Finished But Lacking
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finished But Lacking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished But Lacking

Last edited by Kasen Kato; August 9th, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
    Art can explain whatever the mind of man himself can conceive.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just FYI, it would be easier for anyone viewing the thread to see the images in the post itself instead of clicking external links. You can use free sites like photobucket.com to host your artwork and just post an image attachment, or upload it to CA's server. In fact I think you're supposed to, but now you know and can do it in the future

One thing for sure that I see is that you lack a definite light source. You render everything with the same amount of shadow/highlight. Your toad was better in that respect but could still use some more dramatic shading. You also blurred out his back leg in an attempt to make it look farther away, but it would have been far more effective to use shading to push it back.

For the human characters, I can see some proportional/anatomy flaws, and the hands need work. Do you study realistic anatomy or take life drawing classes? I would highly recommend it even if you're going for a more stylistic approach. Because the body is so complex you need to understand how it looks and behaves before you can effectively simplify the forms.

In terms of your color choices and shading, you need to look beyond just lighter and darker shades of the same color and add some variation. And work on your value relationships. Try turning your picture of Kuzu into greyscale mode for instance. His face, arms and legs blend in and get lost among the torn fabric, right? Once you have good value relationships your shading will be much more convincing. Be bolder. And as a general rule avoid using pure black or pure white for large sections of an image.

I've been studying value a lot recently, and one thing that helps me is to sketch it out completely greyscale before I even consider adding color. It lets you work out what areas you want dark, light, your highlights etc. without the added complication and confusion.

I hope that helps

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Please attach them directly here. Many people won't bother to comment on posts with links, especially DA links.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright So i fixed the link thing and made it the straight picture...Thank you setinal for the advice...let me interpret what you said...You say that my anatomy is poor and i need to work on color and depth....^_^ sounds understandable....i would love a class but im still in high school and have my hands tied and all lol so i have to teach my self...and with my colors i shade by making the base color darker and then adding saturation...and bassicaly the opposite for light....any advice on color schemes?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Check out out tutorials section (it's a subforum of the Critique Center). Among other things, you'll find a link to this.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't have time for an actual life drawing class, the next best thing (and something you should do even if you are taking a class) is carry a sketchbook with you everywhere and sketch people you see. At a bus stop, at the lunch table, standing around the mall etc. It'll teach you to observe and translate what you see onto paper. You'll also learn how clothes behave and so forth. For the basic anatomy of a person sans clothes, you could study anatomy books for that. If you go around the forums you'll hear a lot about the books by Bridgman, and how great they are for practicing anatomy. They're right.

For color schemes... it depends on what you're trying to portray. Like Elwell says, there are threads in the tutorials section that explain color pretty well, so I would definitely recommend browing there and absorbing as much as you can when you have the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gracias to ye all.....^_^ i will do so....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.