Thanks

What makes a good website for employers?

Recently I totally changed my website for the 5th time (www.caponeart.com), in a year or two I hope it will earn me a interview (as well as qualifications of course ) so I really need to know any kind of advice you can share on making a website with aims such as mine.

I also need to put contact details and personal info on, is putting a full cv on over the top?, or should I just put on my qualifications?...

Also if anyone has a link to what they believe is a site which meets my aims, be it yours, a freinds or a employee then I would like to see

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I second this request........................

Thanks
    Check out my own humble site for ideas.

http://www.fabpics.com/leo

I'm currently designing a new one and I'll post on the "Finished work" thread as soon as its up but it will take 2 more weeks of work or so.

I have gotten work based on this site, but its only a teaser and I save some stuff for the interview.

Good luck,
    Leo

PS The blur effect on the buttons is perhaps better in reverse, after all the menu opions are the first thing that clients are trying to read.

And also the top header tag line isn't neccessary, just confusing, the text didn't mean anyhting to me.

Good luck,
    Leo
    www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    nice webiste but... at the bottom in the "special thanks to" there is a typo on george lucas :chug:

Thanks
    Hello,
    My Site is in it's third version, and i think its my best so far- any suggestions?
    My url is:

http://www.digitalgannon.com
    Jonathan Nascone
    Digital Artsit
    http://www.digitalgannon.com

Thanks

nice sites guys

Heres my hubble site its not fancy but its not bad to look at and the nav is easy to use.

And ya like the thread starter said is there any good examples any one has I know a few and took some ideas and am planning to revamp soon; if you want some good examples go to my links page

any way this is my second site and I'm pretty happy with it although I've had no responses yet but I will probably after I revamp it lol

Thanks

Lightbulb

Erg.. I wanted to look at your site, sparrow, but the pop ups pissed me off.

Gannon, nice and tight. Easy to navigate, catchy visuals. I want to see more stuff besides chicks and monsters in your sketches gallery. One of my favorites is the concept for the castle, its so loose and flowery it doesn't look like the same artist did it. Do you have sketches for the rooms you modeled for white-knuckle? It could help to put those in your gallery so potential employers know you can concept other stuff in edition to Bad ass monsers and hot chix.

Capone Very solid design. I agree the buttons could use some work, but the blurring effect is nice. It would be interesting to see more personal information on the site. Like a general description of yourself and some satements about why a company should hire you.

Thanks
    hi. here's my site while we're at it. if anyone sees any problems with it, please let me know. much obliged!
    jenniferrodgers.com

Thanks
    s'pose i'll show my site too!

its not really finished as i still have alot of art to upload, and i'm gonna get rid of some of my earlier work

http://www.cartoonfox.hostrocket.com

any c&c welcome.

thanks.

Milpitas, California, United States, Earth
    Thanks
    While my website is in no way, shape, or form designed to net me any kind of illustrator position (it's just a personal webpage, yo), I do a lot of scouting for the various companies I do gaming freelance for, as well as for potential art recruits for my own teensy publishing group (once it gets off the ground fully, we'll need artists, after all). The folks that I have managed to get contracts or contacts for generally have the following traits on their webpage:

*Ease of navigation. If you have to go more than two pages in to the site to get any sort of design sense about the artist, I have noticed, these people don't get called by the folks I'm throwing them at.

*Proper spelling and grammar. You can be the next Jim Lee, but if you can't spell the words on your site properly, and use proper grammar, the odds are that the people I direct to your site won't want to offer you a contract for fear you won't be able to understand it.

*Variation. If you only do one thing, the odds are that you'll only get a few contracts, if any. Nearly every RPG company I have scouted folks for has given me a "no go" on people that only do one type of art. Doesn't matter if you can do Fantasy Warriors just like Frazetta (well, okay, that might!), if it's all you do, odds are you're not going to get more contracts. More contracts = more name recognition, which is good.

*Show your progress pieces. Jenn has a Process page in which she shows what she goes through on her site. It's very useful for people to see what you go through, so they have some idea what you can do and in what stages. Someone might want what you consider an unfinished, crappy piece of work, you never know!

*Keep your site tight. Bells and whistles are all fine and well if you're going for a web design job, but really, if you're trying to sell your art, you want that to be the main focus of your page, not how many rollovers and shockwave files you've got.

Those are the essentials, as far as I've found in doing my scouting, that most folks want to see. Keep in mind (DISCLAIMER!) that I've only done scouting for a very defined market - tabletop roleplaying games - and that the people that make up the employers in that market are a strange and cagey breed. We're all weirdos, I tells ya.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps.

-JEM
    So... What would you little
    maniacs like to do first?

Thanks
    Yeah -Jem kinda says it all. Navigation is the key. The people who are looking through your work, will also have work of their own to get through, so they want a quick and easy site. I think there's also an 8 second rule - if a user has to wait more than 8 seconds - they're off. it's somethng born out of our culture - everything is fast nowadays, and attention spans have shortened.

I wouldnt say my site will win any awards, but Ive kept it simple. Though still easy to navigate, it used to be much more complex, with each subsection having its own page, but now Ive simplified it all to 4 pages.(not counting links page)

with it's faults I would say it probably will have some slow loading times on lesser internet browers, but my site is aimed at employers who I expect would have a pretty decent kit. However Im still careful not to over do it.

Ultimatley, for me, practical with a nod of design. One of the other things I did was when I started at the thumbnail images was I did what everyone else did - crop a section into an abstract image, but then I felt, well, 1: everyone else did that, so it got boring, and 2: - I prefered to give the viewer better info at what to expect, so with the most recent updated work, they see a miniture version of the image. this is probably, just me.

Im not keen on numbers instead of a thumbnail image - if I dont have much time to view the site, I want to glance through the ones I like the look of most. I dont want to wait for an image to download only to find its not something I would get excited about - this is kinda related to the point above where the number or abstract image are as bad as each other for me.

Ive put up my CV in 3 different formats, plus a downloadable show reel - I didnt have that up while I had a job, but now its there for ease and the convenience of a potential employer. Means they have all the info at their finger tips rather than have to wait for it in the post - which if Im sending overseas, could take over a week, but then you're potentially forgotten.
    I do have my qualifcations (though only on the rich text format at the mo - I could'nt seem to re-save over the other formats )

Leopoldo - I like your style. your character concepts and storyboards remind me of Moebius' work.

my site. Hope to re-design as soon as I have a breath, but it seems to be doing ok for now...
    Last edited by jezelf; October 10th, 2003 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

Content is King

Hi Capone.

So far so good! I'm also making, re-making that is, my own webpage and I understand your frustrations.

From what I see, it looks like you are a talented artist who has skills/interests in all areas of design. Promising stuff.

I like your website because it's simple, and it's simple and, also, it's simple. Your images/pages download quickly. The images are clean and crisp (Though, I'm not a fan of the blurry effect of the text, it's not consistent with the overall feel of your site). I like that you have captions explaining your work.

Looks and format aside, I believe that content is king. Sometimes I think artists/wannabes over compensate for their poor drawing/rendering skills by creating sexy-super-savvy webpages. Unless, I guess, if you want to be a web designer... I like that your webpage doesn't over power/compete with your art work.

Here's an example of a webpage that's low on design but high in content: www.goodbrush.com
    It's Craig Mullin's site... okay, he's webpage is not the greatest but his work... his work is insanely good.

OOkay before I leave you, here's a link containing... more links to other artists/illustrators... you can check out their sites and see what works and what doesn't... okay I'll stop talking

Now.

p.s. What didn't you like about your four previous web portfolios?
    Last edited by M0ND0; October 11th, 2003 at 12:59 AM.

Milpitas, California, United States, Earth
    Thanks

Re: Content is King

Originally posted by M0ND0
    Here's an example of a webpage that's low on design but high in content: www.goodbrush.com
    It's Craig Mullin's site... okay, he's webpage is not the greatest but his work... his work is insanely good.
    Craig Mullins is a deity of some sort, I am certain of it.

The man's work on the Marathon series colored my perceptions of reality for many, many years (still does).

-JEM
    So... What would you little
    maniacs like to do first?

Thanks
    Im no concept artist (I wish) but here is my site. www.giantpixel.com

Thanks

Moebius

Thanx Jezelf,

Yeah, Moebius work is indeed an ocean of inspiration for me. I love his work, his gentle yet confident line work and his marvelous colors.

Bon travail,
    Leopoldo
    www.fabpics.com

Thanks
    Capone and anyone else who questions their site design,

wouldn't make sense to just check out the sites of professionals that are doing what you aim to do? There must be one or two out there that have a basic or flashed out site that you can draw inspiration from to see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks
    QUALITY CONTENT

even in HTML 1.0 on gray BG.

Thanks
    heres
    mine ...im a newb to the forum..its cool tho..i like it here...

not concept more general...concept coming soon tho....this place inspired me

Thanks
    Hey all I just got my new site up and I'm quite happy with it, Its my third one.
    If you have some time leave me a comment or just take a look and enjoy.

btw Theres no more pop ups or banners whoot just my site.

click on my sig to get there.

Thanks

Web site

JackSparrow,

I would recommend that you use the full spread of the page to show your work. There are an awful lot of scrollbars everywhere that are required to see your work now.

Perhaps you should use a large page spread to show off your work, I think it would give it justice.

Otherwise, nice illustrations.
    Leopoldo

www.fabpics.com/leo
    www.fabpics.com

Thanks
    Leopoldo Thanks for the tips, and actually I was thinking about changing that to, I've seen allot of people with that kinda of pop up page and decided to try it but I think I'm going to go with another idea which would work better I think just have to figure out how to do it, I have time next week so I might do it then if my brain can wrap around my idea.

I have some questions if anyone would be willing to give me some input. Then I'll explain what I want to do.

1. How do you like the home page? does it work well or should I change it from a scroll bar to a whole page similar to my first site home page.

2. How is the index page is it to formal or even uninviting, I want people to feel comfortable but still understand that I need to protect my work.

K well that all I'm really wondering. Now what I want to do with the gallerys themselfs is have the thumbs in a layer that you can scoll sideways thourgh and when you click on one the image appears above the thumbnails, so when you clic on a thumb it will change the picture currently there. Although I might not be able to do any write ups or title for my pictures.
    Well this is just an idea if you have some feed back, or more ideas for my site I would be very appreciative.
    Thank you:trippy:

btw if you want a good example of what I'm thinking of check out digitalgannon's site.
    Last edited by JackSparrow; December 10th, 2003 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks

What do employers look for...

Firstly, I'm not a concept artist, I just lurk here for inspiration and to remind myself where I sit within the artist foodchain.

I do have a successful business, and visionized.com is the key to it all. After 3 years of building a presence and a brand through the site, I think I can offer some thoughts.

Employers expect:

1) Your own domain without popups. If you can't afford to do that, don't. Painful but true, free hosts with their additional tags, popups, and advertising cheapen your rep.

2) Answer their question of what you can do within the first page. Forget entrance graphic pages, forget flash. CDs don't have time to tool through that just to get the answer to your style and abilities.

3) Make sure each and every page has HTML based text copy. Bots, spiders and google utilize every word for staging within their search results. Graphics do not affect page hits and search results.

4) Utilize an architecture that allows you to direct link to graphics and pages within your site to include in emailed proposals and RFI communication. Point them directly to what they are looking for NOT your front page.

5) Easy navigation within your site.

6) Make sure your subpages are templatized in such a manner that no matter where they are they know visually they are still inside YOUR SITE.

7) Make sure all enlarged graphic examples open as a child window.

8) Do have a page of full contact information.

9) Never let an email inquiry sit in your inbox longer than 24 hours. EVER.

10) Make sure you have a secure FTP ability offered for your clients to access mockup viewing, data sharing for the project, and DLing final project files.

We built visionized with C# .NET. All images are stored in a database for FAST upload. All nav buttons are preloaded.

CODE FOR SPEED. Get a host with solid hardware and techsupport infrastructure. It's worth the cost. I highly recommend RJSNetworks.