Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Sleeping techniques?

Backstory;
    So I work 2 jobs, and because one of them likes me working at night so much they won't change my schedule for the other one, so it looks like I have to quit the second one. My first job (grocery) is usually from 4-11PM, 5 nights a week (random), second job is delivery (wed. and Fri. from 3AM-12PM at the earliest. 3-4 at the latest). All my managers know I have the delivery job but won't change my schedule, and because of my car payments and insurance I can't quit the first job. I have applied to 20+ places, but nobody will hire anyone under 18 due to child labor laws.

Anyways I was wondering if there are any techniques people use to go to sleep. I try reading boring books, books I like, drawing, listening to ambient music/sounds, just laying with my eyes closed, running storylines through my head, drinking warm milk... but I seem to constantly (such as now) be up until wee hours of morning because my body won't go to sleep. My eyes don't even get heavy. This is a problem seeing as how I have to wake up in 2 hours for a 12 hour shift having just completed a 6 hour shift at my first job.

If anyone can contribute to my problem I would be most grateful. My loss of sleep is taking an extreme toll on my body, I've been floating in and out of sickness for the past few weeks.

(I searched the forums for "Insomnia" but didn't really come up with anything.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Buy sleeping tablets from your grocery store, those actually do work. Just dont get dependent on them. If you cant fall asleep in 15 minutes then you got to get up and either read or other activity such as meditating for 15 minutes. Once your bored with that try falling asleep again.

Stretch before you go to bed, especially if you ache in the morning when you wake up. This will help with that stiffness. Warm milk and honey can help. Mainly because the warmth of the milk and soothing feeling it gives to your stomach will relax you. Shut off everything and lay in the pitch dark, and if youre afraid of the dark this will help you get over it.

Make sure every day you work your body to exhaustion. Working out, and challenging your mind will make you feel tired enough at night to fall asleep.

No stimulants such as caffeine after 4. Stay away from sugar, and begin eating healthy such as vegetables and fruit and if you want meat then replace anything with fish.

What I ahve witnessed with people I know who have sleep problems is they dont have a set schedual of times to sleep and times to get up. You're cycle gets screwy. Never sleep more than 7-8 hours, and always force yourself to get up. Become active right away.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Sounds great, but I like red meat D:

Thanks
    I suggest reading Jean-Jaques Rousseau's Discourse on the Origin of Inequality or better yet, any 18th century Enlightenment philosopher. (Although in my experience, this one is probably the worst I've come across) It's a short book as you might notice (112 pages) but I guarantee you'll be knocked out by the end of the first paragraph. It's about as close as you can get to reading a foreign language without actually doing it.

Anyway, yeah. I always tried doing the readings for the class that I was assigned that book before bed. Sleep always won.

That's probably the best suggestion I can give you. Aside from sleeping pills, obviously.

edit- Oh yeah, Chimp's point about being very active during the day is very important, too. Although I don't buy that meat stuff, I don't think it'll have any effect on your ability to fall asleep.

Last edited by Gory; August 10th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks
    Red meat is fine, once and a while as a treat. I love red meat. But I learned to love fish. Fish provides a lot of nutrients for you brain, so over time it will benefit you. Plus many scientists are finding out people who live longer, initially have a healthier brain. So challenge that damn thing everyday to exhaustion. Try doing puzzles everyday, and perhaps try learning a new language haha. just keep thinking and challenging yourself and you will be tired enough everyday to sleep.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

Thanks
    Just one more reason to read that Rousseau book I suggested. ;\

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Why are you working so hard when you aren't even 18, dude?

Thanks
    Gory: Haha sorry man didnt even see your post before my last one. Yeah the whole meat thing isnt that big of a deal. Hell red meat will even help you get to sleep because of the hard time the body has digesting it. One thing about red meat though, and jerky is a good example, is that it does give an energy boost.

Cattle drivers always had jerky on hand for this very reason, and also because it was probably all they had to be able to carry with them without it getting old. But redmeat doesnt have too many long term benefits as long as you use all that protein for working out and burning.

Oh also to add. Never eat a lot late at night. That's also a reason why people have a hard time getting up, and I can vouche for that. Eating a lot right before sleep will feel like a hang over in the morning and it will be very hard to get up because you bod overnight was working hard and on overtime trying to digest all that crap.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
HunterKiller : money ? For car insurance and for living ; )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    HunterKiller : money ? For car insurance and for living ; )
    Doesn't his parents support him at all?
    I don't believe that his car insurance could be costing him all his earnings. If that's the case, then having car may not be worth it.
    This is exactly why I haven't bought a car, and don't plan to do so in the near future.

Thanks
    It has been determined that an excellent way to improve your chances for getting a good night's sleep is to exercise vigorously in the morning. Exercise at any time of day helps, but the most effective time is early morning. A good long run, or riding a bicycle a few miles, would do the trick.

Stay well-hydrated through the day, and don't eat heavy meals- smaller, more frequent meals will give you a more stable energy level through the day, and will help avoid stressful metabolic crash cycles (after-lunch drowsiness).

Eat a low-fat breakfast of protein (yogurt, fish, eggs) and complex carbohydrates (fruit, whole grains) and avoid simple sugars like sodas, candy, energy drinks, and energy bars (this applies to all meals, really, but it's probably most important for breakfast.) Your body will be more relaxed and willing to make the metabolic adjustment for sleep if it hasn't been on that stressful metabolic rollercoaster all day.

It's a good idea to avoid caffeine altogether, or at least limit it to the early/mid afternoon. In terms of putting the body through stress throughout the day, morning is just about the worst possible time to be drinking coffee. It'll leave you screwed up all day. If you smoke, that's a major impediment to sleep right there, among myriad other serious health risks.

If you're overweight, simply losing weight will help you get sleep. With less body mass, your body can adapt to sleep more quickly.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T. S. Eliot

ArenaNet Artists' Sketch Blog

Thanks
    I'm not sure if I am over weight or not. I am about 190, and I'm 5' 11", but my body fat ratio is EXTREMLY low.

I didn't get any sleep tonight at all. 0.

Also, HunterK, My car is a 2000 Toyota Avalon. With taxes and all it was about 14k. Spent the 3000 I saved most of my life, my parents matched that, and I've been working since february to pay it off quick. I pay for insurance and gas and the car payment, my parents take car of groceries and junk so I can pay off the car faster (the longer you take to pay it off the more the interest will cost you. I believe I stil have around 5k to go)

Thanks

• Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.