Art: New Paintng: Forest Fire

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Paintng: Forest Fire

I've been offline for awhile - I moved to a new apartment, and finally got my internet connection going at my new pad today.

This piece is my first attempt at speed-painting. I originally intended to spend 1 or 2 hours on it, maximum. But...... I got caught up in the details and it ended up taking much longer (more like 8 hours.) So, as a speed-painting experiment, it's a failure. But I like the final result and am glad that I spent the extra time on it.

New Paintng: Forest Fire

Awaiting crits...

- me

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Alex Baer is offline Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sanhueza, i think there should be a lot of thick darker smoke in the air that would block some of visibility near the top of this painting, and maybe some smoke around part of the figure for a more mysterious effect. very cool painting though.

My Sketchbook

Soldiers/Mercenaries SB

"Ooh! Now that's good work! The skulls... the bodies... you give it all such a glow! I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow..this piece is awesome!!! 5* stars here..i just think the yellow leaves stand out a bit too much.. great work none the less..keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with battlesmith in the yellow leaves point, just a question, r they done with the photoshop leave brush?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, the leaves were made using the leaf brush which is part of Photoshop's nature brush set. Thanks for the tips about smoke and the yellow leaves! I originally planned to erase parts of the yellow leaves to make them look more like sparks, but liked how they looked and decided to keep them whole. Maybe they stand out too much...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    100 points for concept and composition. -50 points for using a PHOTOSHOP PRESET BRUSH! I'm sorry I hate when i see these used in a serious piece. Like when I see people using the stupid grass blade brush in their work, its like using a stencil a 5 year old would. Anyways overall I think its a successful piece. Keep pushing.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, those leaf-brush leaves are really killing it for me. If you go back in and break them up with brushes similar to what you did the rest with, to make them less regular and identifiable, it would help immeasurably.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also about the leaves...i think they would be dark silhouettes only against that bright background. can you try one with all the leaves dark?

and the preset brush kept you from exploring a lot of interesting shapes the leaves could become.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the image! Awesome mood!

I also like the contrast between the graphically clean and accurate leaves and the sketchy style of the rest of the picture. (personally I don't care if those leaves are presets or not actually)

The only crit I have is the greyish, washed out area in the background on the right side of the girl. I'd prefer that area a lot brighter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

I knew people were going to have a problem with the leaves....

It's true that they don't match the other brushes in the painting. I've been looking at alot of traditional Japanese painting recently, and they often incorporate multiple identical leaves in a pleasing manner. Of course, the rest of this painting isn't in that style. I wouldn't want to go back and create them over one-by-one. I think what Elwell suggests is the best idea: break them up with different brushes to make them less uniform and stencil-like.

However... I like the leaves for the reason that GumboYaYa pointed out: "the contrast between the graphically clean and accurate leaves and the sketchy style of the rest of the picture." Plus, my Mom likes them :p

So I'm still on the fence about it. I'll probably look back on this in 6 months and be like, "yeah, those leaves suck, I need to do them over!"

deliciouspeter - I looked at photos of forest fires at night for reference, and the leaves get brighter and redder the closer they are to the fire, until everything blends into a reddish haze in the background. I think it's the light of the fire reflected off of the smoke which gives them that atmospheric perspective effect. Might look interesting having them all darker, though.

GumboYaYa - I thought that grey area at the center of the flames was intense white, but now that I look at it closer, I see that it's not! I can make it brighter.

Thank you all very much for your input. Peace!

Last edited by sanhueza; August 13th, 2007 at 02:56 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.