cool at the time, inanimate objects moving an such. I then stopped at around 12 for about 3 years of no drawing whatsoever because I didnt seem to be interested in it.. At 16 I realised I wanted to persue art as a career but had been pretty lax about it, I think its taken me about 3 years (19) just to get my ass into gear and get over other personal problems. Im 20 now and currently doing a full time contemporary arts course at TAFE which is a pre-req for another full time visual arts course I want to get into.

Like Ilaekae, I also have pretty supportive parents, though not trying to take it for granted there are other people whos parents seem to shun the art proffession and are reluctant to support it or outright dont want to. It only means you're going to have to be more resourceful and assertive in your studies, and try to educate your parents in what your doing when the times' right (or not at all if theyer totally against it).

Hope this helps some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started doodling when I was 12. Everywhere I go I'm always drawing. I would be drawing whatever I just saw from the movies, TV shows or pictures from magazines. I never took drawing seriously or tried educating myself more about it then. When you're growing up theres just too much going on and I never had a focus on Art.

Later on, after quiting job, my boss gave me a going away present, which was an Art set that included a huge sketchbook and a bunch of pencils. Since then I started studying Art more and I realized that it was sooooooooo broad. Now I'm 24 and most of my time are spent on either drawing or learning Art. Theres just too much distractions nowadays geezzzz.

refine your skills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey

im 21.5 now,

i took art in my last year of high school. previous to that, i was ALWAYS going to be a creative writer (i still love to write). So my first (ever) drawing was when i was 18. I got high marks for art so decided to pursue it. First paid gigs were cheap things whilst in college at 18. I dropped out of college when i was 19 cos i was getting more work and uni in australia is balls

Got my first concept gig when i was almost 20, and just recently i got art director position (albeit for a comparatively small company). I turned 21 in march.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started drawing seriously when I turned 16, just turned 19.
    Wish I started learning anatomy sooner...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have been drawing since kindergarten. still have a book of it. Wanted to be a Graphic designer (the only art job I knew that wasn't "Cartoonist") in 6th grade. Somehow looked up "Concept art" on google. Found Feng Zhu (many people's 1st concept artist) in December of 04, then found his links page which brought me here in February or march of 05. Started drawing seriously at 14, found this place, started drawing VERY seriously at 15 and 3 months. I'm 17.5 now =)

Go look up Hurricane. He started drawing when he was 20. Look where he is now.

Look up MindCandyman. Probably the #1 source of inspiration in this entire community.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    Go look up Hurricane. He started drawing when he was 20. Look where he is now.

Look up MindCandyman. Probably the #1 source of inspiration in this entire community.
    Linked for the sake of curtesy, below, theyer deffinately worth looking into.

Mindcandyman's SB

Hurricane's SB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10