Sleeping techniques?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping techniques?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sleeping techniques?

Backstory;
    So I work 2 jobs, and because one of them likes me working at night so much they won't change my schedule for the other one, so it looks like I have to quit the second one. My first job (grocery) is usually from 4-11PM, 5 nights a week (random), second job is delivery (wed. and Fri. from 3AM-12PM at the earliest. 3-4 at the latest). All my managers know I have the delivery job but won't change my schedule, and because of my car payments and insurance I can't quit the first job. I have applied to 20+ places, but nobody will hire anyone under 18 due to child labor laws.

Anyways I was wondering if there are any techniques people use to go to sleep. I try reading boring books, books I like, drawing, listening to ambient music/sounds, just laying with my eyes closed, running storylines through my head, drinking warm milk... but I seem to constantly (such as now) be up until wee hours of morning because my body won't go to sleep. My eyes don't even get heavy. This is a problem seeing as how I have to wake up in 2 hours for a 12 hour shift having just completed a 6 hour shift at my first job.

If anyone can contribute to my problem I would be most grateful. My loss of sleep is taking an extreme toll on my body, I've been floating in and out of sickness for the past few weeks.

(I searched the forums for "Insomnia" but didn't really come up with anything.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buy sleeping tablets from your grocery store, those actually do work. Just dont get dependent on them. If you cant fall asleep in 15 minutes then you got to get up and either read or other activity such as meditating for 15 minutes. Once your bored with that try falling asleep again.

Stretch before you go to bed, especially if you ache in the morning when you wake up. This will help with that stiffness. Warm milk and honey can help. Mainly because the warmth of the milk and soothing feeling it gives to your stomach will relax you. Shut off everything and lay in the pitch dark, and if youre afraid of the dark this will help you get over it.

Make sure every day you work your body to exhaustion. Working out, and challenging your mind will make you feel tired enough at night to fall asleep.

No stimulants such as caffeine after 4. Stay away from sugar, and begin eating healthy such as vegetables and fruit and if you want meat then replace anything with fish.

What I ahve witnessed with people I know who have sleep problems is they dont have a set schedual of times to sleep and times to get up. You're cycle gets screwy. Never sleep more than 7-8 hours, and always force yourself to get up. Become active right away.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds great, but I like red meat D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest reading Jean-Jaques Rousseau's Discourse on the Origin of Inequality or better yet, any 18th century Enlightenment philosopher. (Although in my experience, this one is probably the worst I've come across) It's a short book as you might notice (112 pages) but I guarantee you'll be knocked out by the end of the first paragraph. It's about as close as you can get to reading a foreign language without actually doing it.

Anyway, yeah. I always tried doing the readings for the class that I was assigned that book before bed. Sleep always won.

That's probably the best suggestion I can give you. Aside from sleeping pills, obviously.

edit- Oh yeah, Chimp's point about being very active during the day is very important, too. Although I don't buy that meat stuff, I don't think it'll have any effect on your ability to fall asleep.

Last edited by Gory; August 10th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Red meat is fine, once and a while as a treat. I love red meat. But I learned to love fish. Fish provides a lot of nutrients for you brain, so over time it will benefit you. Plus many scientists are finding out people who live longer, initially have a healthier brain. So challenge that damn thing everyday to exhaustion. Try doing puzzles everyday, and perhaps try learning a new language haha. just keep thinking and challenging yourself and you will be tired enough everyday to sleep.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one more reason to read that Rousseau book I suggested. ;\

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you working so hard when you aren't even 18, dude?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gory: Haha sorry man didnt even see your post before my last one. Yeah the whole meat thing isnt that big of a deal. Hell red meat will even help you get to sleep because of the hard time the body has digesting it. One thing about red meat though, and jerky is a good example, is that it does give an energy boost.

Cattle drivers always had jerky on hand for this very reason, and also because it was probably all they had to be able to carry with them without it getting old. But redmeat doesnt have too many long term benefits as long as you use all that protein for working out and burning.

Oh also to add. Never eat a lot late at night. That's also a reason why people have a hard time getting up, and I can vouche for that. Eating a lot right before sleep will feel like a hang over in the morning and it will be very hard to get up because you bod overnight was working hard and on overtime trying to digest all that crap.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
HunterKiller : money ? For car insurance and for living ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    HunterKiller : money ? For car insurance and for living ; )
    Doesn't his parents support him at all?
    I don't believe that his car insurance could be costing him all his earnings. If that's the case, then having car may not be worth it.
    This is exactly why I haven't bought a car, and don't plan to do so in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been determined that an excellent way to improve your chances for getting a good night's sleep is to exercise vigorously in the morning. Exercise at any time of day helps, but the most effective time is early morning. A good long run, or riding a bicycle a few miles, would do the trick.

Stay well-hydrated through the day, and don't eat heavy meals- smaller, more frequent meals will give you a more stable energy level through the day, and will help avoid stressful metabolic crash cycles (after-lunch drowsiness).

Eat a low-fat breakfast of protein (yogurt, fish, eggs) and complex carbohydrates (fruit, whole grains) and avoid simple sugars like sodas, candy, energy drinks, and energy bars (this applies to all meals, really, but it's probably most important for breakfast.) Your body will be more relaxed and willing to make the metabolic adjustment for sleep if it hasn't been on that stressful metabolic rollercoaster all day.

It's a good idea to avoid caffeine altogether, or at least limit it to the early/mid afternoon. In terms of putting the body through stress throughout the day, morning is just about the worst possible time to be drinking coffee. It'll leave you screwed up all day. If you smoke, that's a major impediment to sleep right there, among myriad other serious health risks.

If you're overweight, simply losing weight will help you get sleep. With less body mass, your body can adapt to sleep more quickly.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if I am over weight or not. I am about 190, and I'm 5' 11", but my body fat ratio is EXTREMLY low.

I didn't get any sleep tonight at all. 0.

Also, HunterK, My car is a 2000 Toyota Avalon. With taxes and all it was about 14k. Spent the 3000 I saved most of my life, my parents matched that, and I've been working since february to pay it off quick. I pay for insurance and gas and the car payment, my parents take car of groceries and junk so I can pay off the car faster (the longer you take to pay it off the more the interest will cost you. I believe I stil have around 5k to go)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a technique I use that works pretty well, I figured out how it works while listening to music and being very tired, generally I cant fall asleep easily when listening to music, so when I actually fall asleep, I'm instantly awakened by the music, and what I figured out was that just before I fall asleep my mind always trails off thinking about something completely random, and something that usually doesn't make any logical sense what so ever, even though my mind "believes" it, very much like a dream in other words!

So the technique is to think about the very first thing that pops into your head, dont think about any stories, dont think about social life or problems (If you are stressed out and have a lot to think about it can help to write everything that you need to do down on a piece of paper, it will tell your mind that you can relax and not have to worry about remembering everything you have to do, because its all on the list you just made)
    Just keep on thinking random thoughts, whatever pops into your head! visualize more than thinking words... eventually you might realize how illogical something you just thought of was, even though you believed it 100% and then you probably aren't far off from falling asleep!
    So basically, you have to shut down your logical/problem solving type thinking, because that just keeps you awake.

It can also help to use your bed for nothing else other than sleeping, ie no reading, watching TV etc, do that somewhere else!

anyway, I hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, Hunter Killer, buying a car was the best investment I made, but I would recommend something. My mom sort of tricked me into getting a car with more crap than I needed. I easily could have found a car that would last me just as long and have just as good gas mileage and be just as safe on AutoTrader, but for some reason we got this one. If my car was paid off already, I'd be rolling in money. In fact, I choose to pay my car off fast. 3 weeks ago I put up a 1000 dollar principle.

The fact of the matter is any money you don't put into the car COSTS you money in interest. The less money you have left to pay, the lower your interest is. So they way I see it money spent now is money saved later. In the past 7 months I have probably made around 4k dollars minimum, and keep in mind I was still in highschool in February. Add to this the 3k from my allowance from being 9 y/old to 15 y/old that wasn't spent on Montreal (spent 1k on Montreal workshop :X) and you got 7k. My brother thinks like you in terms of buying a car, but he is 19, no car, no license, no friends, no money saved up at all.

Last edited by Justin.; August 10th, 2007 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With diet and exercise I try to make sure I get good-quality sleep, but occasionally I need a bit of help. What usually works is to try to do some drawing in bed, or whip out the nintendo DS and play till I can't concentrate. A lot of the time my sleeplessness is caused by my conscious desire to keep doing stuff. I'm a night-owl, and I generally only get into a good groove creatively between midnight and 2 AM. By forcing myself to bed, I'm taking steps to force my body and my conscious desires to sync up- the energy and concentration required to draw or play a game sort of drains out the last bit of will to stay awake. A level or two of Mario usually wipes me out.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    My brother thinks like you in terms of buying a car, but he is 19, no car, no license, no friends, no money saved up at all.
    Good thing that the 'thinking' is where the similarities end, lol.

I can't really offer much in terms of sleeping advice, I have trouble with this myself.
    I know that good exercise definitely helps, but you're already strapped for time, so that's not really an option.

What archipelago said is good. I find that moiling over thoughts is one the biggest sleep killer for me. I could stay awake all night just churning those thoughts over and over.
    It's difficult to just not thinking about anything, so again, like archipelago said, just try go with whatever random thought that comes to mind, but don't dwell on anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep your eyes open and stare at the wall, its reverse psychology on your body.
    I find that If I do something very unstimulating but requires concentration, if I get to the stage where my body just doesnt concentrate at all I can switch off the lights and fall asleep.

Also, stress keeps you awake, from the sound of it, working two jobs with irregular hours seems also to be screwing up your natural body clock.

After not sleeping do you feel constantly drowsy all day?
    If you dont feel to bad, you could always exploit your insomnia with drawing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have sleeping trouble as well=\ People told me it was stress related.

Whatever trick you find, DO NOT TAKE PILLS! NEVER!

What I do when I really want to sleep I go out and jog till I get tired, come home and take a hot shower. Your blood pump faster and the hot water will relax you. It don't work every time but it does, sometimes.

I'm not sure if you suffer of insomnia but if you feel very tired and still can't sleep, this is insomnia.

What to do regulary is: Don't watch TV in your room. The less distraction you have in your bedroom the better it is. Don't take coffee ( OH I'M SMART!) or whatever else like soda and high sugar stuff... If you are in middle of something, don't go to bed, finish it and go to bed after.

Maybe is just your biological clock that is unstable, but if it is insomnia, there is next to nothing you can do but live with it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alot of rum usually does it for me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From the sounds of it your screwing your body clock up. You most likely cant sleep because your body thinks you should be awake. Its like your body is preparing you for the next night shift.
    Night shifts can really knacker your body up. A friend of mine used to work night shifts at Tesco but after a while he became quite ill and lost a lot of weight.
    Its easy for me to say quit the night shift, however I know how bloody awkward it is to find another job.

The only idea I could suggest is have ago at freelance. I can see you want to grow as an artist so why not give it a try?

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am with nonie on that LOL, it does help relax you and keep your thoughts focused on one thing. the moment I hit the pillow my mind goes into over driving I start brain storming thinking out various projects, so it can be an hour or two before I get sleep.

You sound like you are over worked and stressed on a high after working so hard and your body is in over drive.
    I would suggest a few beers but not sure if the over 21 law applies. man the plus of being irish you get to drink legally at 18.

may be a small comfort your body will adjust, I've suffered from insomnia for about 5 yrs.... the first 6 months are hell after that you get used not not having regular sleep.

probably not much help.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, wish I could halp ya but I'm afriad I'm a member of the insomiacs club also hehe.

Cx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Question: are you spending all of this effort and lack of sleep just to have a car? If that's the case, sell the car, quit both jobs, get some proper sleep, and put your time into your education.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should at least complain to your mom about tricking you into getting a semi-luxury car, if not slap her.

as for getting to sleep, getting into a pattern helps, but with your work schedule be so out of wack I think the best option is the quit the delivery job. 3AM to Noon, 15 hour shifts? At two days a week how much is it contributing to your financial well-being? Is the APR on the car worth the health issues you're experiencing and the stress you have to endure?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i wish id seen this earlier.. cuz ive had the same problem for about a decade. i didnt read al the posts so i'll just get to my response:

i too have insmonia, been to doctors and 'specialists' about it and from what ive learned, its the way your body has adjusted to your way of life.

also induced by stress, illness, and 'mental anxiety' such as over thinking things, worrying about exams etc..

the best remedy for it is literally to clear your mind, HOWEVER you can do that.

BUT.. in your case, i think its that your body has become adjusted to your sucky work schedule, getting only a few hrs of sleep and being on he go for many hrs and long shifts.

basically, after a month or two of repititious activities, your body tells itself 'well, i guess we're gonna do the same thing every day, i better adapt so i can keep doing it'..

and thats it. to change its 'settings' right now, you gotta change your habits.. and eventually your body and mind will adapt.

from what ive learned, studieid, and heard.. thats it man. time and habit changes.

or lots of booze and sex.. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG. View Post

or lots of booze and sex.. - JAG
    Best idea yet!

Cx

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I once took two 2 'natural' sleeping pills and stayed up due to the room spinning and me becoming nauseated... don't take pills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    I once took two 2 'natural' sleeping pills and stayed up due to the room spinning and me becoming nauseated... don't take pills.

Wusssss

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the no meat/dairy thing before sleeping is much use, I'm vegan and still can't get to sleep

I sometimes take over the counter pills but I have a tendency to abuse medication like that, so I don't like to very often. My GP's suggested therapy before prescribed pills, perhaps because I told him some nights I can't sleep for thinking of everything that's annoying me. Still, most of the time I'm not, I just lie there twiddling my thumbs.

I've found that taking a hot shower and having a hot drink with vanilla in bed sometimes helps. I'd say it was your work schedule too, especially if you've got so little time to sleep. It takes time for your body to wind down, hence why recently I couldn't even sleep after traveling 80 miles across Turkey in an old van, getting stuck in the middle of no where, getting through airports and a 5 hour flight, then getting the tubes and train home. Still completely awake. And I had work the next morning at 7am, ack.

I think Seedling has the best advice though - after seeing the trouble my friends are going through with their cars, I'm incredibly glad I don't have one to keep me more awake at night.

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.