Sketchbook: Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).

g'day, i am warpy. a year plus ago i started learning how to draw in a local studio here. i am basically reposting everything i posted in my cgtalk thread, i feel that its time to get some more professional perspective and this site is the place.

i am gonna paste most of the posts on cgtalk one by one until today, hopefully this will help someone and from this point on i'll start posting anything new.

Lesson 1:

so here i am at the new studio, my first lesson was 4.5 hours..
    my teacher's name is george.. so from now on i'll just call he george, easy right ?

now you must remember that i have started drawing couple of years ago and before i went to the first lesson i was prepared to do the BASICS all over again! i cant stress this enough, if you dont know your basics then nothing is going to work properly for you in the future.

so i have about a month of doing basic drawings and to tell you the truth its pretty fun..

for the first hour and a half he talked to me about many things, tried to see where i am headed with this and if i am serious, a good teacher will want you to sit in his class and just waste your time while giving him money, he will want you to put hours and hours of work into your drawing skills. he will even give you homework.

so he tells me to draw this doggy doll in 10 minutes, i have never done a drawing under 30 minutes and i wasnt comfortable with this, but i still did it.. 10 minutes passed and now he tells me to doodle (he called this "gesture" i dont know the proper name for this.. but we can call this doodling.
    so anyways i am doodling this doggy doll, i did about 10 doodling, each took 1 minute, its all about the contour and not the actual drawing, this is suppose to give your drawing some animation, doodling will make you see the dynamic movement of a still object (people trace it afterwards to get a better shape) but the whole thing is realy about capturing movement.

as you can see, the first picture is the one i did in 10 minutes, and the rest are the doodling that imo are actually better.. they do show the movement or the dynamic pose of the doggy doll..

i was pretty happy with how this was and we continued..

Lesson 2:

next thing we practiced shading, we did this gradient row of squares shading it with the pencil and then going from the second square to the last one, while adding more graphite to it, then from the 3rd square to the last one, this way we get a nice gradient.. this was good practice and was done because next i was suppose to take a bunch of boxes and shade them.

first i did some thumbnailing to see what the shading on the bigger version is going to look like, i actually moved myself in the process to get a different angle that suited me better.

this is suppose to be a lesson about shading, shading boxes, making them look 3d with respect to the enviroment and themselves and learning how to use the pencil to get 12 variation of color.

you can see that there are reflections, shading, shadows, and each plane of the box is receiving a different shade color, over all there should be atleast 12 shading colors.
    the first set of boxes is what i did in class, the second one is what i did on my own time as homework..

i started with a low level color, and started to give each surface its own shade, then i tried to balance the whole picture, keeping in mind that the strengh of light is different on each surface, so if 2 surfaces started to look the same color, i added more color to the darker one, thus balancing the whole picture to a finished state.

Lessons learned :
    1. the background coloring pushes the boxes and makes them look 3d
    2. shadows also have reflections (like in a pool)
    3. there is no need for hard edges, with just color variation between surfaces,
    the actual feeling you get without hard edges is so much better, look at the small
    box and you will see that there is no hard edge realy, but it looks hard edged..
    4. you must stay inside the frame, although you can go out of it and erase afterwards,
    but the end result should be inside the frame.

Lesson 3:

now i am a full time student, i am studying computer science and well.. i have so many classes, so in my classes i started doing my drawing homework, i dont realy write in class so what is better than to draw

did a few doodles of people around campus (moving people, this doodle is so quick that you can actually doodle walking people) i also went to the anatomy thread of icey and doodled his drawings.

the mistakes i did were that i shouldnt have just drawn the out line of the body, george says that i should doodle like a kid and do the insides which is MORE important, because it captures the animation of the object, later on you can select your edges from that same doodle and do something fancy with it, according to him (and he supplied proof) a lot of the old masters did this.

Lesson 4:

from now on for the 10 first minutes of the drawing lesson i should do 10 quick doodles, there are many ways to do this, because i am in a class with a few other people, they are constantly moving, so its 1 drawing per minute of someone ...

as you can see i corrected my mistake and now the bodies are not hollow, they have doodly lines in them.

the lesson continuted and today i am suppose to do cylinders, cylinders as opposed to cubes has smooth gradient, they dont have surfaces that just take different shade of gray.
    remember that adding shadow to the end result gives it a better 3d looks.

Instructions :

1. do a bunch of cylinders and do the shading properly, full gradient with the 12 gradient colors but the transition has to be smooth.
    2. make sure i have done the inside of the cylinder, as you can see its actually backwards because the light source is hitting the inside of the cylinder on the farthest side and not on the front.
    3. add the return light to the back of the cylinder, this light should not be as strong as the shading on the front of the cylinder.

Lesson 5:

i am realy getting to like this whole gesturing thing, doodling is nice and you draw an incredible amount of things, this helped me understand how to make a still figure appear as if its moving.. its quite nice and if you doodle in campus its the best excuse to stare at girls without it being all weird

here are some of the boxes i did as homework before lesson 4, imo it looks good
    dont forget to do your homework or else there is no point in going to class !!

some more homework for last week :

this week i learned how to make spheres, a sphere is a simple circle shaded in such a way that you make it look like a ball. the instructions i was given for shading the sphere were
    that a sphere is like a a few cylinders grouped together in parallel and you shade each of them until you get the illusion of the sphere (dont forget to add shadow and reflection to make it look pretty and 3d)

how to make a sphere :
    Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).

my attempts :

i still have to do more spheres for the next lesson, so i'll update as soon as i finished them spheres.

i have also taken the time to doodle this nice girl who was sleeping on a bench, here are the results

Lesson 6:

class was cancelled last week so i had the time to drew some more, its not much but the spheres are getting easier
    i actually have better stuff but i'll post it later on.

Lesson 7:

so you ask what happened from the last time ?
    quite a lot actually, i have had 2 lessons and i have done some homework,

in lesson #5 i will explain how to measure objects that you look at, this method will help us understand what PRESPECTIVE is.

i have tried to draw flat objects and simple chairs, in the next example you will see first attemps at doing those flat objects.

you can clearly see that this chair 2 horizons points that you can use to build your prespective grid (i hope thats the right term) at this point i wont mention prespective much, a lot has been written on it so its probably best to find the detailed info regarding prespective else where, instead i would concentrate on measuring, here is the prespective as i saw it while drawing.

this is the point where i'll do my best and explain how to do all the measuring, the method requires you to hold a pencil in a perfect horizontaly or verticaly and for each edge you see on the shape you are drawing find out how much they size up and related to each other, we measure the distances from each other, we measure the angles (doesnt have to be exact but has to look the same), we make sure it follows the prespective invisible lines.

here is an example :

Lesson 8:

okay, so we made it this far, in this lesson I had to draw negative space and measure it, the following picture will explain everything.

FIRST ATTEMPS:

OTHER ATTEMPS :

TODAY'S DRAWING :

AS YOU CAN SEE, things are better now, but what i realy hate about this is squinting my eyes so much.
    it hurts badly.. so on with the next lesson

Lesson 9:

i did not stop doodling and gesture drawing, here are some of the results.

Last edited by warpy; August 10th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lesson 10:

so what is modelling, its not what you think it is, its not about 3d. the general idea is to put more graphite on parts of the objects which are farther away from you, its not about light, or proper shading, its just about the pressure you put on the pencil to make farther parts of the objects appear far. yea its simple as that.

i will probably elaborate more on this in the following weeks.

cheers.

Lesson 11:

today i decided to watch war of the worlds again, i tend to watch movies and if i see that one of the actors is in a good pose i will try to keep it in my head and draw it on the paper,
    today i did a whole lot of gesturing and than after the movie ended i went back over them and tried to darken the parts that are farther away from me, i am very pleased with the results.

i have attached 2 pics, the first shows the results i am most pleased with.the second one shows gestures i liked less
    in the second pic anything circled in black is good. in the first pic anything circled in red is bad while the rest is cool enough to be proud of.

first picture :

second picture :

Lesson 12:

i am gonna stick to modelling the next few weeks, try to incorporate some measuring and gestures with it.

some improvements in my sketching imo.

pillow, rough gesturing, modelling.

some primitives, modelling.

Lesson 13:

yeah i know its been a while, i actually had lots of projecs for school plus i did this orc for the blizzard contest, check my signature for the link

the last couple of lessons were fairly hard to understand. it started with a gesture of the monkey, teddy, doll. then i had to use the modeling technique on it (farther == darker, closer = whiter, imagin a spotlight from the front on your object!, or in a 3d app its your normal viewport lighting)
    while taking into account the light and shadow on them.
    so still the modeling rules apply but sometimes if you see some more shadows, where in the traditional modeling it should be white (its closer to you, but its shadowed), you had to take that into account and draw that shadow.

after that i had to put an extra paper on the drawing and draw the outline on a glass window, this simulates the light table we all know and gives us better tracing results of the outline.

in the teddy drawing, the first is the light/shadow modeling (using B pencil), the second is the outlined teddy with a blocking method of modelling on primitive geometric shapes (using an HB pencil). i have to say that the second teddy is not properly done using those primitives, i should have used the actual shape of the teddy and where there were hard transitions i would draw different colors on those shapes (exactly like in a cube) and when i get softer transitions, like the palm, i would paint it like i would have a sphere. as you can see i didnt, i just had fun making him look like something else

in the doll drawing, the first is the light/shadow modeling (using B pencil), the second is the outlined doll on the new page using an HB pencil, we use the HB pencil to create very mild light and shadow (using modeling) i still havent mastered this, so its kind of hard to explain, but after this stage where you add very faint volume mass, l&s, i will need to create the details, it wouldnt be by painting it hard with the tip of the pencil, i would still draw it with the soft graphite tone using the HB pencil.

Lesson 14:

quick drawing, 1.5 hours, homework for today's class. based on my mom's statue.

todays doll in class, i dont like this one.

Lesson 15:

happy !! i did this last night and even in the pictures it looks good, took 4 pictures, 2 are at the before stage using my phone camera, quality sux so thats why i posted 2 of the "before".

there are 2 more of the after, taken during day time. i realy like the result, but i am still
    asking for non obvious crits.

*i also changed the legs because i didnt like it how the statue had it. this proved to be annoying.
    *i just noticed that the drawing are a bit tilted and the shoulders dont allign like in the statue, so use your imagination for that
    *the lighting was a lamp light coming directly ontop of the statue and it was night outside.
    *the picture of the statue was taken this morning, while the drawing was in the night, please dont compare the lighting situation!

step 2 :

step 1 :

Lesson 16:

okay its been a while but i have an update and no i didnt quit, i actually enjoy it

here is the statue i was doing, this version is simple modelling with light and shadow, i explained about this somewhere in pages 2-4.

to achieve this version i had to put a white paper on top of the picture above and draw the curves (outlines) of it. then i looked at the reference and the drawing i did and used the same modelling technique but shaded nicely not with stokes of lines, i started from a very pale look and built my way up from there, this one took quite a while, i'd say 6 lessons for both drawings.

i have the "anatomy for the artist by.. forgot her name" and this picture seemed to be good and easy enough to do for my next piece. the original sketch was 20 minutes and it looked very much like this one, but had proportional problems and a bit less depth, i added 2 more hours to fix it and the result is what you see:

so what next ? my teacher calls it the classic method, its exactly what i did with the statue but i am not using a white paper that i traced the outline after the initial sketch, i am actually using this transparent paper, dont know the english name for it. i am using 2 papers. on the first paper i did the outline, on the second paper i am drawing the body.
    again, i am starting from a very pale pencil look and building up, looking at the reference and using the modelling technique to shade it. there are no real rules to it right now, i kind of do it from instinct, from what i am seeing..

outline: layer 1:

modelling: layer2:

any questions ??

one more step with the details etc..

Lesson 17:

bought a thingie to hold all my pencils, and a few mechanical pencils, plus some more work on the man. here it is.

Lesson 18:

so i am kind of tired looking and doing the same thing for a month and a half now, about 18 hours total on this pic give or take. so anyways this guy should be sitting on a table, i am too lazy to actually that single table edge, so you have to imagine it! this is as hi quality as i can get this. hope you like.

next thing i plan on doing is caprica 6 from battlestar galactica. (tricia helfer on google)

here is the ref i used, yes i know there are proportional issues, i will work on them later on.. promise

Lesson 19:

yea its been a while, i had my hopes on doing tricia helfer, i actually drew her head several times, but i did not get the results i wanted. last night i had my mind set on doing another body anatomy, its a bit easier than faces at the moment, so i picked one and in 15-20 minutes i managed to get it to a nice looking start.

reference used :

attempt 1 of 3 (the other two are not worth showing here), its a bit skewed from the
    snapshot:

female body reference #1:

female body anatomy #1:

thats it, crits welcome, even if its a realy early stage.

Lesson 20:

its been quite a while, i have done some game art and i am trying to finish my degree this year, so these things have taken quite a toll on my drawings, i do have a little time to draw. so i did this 2 hour session, you can see how WIPee it is.

the quality is realy bad, my good camera doesnt have any batteries and as you know i dont realy scan so please do your best to imagine all the gradients that somehow got pixelated in the drawing.

on the right is my drawing, on the left, anthony ryder's piece. i bought his book a couple of months back, i wouldnt recommend it to people who dont know how to draw, but for the little bit advanced people, its worth a read. there are some excellent examples and information that realy explains the real life side of shadow, shade, light, art..

my plan is to take a few of his drawings and draw them so that my skill can improve.

another 2.5 hours on this study.plus a little bit of help from my teacher, 10 minute help to smear the boundaries on the mouth and close the eye shape.

Lesson 21:

another week another drawing, i am trying to tackle something with hair this time,
    its kind of hard at this point. hopefully it will be easier faster than usual

i am thinking about trying oils, but its a bit time consuming at this point so maybe as a cheap and faster replacement i'll buy a few colored pencils, will keep on drawing and still be able to practice color.

cheers,

Lesson 22:

another friday, another wip.
    this time i was trying to find an easier pic, instead of tracing the lines i decided to create them myself, practice scale, angles, proportion etc..
    it took 2 hours and 20 minutes to get this far, its realy harder, i would have probably finish these hands if i had traced the original. update next week.
    i did NOT work on any detail yet, i am just trying to capture the gesture and proportion of it all, a few mistakes here and there, but hopefully these will be fixed

Lesson 23:

a couple more hours on the drawing, its starting to shape up

Lesson 24:

2.5 more hours on it, and things are starting to shape right (at last)
    as you can see lots more contrast, nose is detailed, ear more detailed, hair more detailed, etcetcetc..

i have taken these 2 pictures of the same drawing in 2 light situations, there is a slight difference in detail, anyways here she is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lesson 25:

okay, 4 more hours, its starting to shape up and it looks better heh.
    i wish i had a scanner but here it is a crappy photo taken with my camera.
    the detail work doesnt show with this camera, so here is the previous vs the new one.
    prev vs new
    Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).Learning How to Draw, Warpy's Journal (Image Heavy).

does anyone like it so far ?

i saw hennings method of painting stuff in grayscale and then coloring it,
    so i was thinking to myself that is something that i can do.
    i am always worried that i cant transfer my skills to photoshop with traditional painting.
    this time i tried photoshop with 3 brush types, round and round with fuzzy edges and a chalk one. i didnt like the round one, and the fuzzy edges one didnt work for me,
    the chalk one is the closest one that looked like the study texture. so with the help of predifined contour lines and ctrl+f for a bit of noise. i took a couple of hours and tried to replicated one of my pencil studies. it actually took faster than i anticipated and easier than i thought it would be, i am not going to jump on the color boat just yet, i might colorize it later but for now i'll just use the regular skills i have with a pencil but on digital.

if it works for hennings, why shouldnt it work for me ?
    2 hours into the study:
    1 hour into the study:

umm, veronika my muse rocks !
    wip, 1-2 hours maybe ? what do you think ??

1 or 2 more hours, didnt count.

hairs duh

okay, total of 8 hours. i wanted to achieve 90% accuracy not for it to be perfect.
    i am going to post this as a finished piece in the gallery. crits are welcome.
    i am pretty happy for my second ever photoshop painting.

cheers.

Original:

2 boobs now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some photo manipulation and a bit of painting fun, nothing serious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay... love the studies! keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    original line work by jason scott campbell, the line work you are looking at is a study some local did. and i decided to paint on top.

muse study, hopefully i'll finish this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay so i decided to venture into comics a bit more. some guy from deviant art whose signature is at the top of the page did the lines, i just painted.

lots of thanks goes to lin and neb for the support.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some eye studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a couple of new gestures.. the first is realy nice. the receptionist on the phone (can you tell ?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    matte painting thingie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay i am trying to do something here, see if i can take everything i know so far into game characters, the head was done by jason .s, the texture by me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay so i bought 12 oil colors, stand, paletter knife. doing a little test before i go back to studying.

instructions:
    i cant use brushes, i have to mix the colors on the canvas. 2-3 hours into this so far.

---------

things i discovered: oil with a/c on dries over night, oil left on the palette stiffens but not dries.. just on the outside. painting on the canvas and painting on a painted canvas feels differently and reacts differently, the color below gives a realy good feeling when you paint, the paint doesnt smooth over and you can paint the depth that you want to convey.

should i put the tubes far away from the a/c ?

yesterday:

today:

-----------

i have been fighting to gain control over the oil color matching and the palette knife.
    its pretty hard, i think i need some instructions regarding the color mixing, next week i'll go to class and see what my teacher says.

there are a few palette knife smearing and painting methods that i *discovered* through my painting attempts, over all i think i am on some right track

-------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a friend came over her from a faraway city, then we had a 4-5 hours drawing session. on and off drawing on the same paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i need to start on an environment piece, buying a new canvas each time is pricey. but if you have some cardboards laying around you can make a nice painting canvas out of it.

materials:

1. carboards.
    2. two bottoms of water bottles
    3. brush.
    4. nylon stockings.
    5. old paint you got laying around the house (acrylic, mine is pink)
    6. flat nylons
    7. white glue, the simple stuff (to bond the paint and dry it quickly on the board)

so what did i do.

i stirred the paint to get it fluid again (it did sit for a few year)
    poured it into bottle #1 with the glue and stirred again
    used the nylon stocking on the other bottle and pour the paint through it to filter the chunks that didnt melt.
    started painting, you need to put a coat of color on each side. this will prevent it from bending after each coat place it on top of the flat nylon, this will also prevent it from bending.
    you need to put 3 coats on each side (side A side B,side A side B , side A side B).
    the last coat you put will be the very think coating. first coating will be horizontal second vertical etc etc..

after this whole thing you will have a cardboard piece that feels like a painted wall, the oil colors will not be swallowed into the cardboard. you can paint on it like on a normal canvas.

tada.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so here it is, about 12-16 hours (i lost track of time).
    what i wanted to achieve here is to match the hues as close as i can without color picking,
    to get the proportion right and get busy detailing some parts, the nipples were pretty hard until i figured out what to do (thanks lin)
    i can work on it more to achieve the perfect perfect realism and likesness, but whats the point ? its already 85% close imo.
    and lastly get the whole photoshop painting with opacity on pen pressure idea.

i saved progressed shots of the session. i will make an animatable gif out of it and post it soon.

with noise filter:

without noise filter:

original:

progress:

Last edited by warpy; November 22nd, 2007 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so with this piece i wanted to achieve proportion, gesture, see if my brush skills can look detailed with rough strokes.

the only colors i picked were from the girl in the ref. no tracing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jason chan study

2.5 hours a study of jason chan's drizzt
    after watching his concept art sketch and his usage of painter X and its brushes i decided to see i can deal with the brushes and that program. on many previous attempts i couldnt just use the brushes something was unclear. this time it was easier.

jason has richer colors, there are some imprefections.

MINE
    ORIGINAL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Good to see you started a sketchbook! Always good for an artist

I see you're heading into figure-land for the most part, it's good that you're doing studies, if mostly from pictures. You'll get faster and better results with real life models. Your colors are sometimes excellent but sometimes not so.. you seem to do a lot better without colorpicking (e.g. the oils) so stay away from that..

Really making strides since the first page so don't slack and keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good progress.
    i like your digital renderings.
    I think you should work on your traditional rendering, it looks a bit "dirty".
    Keep it up! really cool.

Photoshop Tutorials Anleitungen
    My Sketchbook

Criticism Leads to Improvement

Photoshop Tutorials!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i recently bought a gateway laptop, its wacom penabled. i can draw directly onto the screen, my fear of colors has died the minute i got the pc.. how odd

this should be a cover for arcana studios, big badz. i'd appreciate some crits

Last edited by warpy; June 1st, 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated the bad link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seeing some major improvement here. GREAT!

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.