Art: Industrial designers first steps in Concept Art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Industrial designers first steps in Concept Art

I've always admired concept art for the raw creative spirit that I see everywhere on this site and I hope to work in the entertainment field designing vehicles for movies and games.

The first images are of a hyrdrofoil concept that I designed for a project at school and the motorcycle designs are for a chopper that my dad's gonna build.

Industrial designers first steps in Concept Art

If anyone has any advice for how to put an entertainment portfolio together or where to start looking, it would be appreciated. Also crits are always welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey... I really like alot of what you're doing. My main comment/crit would be that the way you're handling your photoshop color, it's coming out very "airbrushy". Since your work reminds me alot of Scott Robertson, maybe you might benefit by checking out some of his DVD tutorials and it might help with this. Yannick Dusseut also has a great way of painting in the computer that would be relevant to what you are doing here. Your designs are nice and there is quite a bit of good work going on in your posting I think.

As far as working in an entertainment field, I don't know much about movies, but I work in games. Strictly conceptual art jobs are uncommon and vary from studio to studio. Most studios have artists who do concept work and then double up on other tasks, so if you're looking for games, that's the reality I've encountered if you're working in-house. Freelance, I guess it would just depend on the needs of the studio. The more varied your portfolio, the more likely it is you'll be able to work consistently. With just a little tweaking, I think you would be able to "check the box" of being able to do some nice tech work. Maybe spend some time developing a character/environment portfolio or branching out into 3D if that's of interest to you. I know it's different from conceptual work, but if you're interested in working in games, it will increase your chances tenfold if you know even a tiny bit of 3D. That said, I wouldn't advise going that path if you have no interest in that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs: my only suggestions is to "sharpen" your technique... the edges of your objects, even the important & in-focus ones, seem too blurry.. and also the coloring seems too saturated and standard: meaning the sky is way too blue, the ocean is also too blue, the clouds are too white - in real life it might not be like that. A tip: Remember that stuff that's in the distance (like the city skyline, in real life, tends to desaturate & start blending into the color of the sky, even if it's a bright sunny day.Those chopper designs kicks ass and I hope you can show us the photos of it someday (when your dad finishes building it!) One last thought: try adding more texture to the overall illustration, but make it very subtle, so it won't be overkill.

good luck and keep on posting!

later,
    GRiNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice guys. When you start a digital piece, do you have a color pallete selected before you started or is it more spontaneous? Also, do you create your own textures or do you use texture brushes? Lastly, where is the best place to get digital brushes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where can I get one of these bikes? Great!

It's fun doing the impossible - Walt Disney www.quicksummer.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey boys, don't blame the author for his rendering technique. Main goal of this drawings is vehicle design - not the matte painting... Bikes are really nice, so goal is reached. %)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.